Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Well why can't rules be changed thats what they are there for are the not.

Can anyone then shed any light on WHY it is these commonwealth contries that suffer and places like the USA and Bosnia etc don't.

What's the difference then please.

I also will not be relying on my state pension it would be foolish to rely on that....However I think if you have paid into something for X amount of years you should get the benefits...you can keep tax free ISA's going when you leave and other savings plans prob coz the country still has your money invested in it therefore it just seems to be a money saving exercise by the Gov.

BUT there are many implications and arguments I suppose for and against.....it's my money so I guess I'm for...and why would you not be afterall
It's not "your" money. It's money that the UK taxpayer may, or may not, pay to pensioners in the future based on the whim of the government at that time. The idea that you have a right to money from the government is part of an unfortunate culture of entitlement in the UK that doesn't transfer well to other countries. You've decided to emigrate and, in considering your destination, the likelihood of receiving pension money is one factor, you can make an informed decision to go to Bosnia or you can choose to go to Canada. If you choose the latter knowing that it means you won't get the money you've no complaint when you don't get it.

Your position is not comporable to people of prior generations who were raised with the expectation that anywhere in the Empire would be equal so far as pensions are concerned. I've some sympathy for people who didn't know that choosing one country over another would matter in this regard though, realistically, the generation who are in their eighties now were just lucky in the pensions they receive; the level of pensions paid in the UK is not sustainable.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Mark

This is exactly how we think about it. By the time Phil and I are pensionable age there will be nothing left in the pot or if there is it wont make that much difference to our retirement income.

Gaynor
x

That's how I feel too, especially as I was advised to opt out of SERPS in my early 20's. My hubby and I have put in plans to make sure we are financially independent in our later years - the problems we are having are geting our remaining private pensions out of the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not "your" money. It's money that the UK taxpayer may, or may not, pay to pensioners in the future based on the whim of the government at that time. The idea that you have a right to money from the government is part of an unfortunate culture of entitlement in the UK that doesn't transfer well to other countries. You've decided to emigrate and, in considering your destination, the likelihood of receiving pension money is one factor, you can make an informed decision to go to Bosnia or you can choose to go to Canada. If you choose the latter knowing that it means you won't get the money you've no complaint when you don't get it.

Your position is not comporable to people of prior generations who were raised with the expectation that anywhere in the Empire would be equal so far as pensions are concerned. I've some sympathy for people who didn't know that choosing one country over another would matter in this regard though, realistically, the generation who are in their eighties now were just lucky in the pensions they receive; the level of pensions paid in the UK is not sustainable.
Thanks for the info.

However If I decide to leave my Military pension in the UK then I will still be a UK tax payer!!! So it will still be my money…will it not??

And I have served in Bosnia back in the 90’s already and seen many atrocities so I think I’ll still come to Canada......

Cheers
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That's how I feel too, especially as I was advised to opt out of SERPS in my early 20's. My hubby and I have put in plans to make sure we are financially independent in our later years - the problems we are having are geting our remaining private pensions out of the UK.
I'm in a similar position: I opted out once I decided I was probably going to emigrate, plus I've saved the maximum amount that the company would match on pension contributions, so I have a fair chunk of cash sitting in a private pension fund that I really want to transfer to Canada with me. At least that part might be worth something one day...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replys so far. Very much appreciated.

As I said at the start it is really to open peoples eyes to this matter some might know the full story some might have no idea....and as various posters have mentioned if you know about it and emmigrate with your eyes open then you have no complaints.

I really can't see this being a major factor in remaining in the UK or moving abroad...not even to Bosnia to keep it...and certainly not the US 0f A.

Cheers Dave
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:45 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

USA, Canada, same thing really in many ways. Just easier to get into one than the other.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
USA, Canada, same thing really in many ways. Just easier to get into one than the other.
By walking across the border from Mexico, you mean ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:53 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkG
By walking across the border from Mexico, you mean ?
Probably fewer patrols along the northern border... if you want to be an illegal.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

But then again at the end of the day it is what the government decides if they wanna pay it they will if it saves them money - which it obviously does - they won't. I just don't believe we should just sit back and take it just because they say so....but that also is very British & they did tell us Iraq had WMD !! I don't just have a attitude of expectation. I have served my country for 22 years all over the world and will recieve a military pension and rightly so I do expect that I am afraid.

Why then is it only certain countries then.....can you answer that as nobody has so far.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Jun 13th 2007 at 3:01 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Probably fewer patrols along the northern border... if you want to be an illegal.
I take it this means trying to escape the US and not the other way round.

Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

And your post exactly proves the lack of equality- thank you.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I take it this means trying to escape the US and not the other way round.

No one "escapes" the US into Canada, good grief!

Well, ok, Bruce Springsteen, in some song on Nebraska, but he didn't intend to stay.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:33 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

so glad you have posted this, as we are n the process of moving to ontario
i honestly thought that our uk pension would freeze and would be-able to claim once we get to that age, well if there was any in the pot!!!!!

its just the standard thing with the uk, come to the uk, we will give you everyting, even if you havent paid into the pot :curse: feel free to take what you want
But if you are hard working etc etc you get nothing when times are bad, one very good reason for leaving i would say
We will leave knowing that we wont get a pension when we retire and if they change the rule at any point then its a bonus, but i will be applying for my tax back etc when we leave, why should i pay someones wages opps sorry social security.

Maybe its about time the uk advised that if you dont put in then you dont get owt out.....................maybe theyd get people to stay
or then again maybe not!!!!!!!!!!!

just my views
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
It has gone to the ECHR now and hopefully they will come up with a decent response. There are many older Brits here and in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand who do not get the pension increase from the date of leaving the UK. And yet those who go to the Caribbean, US and Europe do get the increases. Has never seemed fair and though it might be correct legally, according to legislation, it is not equal human rights. ECHR stopped making it compulsory for women to retire at 60 in the UK so they do come up with some sensible solutions.
I don't normally have much time for the European Court of Human Rights but in this case it seems very much that the human rights of pensioners in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are being completely disregarded!

I know a lot of things in life are unfair but to penalise the recipients of a mandatory pension schem just because they chose to live in a certain place seems inexplicable! The fact that the countries involved are all members of the British Commonwealth seems to make it even worse!

It is just a money saving exercise on the part of the British Government!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:55 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Well why can't rules be changed thats what they are there for are the not.

Can anyone then shed any light on WHY it is these commonwealth contries that suffer and places like the USA and Bosnia etc don't.

What's the difference then please.

I also will not be relying on my state pension it would be foolish to rely on that....However I think if you have paid into something for X amount of years you should get the benefits...you can keep tax free ISA's going when you leave and other savings plans prob coz the country still has your money invested in it therefore it just seems to be a money saving exercise by the Gov.

BUT there are many implications and arguments I suppose for and against.....it's my money so I guess I'm for...and why would you not be afterall
I entirely agree with you. It seems to me it is a form of discrimination. Saying go live in the US (or Bosnia, or wherever) instead of Canada is stupid. It shouldn't matter a jot where you live now, what matters is your contributions and everyone being treated fairly and equally. And having backpaid my contributions, I'd like to know more about cousin joe in St. Thomas who only paid 1 pound - another inequity.

As for how long it took for someone to come up with a sarcastic answer, there are people who spend inordinate amounts of time on here every day just waiting to shoot down postings. Evidently they don't have work to do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.