Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of
Default Re: Front Page Story by "Angie"

Originally Posted by purple80
Thanks for that great idea, have to collect the sproglets from school soon, but will implement it later
Sending Karma

Yes this has brightened my afternoon up. In fact I'd go and lie down with a glass of wine too if I didn't have to collect my sproglets too!!
Just Joined

joe.bloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The TWs
Is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the front page story by "Angie"?

I don't know anyone who works 2-3 jobs and as far as I'm concerned if you move to a different country has to accept the way that country works, if you don't like it leave. The article (if such an opinion piece can even be called that) doesn't even state where in Ontario "Angie" is!)

Canada is no more a third world country than the UK - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I know people are entitled to their opinions but that is so empty of fact its really p!ssed me off! :curse:
Angie story .. made my face light up & grin .. what can I say , I have experienced exactly the same line by line ..
realtor : take 6% , when buying & selling your house EACH TIME !, they promise you the earth & then just sit back doing squat nothing
very difficult to survive on a single wage , unless you are a Doctor & Lawyer .. other professions including IT are a LOT less paid !! we have manged to go thru £100K plus in saving alone in the past 4 years , never mind the 2 monthly wages .. Tax & property tax's & heating in the winter & AirCon in the summer are a huge burden in qubec ..
very expensive in Canada .. absolutly true ! , once you start earning local slave wages .. all the basic foods stuffs are MUCH more expensive than the UK , ie bread ..milk etc..
Job hunting : is very dificult , they may want highly skilled IT people , BUT there simply aren't enough jobs in this particuler field especially for new emigrants ..
Medical bills : you wait until you fall ill & you get a bill of $200 for the ambulance & the cost of medicine .. will bring tears to your eyes
" too expensive for us to get back on the property ladder in England:" we are in exactly the same boat ..

"but I would call it a third world country." LOL ! I worked this out in our first year !

I could go ON & ON .. you probarly woun't belive a bit, until it happens to YOU !!

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Err, no, definately an adult last time i checked, have been accused of having mental age slightly lower
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the avatar.

On the original thread subject, is this written by a Canadian not wanting Brits to immigrate or what?!
Sure - it's not easy, but some of the stuff in the article seems to be a bit hard to believe.

Even the bits like there being "no frills" stuff in supermarkets.
Errr...does she not have a Zehr's ("No Name") or Sobey's/IGA ("Compliments") in her neighbourhood?

And 3 houses in 5 years?!? Well - you're going to pay a lot of fees in the long run aren't you. As for realtors - our estate agents in England were dreadful; uncommunicative, forgetful, just plain useless - a complete contrast to here where the guy who found us our house is even offering to help us move!

Horses for courses I guess. Sure it's no bed of roses, but like most point out: is anywhere?

Does this Angie come on these boards? I'm guessing that if she posted that article on expats, she must, so maybe she can elaborate on her experiences further...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

So we started off being annoyed at Angies piece on the front page and now we are even more annoyed because we cannot see purple 80's avatar.

SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:51 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by printer
So we started off being annoyed at Angies piece on the front page and now we are even more annoyed because we cannot see purple 80's avatar.

SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!
IF I COULD I WOULD
GIVEN UP NOW:curse:
WILL TRY AGAIN LATER WHEN MY BRAIN HAS COOLED DOWN
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

very expensive in Canada .. absolutly true ! , once you start earning local slave wages .. all the basic foods stuffs are MUCH more expensive than the UK , ie bread ..milk etc..
Which is odd, because my girlfriend lives pretty well on half my salary in Canada... even if I end up taking a 50% pay cut (and 30-50% seems likely at this point) I'm not sure what we'd spend all the money on.

Of course neither of us are into buying expensive stuff for the sake of it... she was talking about people spending $10,000 on a set of kitchen cupboards, whereas I'd rather settle for some cardboard boxes for free .

other professions including IT are a LOT less paid !!
Yeah, I'm not surprised that they say most of the IT graduates move to America, when they can earn twice as much there.

As for realtors - our estate agents in England were dreadful; uncommunicative, forgetful, just plain useless - a complete contrast to here where the guy who found us our house is even offering to help us move!
Agreed. The guy who's helping my girlfriend look for a house at the moment seems miles away from any estate agent I've had to deal with in England.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joe.bloggs
Angie story .. made my face light up & grin .. what can I say , I have experienced exactly the same line by line ..
realtor : take 6% , when buying & selling your house EACH TIME !, they promise you the earth & then just sit back doing squat nothing
very difficult to survive on a single wage , unless you are a Doctor & Lawyer .. other professions including IT are a LOT less paid !! we have manged to go thru £100K plus in saving alone in the past 4 years , never mind the 2 monthly wages .. Tax & property tax's & heating in the winter & AirCon in the summer are a huge burden in qubec ..
Job hunting : is very dificult , they may want highly skilled IT people , BUT there simply aren't enough jobs in this particuler field especially for new emigrants ..
Medical bills : you wait until you fall ill & you get a bill of $200 for the ambulance & the cost of medicine .. will bring tears to your eyes
" too expensive for us to get back on the property ladder in England:" we are in exactly the same boat ..

"but I would call it a third world country." LOL ! I worked this out in our first year !

I could go ON & ON .. you probarly woun't belive a bit, until it happens to YOU !!
Interesting viewpoint from someone who clearly hasn't had much to say since joining in 2004
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

ImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to behold

Interesting viewpoint from someone who clearly hasn't had much to say since joining in 2004
That's because he can't afford to run his computer. Computers are most more expensive in Canada blah blah
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Er... non-sequitur? what's his relative silence so far got to do with his opinion on the matter?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

MesserMoony is on a distinguished road

hmm as for IT I have a BSc in Multimedia and my husband is a Data analyst and obviously doing inland application I am not working and we are living quite comfortably on his wages. He does some overtime to earn a bit more but not all that much, certainly nothing like what Angie experienced.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Er... non-sequitur? what's his relative silence so far got to do with his opinion on the matter?
Ye printer, answer that and stay fashionable!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:24 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised they don't edit the articles they put on their front page so they don't sound like they've been written by a seven year-old. God knows how she managed to hold down a "well paid professional job" in the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve666
Ye printer, answer that and stay fashionable!
Er later when i've had a chance to look up the meaning of that word.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Er later when i've had a chance to look up the meaning of that word.
Sorry P, I really didn't mean to sound like a pompous arse. I was just pointing out that keeping relatively silent and having strong opinions on something are not mutually exclusive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.