Wikiposts

Friends

Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Friends

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps
As to why not try elsewhere.......

We actually had been looking into moving to Ontario, mainly because both my husband and I wish to work in the horse industry and the industry it is much more developed over there than here in Nova Scotia. However in the areas of interest to us compared to Nova Scotia - there is a high population, land values are high, roads are more congested, there is more pollution and crime. hmmm this then of course begs the question all of those things apply to the UK too (maybe to a higher extent) - better the devil you know me thinks!!!

My husband and I are country folk with agricultural/equestrian backgrounds and I dont think anyone can argue being from the country in England is worlds apart from being from the country in Nova Scotia-maybe all of Canada. And yes maybe we should have worked that out before we came here - but we know now!

Also when you have invested years of your life into 'living the dream' and setting up a new life, when it doesnt work out - the idea of doing it all again (as it is not easy for anyone to begin with), investing more years of your life (because you do have to give it time), is a very scary thought!! You could be 5 years older and have waisted that time searching from something that may not be there? The question is: how many years is anyone willing to spend searching? For me three years is enough, my husband and I are young enough to start again in the UK with the support of friends and family, just not prepared to use up more of our healthy young years searching, searching, searching....... meanwhile spending copious amounts of money, getting older and loosing in touch even more with those in England.

I know this is only based on my experience but, from reading posts on the 'returning to the uk' thread I am certainly not alone in this way of thinking
Thanks Sammy, if you guys are into horses and are more country folk, maybe Alberta would have been better for you guys, just a thought
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:31 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Surely there is no point searching for it in the UK though... you left the UK cos you didnt find in in the first twenty something years.

FWIW there are dozens of horse business in my area, fairly low land costs, no traffic really, relatively low population density and at least one expat couple in the area making a living from an equestrian center, and another that came to do that and ended up switching to hay farming as more profitable.
Maybe R I C H would be the best one to advise on this?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Maybe R I C H would be the best one to advise on this?
You need serious money to buy into his area I think. Tiaribbon was looking at BC, and ended up in Campbellford as they got way more bang for their buck...

I think we both agree though that if they didnt find "it" first time in the UK, what's the point in looking there again second time around rather than pursuing other canadian options first.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Your comment is fair. arnt we all trying to 'live the dream' in what ever capacity that may be and however that relates to each of us? By emmigrating we are all searching for something better arnt we? I guess my dream was:

So in a way I suppose I have and am living my dream???? I sacrificed my family and friends and my career for the above. That was my mistake and I am about to correct it!! I couldnt care less if I have to rent a house for the rest of my life and I have discovered (unbeknown to me) that I need stress and busyness in my life, I long for a faster pace of life! My new dream (haha) is to work with horses and to have a social life, somewhere in the British countryside!! Life is full of surprises!
            Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:44 am
            Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
            You need serious money to buy into his area I think. Tiaribbon was looking at BC, and ended up in Campbellford as they got way more bang for their buck...

I think we both agree though that if they didnt find "it" first time in the UK, what's the point in looking there again second time around rather than pursuing other canadian options first.
            Maybe "it" needs to be pinpointed a little more????

My friend owns http://www.extremestables.ca/AboutUs.aspx this place, and it has taken her years to build it up, from having a dream as a girl of having her own place - and she's Canadian with friends and family around to help her.

If you want something enough you'll do it - but you know its hard work and requires perseverance.
            Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:47 am
            Sawdust making harpy

Your comment is fair. arnt we all trying to 'live the dream' in what ever capacity that may be and however that relates to each of us? By emmigrating we are all searching for something better arnt we? I guess my dream was:

So in a way I suppose I have and am living my dream???? I sacrificed my family and friends and my career for the above. That was my mistake and I am about to correct it!! I couldnt care less if I have to rent a house for the rest of my life and I have discovered (unbeknown to me) that I need stress and busyness in my life, I long for a faster pace of life! My new dream (haha) is to work with horses and to have a social life, somewhere in the British countryside!! Life is full of surprises!
                      I know you want your own business but would finding somewhere with a more active horse population and then volunteering at some stables kill two birds with one stone?

ie - get you in the equine thing, find people / friends with common interests?
                      Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:09 am
                      BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

I know you don't want to mix with only expats. However there are several couples on the ns expat group on facebook that have stables and horses. If you contacted them they might be able to offer advice on the state of the horse industry in ns. At the very least you would have something in common with them they may be able to suggest employment or turn into friends. I know nothing about horses OTher than they lose when I back them,but that is where I would start. You have until August to kill time so what have you got to lose. Birds of a feather stick together. Also I drive passed to very large stud farms most weekends outside Chester. Why not take a trip there walk up the the door knock and introduce yourself. The worse that can happen is they politly say get off my land.
                      Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:35 am
                      Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds a fair comment to me, its your life and have no regrets whatever you decide!
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
                                Yup you've hit the nail on the head for the US too.
                                Its even worse down there. They're like Canadians but with bad attitudes.
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:44 am
                                Forum Regular

Location: From NS to ON to AB & back to ON. Currently in USA
                                Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Mandy you are absolutely right! Achieving anything in life requires hard work and perseverance and maybe if we had focused on achieving such things in England rather than focussing on the challenges we faced in gaining permanent residence in Canada we would be in a very different spot right now!!

As for working with horses in Canada. I should state first, I am quite surprised that this thread has survived and noone has tried to eat me alive as yet! you might now.............

