Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Furniture'household stores in Halifax/NS

Furniture'household stores in Halifax/NS

Old Nov 15th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold
Default Furniture'household stores in Halifax/NS

Hi, we are moving to Halifax in January and I'm just wondering what stores are there for buying the likes of beds, desks, etc. I'm not looking for particularly expensive things because they're mainly for children's rooms - I'm thinking along the lines of Argos in the UK. I looked at Walmart (I know, I know....) but they have a great range in the US but not in Canada. Any ideas- my son wants to find out so he knows whether or not to take his own bed (very old, cheap Ikea one that may not successfully make the move anyway). Thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:08 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture'household stores in Halifax/NS

Originally Posted by Merry
Hi, we are moving to Halifax in January and I'm just wondering what stores are there for buying the likes of beds, desks, etc. I'm not looking for particularly expensive things because they're mainly for children's rooms - I'm thinking along the lines of Argos in the UK. I looked at Walmart (I know, I know....) but they have a great range in the US but not in Canada. Any ideas- my son wants to find out so he knows whether or not to take his own bed (very old, cheap Ikea one that may not successfully make the move anyway). Thanks!
Leons in Burnside in Dartmouth
Ashley Furniture in Bayers Lake in Halifax
The Brick in Bayers Lake in Halifax
World Wide Furniture in Halifax
Gallery One Furniture in Dartmouth
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Leons in Burnside in Dartmouth
Ashley Furniture in Bayers Lake in Halifax
The Brick in Bayers Lake in Halifax
World Wide Furniture in Halifax
Gallery One Furniture in Dartmouth

Surplus Freight in Burnside
http://www.surplusfreight.ca/catalog/

Sears/Sears outlet at Halifax Shopping Centre

http://www.sears.ca/

wouldn't recommend The Brick at Bayers - we had really bad experience with them when we first got here
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:40 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Surplus Freight in Burnside
http://www.surplusfreight.ca/catalog/

Sears/Sears outlet at Halifax Shopping Centre

http://www.sears.ca/

wouldn't recommend The Brick at Bayers - we had really bad experience with them when we first got here
I did mean to add that the Brick are a bit hit and miss!

Do you happen to know, oh wise one, if Sears Outlet do Appliances?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Thanks - that's exactly the information I needed
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:56 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

I did mean to add that the Brick are a bit hit and miss!

On the other end of the scale, we had no problems with The Brick. We completely furnished our house with them. They turned up on time with everything we had bought, they even put some things together which they weren't meant to.

Horses for courses I suppose.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Turnip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merry
We've found the cost of furniture seems high compared with the UK and wished we'd bought some Argos put together stuff with us in the container.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they do
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:04 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

We used The Brick as well.Absolutely no issuesgood service

But now i come to think of it, we were supposed to get a free surprise gift with our bed.....and we didn't......grrrrr

Probably would have been a waterproof sheet anyways
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:29 pm
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

I bought a few bits in the UK (mostly Ikea) and shipped them in our container (knew what we needed as had already bought the house here).

Here we have mainly bought from Costco and West Art Furnishings (closing down in Dec). Also take a look at Kijiji, we have bought solid wood bedroom sets, bookcases, desks, leather recliner and more from there.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budcolin

But now i come to think of it, we were supposed to get a free surprise gift with our bed.....and we didn't......grrrrr

we bought 2 matching couches from them - they didn't match when delivered and one was the wrong size
It took 5 months before we got it replaced and finally got what we ordered.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We got a flat screen TV...you should go back
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:34 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We got a flat screen TV...you should go back
I seen the promotion they were doing with the flat screen tv's, but it was only with certain items.
I kind of remember the salesman saying it was a crappy mattress protector we were supposed to get.
Maybe i'll phone up and try for the tv?????but do i ask for the 50" or the 60"?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I seen the promotion they were doing with the flat screen tv's, but it was only with certain items.
I kind of remember the salesman saying it was a crappy mattress protector we were supposed to get.
Maybe i'll phone up and try for the tv?????but do i ask for the 50" or the 60"?
It wasn't quite that big I'm afraid. But then does size really matter?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:26 pm
Wellington NS

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
It wasn't quite that big I'm afraid. But then does size really matter?
Best ask the missus