Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front Page Story by "Angie"

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Sorry P, I really didn't mean to sound like a pompous arse. I was just pointing out that keeping relatively silent and having strong opinions on something are not mutually exclusive.
No problem. Pompous arse was not a phrase that crossed my mind.

It was just interesting to see such a rant from someone who has clearly been a long time member but had very little to say on anything since joining, in fact his first 4 posts were questions about PR status when he joined so apart from todays post that only leaves 3 others in two and a half years.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Er... non-sequitur? what's his relative silence so far got to do with his opinion on the matter?
You'll find sometimes on this forum folk are very like Canadian employers, your opinion is invalid and your chance for being heard is nothing unless you are a seasoned veteran.

It seems that unless you give at least 4/5 hours service a day trawling through smut & innuendo, then you can look but dare not provide an opinion, people feel threatened by newbies, even on forums!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joe.bloggs
Angie story .. made my face light up & grin .. what can I say , I have experienced exactly the same line by line ..
realtor : take 6% , when buying & selling your house EACH TIME !, they promise you the earth & then just sit back doing squat nothing

So get off your arse and sell your house yourself then!

very difficult to survive on a single wage , unless you are a Doctor & Lawyer .. other professions including IT are a LOT less paid !! we have manged to go thru £100K plus in saving alone in the past 4 years , never mind the 2 monthly wages .. Tax & property tax's & heating in the winter & AirCon in the summer are a huge burden in qubec ..

I'm not a doctor or lawyer and I survive very well on one wage, I own my own home (with a mortgage), own my own car outright and eat very well. I don't spend my money on frivolous stuff - maybe you need to look at your spending habits. If the property taxes and heating bills are too high, then move to a smaller house! Try turning the aircon off - you don't actually need it on that much during the year!

very expensive in Canada .. absolutly true ! , once you start earning local slave wages .. all the basic foods stuffs are MUCH more expensive than the UK , ie bread ..milk etc..

Shop around - here in the rural north where food stuffs are much more expensive then down south I manage to shop around and get very good bargains.

Job hunting : is very dificult , they may want highly skilled IT people , BUT there simply aren't enough jobs in this particuler field especially for new emigrants ..

Well do what others have done and retrian - did you not thoroughly research your job market before you moved to Canada?

Medical bills : you wait until you fall ill & you get a bill of $200 for the ambulance & the cost of medicine .. will bring tears to your eyes

Try a different province! And get a job with benefits!

" too expensive for us to get back on the property ladder in England:" we are in exactly the same boat ..

Start saving - that's what other people do.

"but I would call it a third world country." LOL ! I worked this out in our first year !

Not according to the UN its not!
Maybe you need to adjust your thinking about what you hoped to get out of moving to Canada - did you come here just for the big house, etc or for a different way of life?
The mistake many Brits make coming here is thinking that everything is soooo cheap in Canada cos they're spending sterling they've brought with them. It all evens out once you're living here and earning $ - Canada isn't a cheap Mecca, but neither is it outrageously expensive either.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If the property taxes and heating bills are too high, then move to a smaller house!
True. We've deliberately been looking for the smallest house we could comfortably live in, even though we could afford something substantially bigger... no point paying to heat 1000 square feet of rooms that we don't really need.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:34 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The TWs
Is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the front page story by "Angie"?
The article doesn't bother me at all. To me, and I might be wrong, it reads as typical flamebait.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 250000 immigrants a year, and some of them aren't happy! Its an outrage. Cancel all plans to come to Canada immediately!

Id pick the negative remarks apart, but life is too short, and unless you experience it yourself anything else is hearsay anyway. I will say that we get by with two kids on just my inextravagant salary though, but that Canada is more expensive to live in that visiting on holiday would lead you to believe.

But do your homework right, and most of the "shocks" in the article can be avoided. Some people hate it here, some love it, some tolerate it. That's life. Unfortunately you wont know which group you are in until you try it. My experience is most people like it enough here to not want to go elsewhere, and there is a tendency for those who dont like it to come to sites like this to "warn" others.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 27th 2007 at 4:53 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
You'll find sometimes on this forum folk are very like Canadian employers, your opinion is invalid and your chance for being heard is nothing unless you are a seasoned veteran.

It seems that unless you give at least 4/5 hours service a day trawling through smut & innuendo, then you can look but dare not provide an opinion, people feel threatened by newbies, even on forums!
That's a typical response from a mere 68 posts to their name person. Your opinions are worthless. Please kindly keep them to yourself.

Now where's that irony emoticon.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's a typical response from a mere 68 posts to their name person. Your opinions are worthless. Please kindly keep them to yourself.

Now where's that irony emoticon.
1320, call that a post count. Your opinion is equally worthless.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:52 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's only one person's opinion and outlook. Subjective and limited in experience blah, blah, blah.

I wrote one too a while back and it's just your thoughts and feelings at that time (though my sentence structure was better ).
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:57 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Maybe you need to adjust your thinking about what you hoped to get out of moving to Canada - did you come here just for the big house, etc or for a different way of life?
The mistake many Brits make coming here is thinking that everything is soooo cheap in Canada cos they're spending sterling they've brought with them. It all evens out once you're living here and earning $ - Canada isn't a cheap Mecca, but neither is it outrageously expensive either.
You're spot on Trish - theres always posts on here about moving to Canada for a bigger house, and more space. In parts of the country real estate may be cheaper, but living expenses aren't as disproportionate. If you buy the big home & SUV - expect your living costs to go up.

IMO costs here are no more expensive than the UK, and if anything it's a little cheaper, but really it all depends on your lifestyle and where you live. It's a big country!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Each one of us will experience Life in Canada in a different way - that's what makes us unique. Some of Angie's experiences are similar to my own, and I don't see the point in belabouring it, as I've mentioned them in other posts. Neither do I think it fair to dismiss her opinions as "mad" or to say that her post is devoid of facts. Maybe you haven't shared her experiences - that doesn't mean it isn't so.

Only so much research and homework can be done before the Big Move is made - nothing can make up for actually living in a place.....and one person may like what I loathe and vice versa. People are different from one city to another, even from one small town to another. This is my second time in small town Canada - the first time was wonderful with friendly, helpful people and great neighbours. This time around is totally different - cold, unfriendly people who look away when I go into town......sometimes they can be deliberatley obstructive e.g the staff in the post office witholding information......yet when I travel a few miles up Highway 8 it's totally different! Go figure!

I feel sad that Angie has had such an unhappy time - but I understand exactly how she feels.

Why is it that negative comments are so detested and derided on this forum?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jood

Why is it that negative comments are so detested and derided on this forum?
Crushing peoples dreams innit. The unwanted intrusion of the reality that emmigrating does not (contrary to rumour) make your shit smell sweeter.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:18 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
1320, call that a post count. Your opinion is equally worthless.
we're not worthy, we're not worthy.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Well, it's only one person's opinion and outlook. Subjective and limited in experience blah, blah, blah.

I wrote one too a while back and it's just your thoughts and feelings at that time (though my sentence structure was better ).
Ahhhh - but how wuz yer speliin'?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
Crushing peoples dreams innit. The unwanted intrusion of the reality that emmigrating does not (contrary to rumour) make your shit smell sweeter.
How eloquent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.