Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Furnished vs Unfurnished accomodation in Vancouver

Furnished vs Unfurnished accomodation in Vancouver

Old May 10th 2011, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

sharmaravneet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Furnished vs Unfurnished accomodation in Vancouver

Can people sharing their experience/knowledge regarding rented accommodation in Vancouvers suburbs?

1. Looking for a sky train station to be close.

2. We are family of 3 and are looking to rent apartment/house/Basement in Vancouvers suburbs (Budget of $1000-$1800 p/month).

3. Is it cheap to take a unfurnished acco and buy/rent own furniture?

4. Any websites which advertise furnished homes?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old May 10th 2011, 3:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furnished vs Unfurnished accomodation in Vancouver

Originally Posted by sharmaravneet

3. Is it cheap to take a unfurnished acco and buy/rent own furniture?

4. Any websites which advertise furnished homes?
Furnished places are either vacation homes or short stay suites for visiting executives. Nothing within your budget.

The vast majority of rentals are unfurnished.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:23 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with JE. Generally that budget will only get you an unfurnished apartment/basement suite/half house.
Old May 10th 2011, 7:46 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

I posted this on another thread but you might find it useful:

Originally Posted by alexisatk
As summer is comming up, I would look into subletting student accommodation. You can usually get a place for the summer furnished as the student would be comming back in the fall and doesn't want to pay for the apartment during the summer while they are away. In the same vein, you might also be able to sublet an apartment where the student does not want the furniture any longer and sells it to you at a discounted price.

If you do need to buy furniture, don't buy new. Kijiji is your best bet. When I got my first apartment I furnished it completly from Kijiji and then resold everything 1.5 years later for the same price I paid originally when I decided to move to Scotland on a Working Holiday Visa.
Originally Posted by alexisatk
Another option is look for people who are looking for room mates, in these cases they generally already have the furnishings for the apartment and kitchen. You would just likely need a bed or furnishings for your room.
Old May 10th 2011, 7:48 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Sorry, I missed the part where you were a family.

The best thing is to get a unfurnished apartment and use www.kijiji.com and www.craigslist.com to buy used furniture. When you buy a house/move/ect you usually can resell it for the amount you pair or slightly less.