British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Fumigation at customs! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/fumigation-customs-677601/)

justie Jul 21st 2010 10:22 am

Fumigation at customs!

Had a shipping guy out to estimate shipping costs. He really tried to put me off taking any gardening equipment (i was going to take the lot, shovels, forks, strimmer etc). He said anything that has had contact with the outside including camping stuff would be unpacked to be checked and probably fumigated. I know i can get the old jiff out for some things but can't see me getting very far with the strimmer.
Can anyone enlighten me, have you been fumigated? and is it a costly procedure?

Many thanks

justie

spaceace Jul 21st 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Fumigation at customs!

costly if found, YES

likely, maybe

We shipped outdoor stuff, trampoline, garden furniture etc. I put on the goods to follow sheet 'Trampoline, powerwashed'

I don't know if that was sufficient to put the customs person off the scent so to speak, but it worked.

The consequences can be costly as they will charge you for cleaning OR disposal, both being pricey.

You takes your chance.

Good luck!

jenny28 Jul 21st 2010 1:59 pm

We brought our camping stuff over including 4 tents of various sizes. We had gardening equipment listed but didn't bring it in the end. Our things where not fumigated.
Maybe we where lucky.

Almost Canadian Jul 21st 2010 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jenny28 (Post 8717849)
We brought our camping stuff over including 4 tents of various sizes. We had gardening equipment listed but didn't bring it in the end. Our things where not fumigated.
Maybe we where lucky.

We brought all our gardening equipment with us and simply washed them with the garden hose. No fumigation for us.

Tuppence Jul 21st 2010 2:52 pm

We just washed stuff with water and bleach. When we were with customs in Fredericton, they guy looked down the list of stuff packed in our container and pointed at the garden pots and tools. I jumped in with 'yes, and we scrubbed them and cleaned them with bleach'. He smiled and told us that was great, and they wouldn't bother opening the container to check because we obviously knew what we were doing.

justie Jul 21st 2010 4:34 pm

Thank you sooo much for all your replies thats very helpful!

Cassie 10000 Jul 21st 2010 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by justie (Post 8717360)
Had a shipping guy out to estimate shipping costs. He really tried to put me off taking any gardening equipment (i was going to take the lot, shovels, forks, strimmer etc). He said anything that has had contact with the outside including camping stuff would be unpacked to be checked and probably fumigated. I know i can get the old jiff out for some things but can't see me getting very far with the strimmer.
Can anyone enlighten me, have you been fumigated? and is it a costly procedure?

Many thanks

justie

Jays fluid is your friend :)

We got told if they find something with dirt on then they ship it all back at your expense :eek: We or should I say "I" cleaned everything about three times!

paolosmythe Jul 21st 2010 6:01 pm

our bikes got queried.

i stated that they were spotless as they had always been stored in the house.

that was good enough.:thumbup:

it seems they only fear great globs of mud

Aviator Jul 21st 2010 6:56 pm

Jayes fluid is the best as a disinfectant.

Shame someone did not tell the British Army some years back. A whole shipload of military vehicles coming for an exercise was turned away as they had not been washed before being put on the ship.

debbiem Jul 21st 2010 9:15 pm

not totally troooooooo. it was during foot and mouth - they had been prepped as per 'normal', just not to the new improved f&m stringent expectations (they had come straight from Salisbury Plain to Marchwood to be loaded - loads of foot and mouth all over the area) - ask dinger24 about his boots... ;) at the time even people were getting off planes and having to wade through disinfectant troughs at YYC...

A little bit norty of you to bring this up to frighten the OP :rofl:

nikki dreaming Jul 21st 2010 10:17 pm

Our shipping company dealt with this for us and had a form comfirming that this has been done prior to the outdoor goods being loaded into the container.

Our only glitch was at customs releasing the container that when asked for our proof that the items had been cleaned with the appropriate canadian recognised jeys fluid stuff we didnt have a copy of this form:eek:, it was all held and sent on to the agent this end in Canada, the customs guy let it go, but I was freaking for a bit that they would use the opportunity to order the container be opened at large expense to us:eek:

All seems a nonsense, when you can travel normally without any of this issue.

You take your chances I guess, but it is not unheard of that they will request to open up your container and bill you

Almost Canadian Jul 21st 2010 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming (Post 8718862)
Our shipping company dealt with this for us and had a form comfirming that this has been done prior to the outdoor goods being loaded into the container.

Our only glitch was at customs releasing the container that when asked for our proof that the items had been cleaned with the appropriate canadian recognised jeys fluid stuff we didnt have a copy of this form:eek:, it was all held and sent on to the agent this end in Canada, the customs guy let it go, but I was freaking for a bit that they would use the opportunity to order the container be opened at large expense to us:eek:

All seems a nonsense, when you can travel normally without any of this issue.

You take your chances I guess, but it is not unheard of that they will request to open up your container and bill you

FFS not only are non Canadian qualifications good enough for Canada, now the rest of the world's cleaning products are not up to scratch.:thumbdown:

nikki dreaming Jul 21st 2010 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 8718996)
FFS not only are non Canadian qualifications good enough for Canada, now the rest of the world's cleaning products are not up to scratch.:thumbdown:

I know:eek: according to the paperwork we were given by our shipping co there was a specific cleaning product we had to use , granted this could be their doing, but we just paid the $100 to try and save pain later on, something beginning with V

Posidrive Jul 22nd 2010 5:16 pm

I don't think that they are generally that bothered, unless you are unlucky and get a pedant looking at your shipping docks. When we shipped our stuff, including bycles and large garden pots but not rusty/dirty old tools we were just told the mention Jeyes fluid on the form by our packers. We dis jet wash everything though.

All seems a little pointless when as far as I can see there is nothing to stop you landing in a pair of muddy wellies :)

justie Jul 22nd 2010 5:51 pm

I can envisage a series of posed photographs with jeyes fluid in one hand and hose in the other. Do you reckon that would be a first.....