Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A friday afternoon experience

A friday afternoon experience

Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:23 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A friday afternoon experience

Just thought I would share this experience with you as in my last post I was passing on just gloomy news and it reflects to me one of the things that is so nice about working here and something I can’t imagine happening in the UK – well in London where I worked anyway.

At 3.30 yesterday afternoon one of the guys in the office said that he needed some leaflets from the NEB (National Energy Board) and that he needed them to take on a flight to BC early next morning. So we are talking Friday afternoon/Saturday morning.

These are free public service type leaflets so no monetary gain to be made.

The NEB is based downtown not far from my office but I had things to get done before I left plus it was chilly and I did not fancy a good five block walk.

So I found the number on the internet and called them. Much to my amazement someone in the library answered. I told her what I needed and I thought the response would be something like – well if its not on show we ain’t got it - but no she went away and checked and said we have them. I said that I wanted 20 of each – again she went away and said no problem. I said is there any chance that I could send over a courier to collect them and I need them today – again she said no problem she would box them for me and have them at the reception for collection. I then found out on the back of my sheet that another leaflet was needeed and again she went away and said no problem we have plenty.

I then rang our courier service and bearing in mind it was Friday afternoon they offered me the 19 minutes service and - sorry if you have nodded off by now – within half an hour I had the leaflets nicely boxed with my name and the name of the company. Well it made my day and I was able to leave work on time.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A friday afternoon experience

Originally Posted by jancal
Just thought I would share this experience with you as in my last post I was passing on just gloomy news and it reflects to me one of the things that is so nice about working here and something I can’t imagine happening in the UK – well in London where I worked anyway.

At 3.30 yesterday afternoon one of the guys in the office said that he needed some leaflets from the NEB (National Energy Board) and that he needed them to take on a flight to BC early next morning. So we are talking Friday afternoon/Saturday morning.

The NEB is based downtown not far from my office but I had things to get done before I left plus it was chilly and I did not fancy a good five block walk.

So I found the number on the internet and called them. Much to my amazement someone in the library answered. I told her what I needed and I thought the response would be something like – well if its not on show we ain’t got it - but no she went away and checked and said we have them. I said that I wanted 20 of each – again she went away and said no problem. I said is there any chance that I could send over a courier to collect them and I need them today – again she said no problem she would box them for me and have them at the reception for collection. I then found out on the back of my sheet that another leaflet was needeed and again she went away and said no problem we have plenty.

I then rang our courier service and bearing in mind it was Friday afternoon they offered me the 19 minutes service and - sorry if you have nodded off by now – within half an hour I had the leaflets nicely boxed with my name and the name of the company. Well it made my day and I was able to leave work on time.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:36 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

having been to canada lots, i can give you 'lots' of examples when the 'canadians' have just been sooooo amazingly helpfull; with no finacial gain, nothing it for them etc etc.....just so amazingly brilliantly 'put themselves out to help you kinda people'........can't wait to be living there......

the latest example is that our daughter is 18, done her gcse's, a's etc and is going to be in canada end of jan and kicking her heels until next fall before she starts uni.....our son is 15 and will be in school!!! this school has said that our daughter can sit in on lessons (can't do any exams though), make friends etc etc etc....so that she can settle into canadian life......+ she can go to the prom........can you imagine a school in the uk offering that!!!! NOT!!!!!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

mr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud of

that's such a nice story.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr.mac
that's such a nice story.
I heard a nice one yesterday too .... a colleague told us of one of her friends who managed to spill her full cup of Starbucks coffee all over herself as she tried to negotiate the doors when leaving a mall in Calgary.

A guy who was passing came over, very concerned, to ask if she was hurt. "Only my pride" she blushed, "I guess I'll pop back in for a new cup as it's nearly all spilled"
"You can't go back in looking like that!" said the guy. "I'll get it for you"
"OK" she thanked him, taking out her purse .....
"Oh put that away, I'll get it!" he smiled, and did so ..... It was Dion Phaneuf of the Calgary Flames ...

Addendum: One of my other colleagues expressed surprise when she heard who it was. "That's nice. I always thought he was an a**e-hole!" she exclaimed.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a great service to receive! I just hate that standard response of "if it's not there we ain't got it" that you get so much over here. I work in retail and try to go out of my way for customers so i am always astounded at the service i receive in other shops etc.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:34 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Was up in Newry N.Ireland yesterday and couldnt get over how helpful people were. Two women directing us to Tesco's in Banbridge, near Belfast, was very funny.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Was up in Newry N.Ireland yesterday and couldnt get over how helpful people were. Two women directing us to Tesco's in Banbridge, near Belfast, was very funny.
Yes Northern Irish people are lovely aren't they
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

My mother recently moved back to rural Ontario after 25 years in England, and keeps saying in somewhat awed tones, 'People are so nice. They actually want to help you.'

I was in a bar in the midwest US once, turned around a little too fast, bumped into some bloke and lost about a drop from my drinks. I muttered 'Sorry', but the guy was so repeatedly apologetic about having 'spilled' my drink that I almost felt bad for him. Compare this to a pub in Covent Garden this Friday night, where a guy fell up the stairs and spilled his two pints into my shoes, then shoved past me to get back to his mates.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

This freaks my in-laws out. When people are polite, or friendly to them, they actually look frightened! They are getting a little better about it when they visit, but it used to be if we were in a restaurant or a store and the server/salesperson asked how our day was going they would duck their heads and pretend they hadn't heard anything
Old Dec 7th 2008, 1:11 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Having been back and forth to the UK many times there's no doubt in my mind that customer service and courtesy here is much better. There are some posters here who would consider much of the courtesy disingenuous, and it's true a good deal of it rolls off the tongue with little thought as to what's being said, but it certainly beats rudeness and nothing.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:09 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

For what its worth, on our trips to Canada we have experienced nothing but kindness and helpfulness - Canadians, IMHO, really are a rare and refreshing people...

On our last visit, a couple who owned a very nice bar & restaurant took a shine to us and invited us to there home for dinner, then after much fab food and quality booze, insisted we stay the night as it was to late to go back to the B+B (it was now past 2AM) . This wouldn't happen in England.

Fingers crossed, one day we can proudly call ourselves Canadians

M.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:21 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Yes Northern Irish people are lovely aren't they
Newry must be making a fortune. They had blokes out directing traffic and getting parking spaces, very impressive. So glad we're able to stick it to the Republic's government at the moment. Bought 6 bottles of champers in Tescos and found out when i got back she'd only charged for 4! Same champers down here is 23 Euro - £11.98 up there. Loads of two for one deals as well. Might have to be a regular trip.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant future

what a nice thread, and what a great story, jancal!

I have to add my 'two thumbs up' to Librarians in general- especially in Vancouver.

They totally rock!!
AND they seem to know an inordinate amount about just about everything and anything! And what they don't know they can look up in about 24 seconds.
And nothing's ever a hassle.

I Vancouver Librarians!