The horse industry in the UK has been developed over the last 2000 years, since Ceaser rocked up on horse back to invade in 55BC. Anyhow that is a seriously long time to establish an industry right? Europeans didnt settle here until the 16th century and even then horses were predominantly used as working animals rather than pleasure? Yes all industries are effectively in the same boat here in Canada, however industries that relate to 'leisure' are less likely to evolve at the same pace as others.

Anyhow, there are so many different streams within the equestrian industry from therapy to competition to riding school to racing and hunting etc which goes hand in hand with an extensive, historic knowledge base. In England the industry is set up in a typicaly British regimented structure with regard to learning to ride, careing for horses and learning to teach and is supported by professionals such as vets, farriers, equine dentists, equine physiotherapists, coaches etc - all qualified professionals in their own right. I used to complain about the regulations - 'so much red tape', 'so many exams' little did I know. The idea of working in the industry in Canada originaly was exciting with less red tape, however I quickly came to realize why indeed the regulations are in place in England!!

The expected standard of a rider under instruction (and I am not talking about individuals that have had the money/opportunties to succeed at a National level) is so much lower than in England, as is the expected standard of horse care. Things are done how they have always been done with little progression. And it may sound it, but I am not slateing the industy - it is just so very different that I cant see myself having a 'career' here. My qualifications are not recognized, in fact because there is no requirement in Canada to 'be' qualified there are few people that have any 'educated knowledge' (certainly in Nova Scotia), by that I mean knowledge they havnt aquired through what their father or friend told them.

Thank you for your positive input Winston - I know of whom you speak (well certainly one of them) and they are fully aware of my plight!!! Unfortunately I know there are no positions in Nova Scotia or the Maritimes for that matter that are going to fulfil my career aspirations. I have looked extensively throughout the Province (being in Windsor I am in the hub of horse country here anyhow) I became involved with the Pony Club and other Riding Associations, offered my services as a volunteer, drove across the Province to teach clients for $30/hr only to discover that even tho I am a qualified coach, accomplished rider and experienced facility manager, my knowledge is not required and my methods 'are not the way they do it here'!! I was very much aware that things might be different, and was careful not to shove my ideas or what I had been taught down peoples throats, but to be honest, nothing I had to say was of any importance - who am I after all, just another Brit thinking I am better than them? And no doubt that is the attitude.

I am sure there are many people from England who have been successful in entering into the Equestrian Industry in a professional capacity here, but I am not prepared to sacrifice my integrity in order to get started, not when I know I can go back to the UK - with a renewed appreciation for the industry and the related associations.

ok I am ready for the onslaught .......................
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:52 am
                                Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyhow, there are so many different streams within the equestrian industry from therapy to competition to riding school to racing and hunting etc which goes hand in hand with an extensive, historic knowledge base.
                                Which of these does not flourish within fifty miles of here?
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:52 am
                                Forum Regular

Mandy Moo - checked out your friends website. Looks awesome and obviously a well educated horsewoman to whom my above post does not apply - however I should imagine she would have similar gripes to mine related to the industry overall?? Canadian or not!

Thank you all for your comments and responses - I appreciate I have totally hijacked this thread and will now bugger off!!

Last edited by Sammypeeps; Feb 16th 2011 at 7:03 am.
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:02 am
                                Sawdust making harpy

lol she certainly is good at what she does and is very well respected in these parts - to the point where most of the ranchers will give her their green horses to break even though they will only be used as working horses on a farm.

Seeing as shes a born and bred Canadian I think she accepts the way other people want to do their thing and just concentrates on how she wants to do hers - there's a market for both.

I know she has all the therapists and all that fancy dancy stuff up at the barn, holds shows and clinics and just does it the way she wants to.

She's hit a good balance - people know she is there and they come to her for what they want - but even she has said - she makes no money at all from the boarding side of things - it's the lessons and the schooling that pay her wages.

She spends lots of time taking clients horses to dressage shows everywhere - down in the states a lot - just to get herself more known as a trainer and to earn the owners more money when they come to sell their horse (apparently - I know nothing about this subject!)

Maybe you should look at AB - after all Spruce Meadows is no two bit horse show either
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:59 am
                                Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... I am not prepared to sacrifice my integrity in order to get started ...

ok I am ready for the onslaught .......................
                                I thought quite a bit before starting the "onslaught" because:

a) your previous posts seem to show you as a reasonable person, and
                                b) I don't think I have the writing skills to say this in a way that will not cause offense, and this is certainly not my intention.

But ...

Employment and business are not that different. You give people something they want in exchange for money. Unless you are being asked to do a naked pole dance in the middle of the barn, or steal the kid's pocket money, how on earth does this involve sacrificing your integrity?
                                Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:16 am
                                Forum Regular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Reason is Because I would have to lower my standards and keep my mouth shut when things are not done how I believe they should be (there are personal safety issues and horse health issues to consider) in order to earn a living! I enjoy teaching and educating plus I love horses, so to reduce myself to a point where I stand in an arena saying 'well done' 'very good' all the time to my clients inorder to keep them happy has a bearing on my integrity as a coach and also as an animal lover if I allow things to be done in a manner that I do not believe is in the horses best interest! Does that make sense?

Naked pole dancing in the barn actually sounds fun tho! Can't imagine I would make much money!

Last edited by Sammypeeps; Feb 16th 2011 at 9:20 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.