Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Originally Posted by morge
If you had read all of the previous messages you would know the answer to your question. As for the Indian and Somalia bit, I fail to see the logic of your statement. We are not talking about any other country but the UK.
You are not dbd 's brother are you or dbd under a different name ?
I have never used another name on this or the Guardian board. I do so on Chronicle of the (living) Horse only because dbd got banned.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 25th 2007 at 12:25 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Well what I must say is a big thanks to “Everyone” who has contributed to this thread and for keeping the discussion going and visible on the front page.

Whether you have any interest or not in the subject of the thread I believe it was something worth bringing up as I did so to highlight the matter to those Brits intending to make the move overseas who were not aware of it after all the idea of the forums are for people to seek bits of advice and research them more in-depth once they have been made aware of things. I know most people are aware and a lot have said so but there are a few who aren’t and I was one of them until a few months ago.

Things I mentioned at the beginning are still relevant which have been totally missed for the last God knows how many pages which are decisions I will have to take after seeking advice……one of the main ones being is it really worth me paying the extra 5yr voluntary payments up to the 30 yrs to enable me to have a full pension…..16 pages later no idea….but in years to come it could pay for a holiday each year…..even if it is in Bosnia.

Cheers to you all see ya.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

....And I am not complaining about the Canadian government who as I said before treat their pensioners right...
Absolutely. Canadian government treats its pensioners exactly the opposite of the UK government. Canadian citizens who have worked the required time for both pensions in Canada and the UK and retire to the UK will get the Canadian pensions they are entitled to without being penalised and they of course are not a burden to the health system here.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
they of course are not a burden to the health system here.
I think they usually are. The Canadian model of retirement has old people living in Texas, Florida or Arizona for much of the year returning for as many days as are needed to keep their OHIP (or equivalent) alive.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think they usually are. The Canadian model of retirement has old people living in Texas, Florida or Arizona for much of the year returning for as many days as are needed to keep their OHIP (or equivalent) alive.
Not talking about Canadian residents- talking about UK permanent residents if you read the post.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Here is your answer as to why dbd33 has no interest in the pension issue and has nothing else to do but piss about on BE all day talking crap.

This extract was copied from the thread regarding contractors and re enforces the argument that the reason he has no interest is because he has paid no contributions and has no need at all for the state pension money so his argument is just that.....to cause an argument without interest in the thread subject:

His Words:

I think that it's worked out for me. Over twenty odd years of earning not less than $100,000/yr and sometimes much better.

So therefore if he has been payed in Canada for 20 ODD! years he could get very little in a UK pension and as from his previous comments regarding where he came from I'd be surprised if he actualy contributed anything at all....to the UK that is as well as his pension.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Scott66
Here is your answer as to why dbd33 has no interest in the pension issue and has nothing else to do but piss about on BE all day talking crap.

This extract was copied from the thread regarding contractors and re enforces the argument that the reason he has no interest is because he has paid no contributions and has no need at all for the state pension money so his argument is just that.....to cause an argument without interest in the thread subject:

His Words:

I think that it's worked out for me. Over twenty odd years of earning not less than $100,000/yr and sometimes much better.

So therefore if he has been payed in Canada for 20 ODD! years he could get very little in a UK pension and as from his previous comments regarding where he came from I'd be surprised if he actualy contributed anything at all....to the UK that is as well as his pension.
One doesn't need self-interest to see the merits of an issue. Indeed, one might say that those who do have a financial interest are unable to see the merits as they're blinded by their greed.

Do you have an argument for the indexing of pensions paid to people who have abandoned their country, beyond those advanced above?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

morge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nice

I would just like to respond and say that , on a personal note, if you think that I have abandoned the UK then interpret it that way if you wish. Why am I still allowed to vote in the UK elections then? What about the UK government abandoning me after having spent my whole working life with 26 years in the military and many times parted from my family and placed in dangerous situations ? A corporal in my section had his 6 week old baby killed by shrapnel from a grenade and another corporal was shot dead outside his quarters. It is a pity that you have never served your country or you may have a different view.
Do you have an argument about governments abandoning their citizens because I am still a UK citizen ?
You throw a red herring in at every opportunity - like mentioning greed.
You don't mention fairness, equality of rights for all citizens but everything negative without looking at the whole picture.
Talking to you is as productive as talking to yourself which is probably what you do all day.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I would just like to respond and say that , on a personal note, if you think that I have abandoned the UK then interpret it that way if you wish. Why am I still allowed to vote in the UK elections then?
After some period away you can no longer vote. At that point would you give up the pension? Probably not, voting and pensions aren't connected except inasmuch as the people who can vote are not likely to vote to give their tax monies to emigres.

What about the UK government abandoning me after having spent my whole working life with 26 years in the military and many times parted from my family and placed in dangerous situations ?
It hasn't. It is still prepared to pay you a pension and, if you go home, it will index that pension.

Do you have an argument about governments abandoning their citizens because I am still a UK citizen ?
The government has not abandoned you. It is prepared to pay you a pension even though you have moved on the pastures new.

I doubt one can have a redder herring than shrapnelled babies.

You don't mention fairness, equality of rights for all citizens but everything negative without looking at the whole picture.
I don't think you want fairness and equality for all citizens; that would entail paying the same pension to me as to you.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:54 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to respond and say that , on a personal note, if you think that I have abandoned the UK then interpret it that way if you wish. Why am I still allowed to vote in the UK elections then? What about the UK government abandoning me after having spent my whole working life with 26 years in the military and many times parted from my family and placed in dangerous situations ? A corporal in my section had his 6 week old baby killed by shrapnel from a grenade and another corporal was shot dead outside his quarters. It is a pity that you have never served your country or you may have a different view.
Talking to you is as productive as talking to yourself which is probably what you do all day.

Don't rise to the bait, it's not worth the effort, he just loves to get a reaction. Shame really, innit? Most of us have a life away from this board.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by startwin
Don't rise to the bait, it's not worth the effort, he just loves to get a reaction. Shame really, innit? Most of us have a life away from this board.
I have none so I'll sit here and wait for a cogent argument as to why the current British taxpayers should give you this money rather than spending it on something of value to the UK, such as a program to settle asylum seekers.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:01 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

And you have to assume, of course, that when he invests money into a pension plan here, he won't expect the financial institution to pay him anything when he retires, because that would be free-loading. How dare we expect a return on our investment, eh?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by startwin
And you have to assume, of course, that when he invests money into a pension plan here, he won't expect the financial institution to pay him anything when he retires, because that would be free-loading. How dare we expect a return on our investment, eh?
An indexed pension paid to you now by the British government would not be a return on any investment on your part; you've only to sum your contributions to see that such a pension would be disproportionately high compared to the contributions made. It would a generous contribution to your wellbeing on the part of the British taxpayers; taxpayers who are not likely to be sympathetic to lotus eaters abroad, especially not when it's raining at home.

Go on, admit that those who chose their countries of exile well got a lucky break and give it up; you haven't a leg to stand on.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

morge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nice

You said: I doubt one can have a redder herring than shrapnelled babies.

Totally missing the point.
The point that I was trying to make that went right over your pinhead was that I could have been injured or killed. What have you ever done for your country ? Nothing it would appear as you did not respond to that question.

You also said previously :
I have never used another name on this or the Guardian board. I do so on Chronicle of the (living) Horse only because dbd got banned.

I guess that you were banned for talking crap. That figures.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What have you ever done for your country ? Nothing it would appear as you did not respond to that question.
I didn't respond because it's a personal attack and not a statement related to the issue of pensions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.