Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fresh start in Prince edward island

Fresh start in Prince edward island

Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Darrenandbeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Fresh start in Prince edward island

Hi my name is Darren, I am currently a class 1 trucker operating out of the Gatwick area near London, my family and I are in the process of immigrating to Prince Edward Island Canada, so far its been a mind blowing few months organising things and getting stuff sorted to sell our flat, but touch wood so far so good. We were considering going in feb for a week to have a look around and hopefully meet the company I would be working for, but after recent talks and considering our funds we have decided to just go for it. We have spoken to a few people and done some research online, however some things that are still a concern to us is day to day living costs i,e utilities, fuel etc. Initially our plan is to rent a property, and all going well buy as soon as possible. Hopefully I will be working for seafood express in Charlottetown. Are there any drivers who are familiar with this firm? Any general info would be greatly received.

Many Thanks
Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:03 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresh start in Prince edward island

If you look in the trucking section of the Working Abroad forum you will be able to find several postings about Seafood Express and PEI.
Maybe it would be better if a mod moved the posting to that section of the forum.
Good luck.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
No personal experience but some friends of mine relocated from Alberta to PEI just this past fall, and I am sure would be happy to help with any info!
If you pm me your email address, or would like me to pass on theirs, I would be more than happy to do so!
Good luck with the move!
x
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

good luck with your move we live an hour away from prince edward and have camped there in the summer its a lovely busy place in the summer obviously quieter in the winter its a 15 minute drive across the bridge to the mainland and the bridge can get closed in bad weather i love it and there are some lovely beaches sorry i havnt commented on the work aspect but i just wanted you to know its a nice place and if you have kids you have some theme parks which are smallish but they will enjoy them
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:02 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darrenandbeck,

As Puggirl has said, PEI gets very quiet in the winter and you can be cut off from the rest of Canada for days at a time if the weather is really bad. Also alot of the facilities shut down over winter so you have to make sure you are stocked up and self sufficient.
The Islanders are quite clicky and I have heard that newcomers struggle to fit in. I have just heard this but I'm sure it doesn't apply to all newcomers.
Charlottetown is the main 'city' in PEI. It is smaller than Halifax, NS which is smaller than Reading in England.
The summer months are busy with tourists coming in off the cruise ships and Canadians like to holiday there as the beaches are lovely, although the ocean is f***ing freezing Also 'Anne of Green Gables' is a tourist trap in summer.
There are a couple of little (and I mean little) theme parks and a water park with 2 or 3 slides in it.

PEI is lovely in summer to visit but you have to be sure it's for you if you want to live there year round.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

rio2103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we also are looking to move from the UK to canada and have found PEI and the same company, please dostay in touch and let me know if things are as good as they seem,
Hopefully if wont be long before were following you.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to PEI back in 2007 - love it here. I'm not in the trucking world.

Feel free to ask any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.

I'm a bit busy this morning but I'll try and put some points down re cost of living etc.

B
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feralbob
I moved to PEI back in 2007 - love it here. I'm not in the trucking world.

Feel free to ask any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.

I'm a bit busy this morning but I'll try and put some points down re cost of living etc.

B
Ok sorry for delay... some rough numbers that apply to us. Adjust as necessary

Me 31, wife and 6 month old son. 2 bed house downtown Charlottetown - Not big a starter home, was done up when we bought it.

Mortage inc property taxes - $320 bi-weekly

Food - Avg $150 week. Sometimes more sometimes less. Higher now that we have the boy.

Eastlink (Internet and Phone only) - $90/month

Electricity - Low - $50/month - High - $75/month

Fuel - Probably average $125/month - but I'm a heat Nazi

Cellphone - $100/month (Expensive plan for work - but they cover it)

Booze - more than I care to admit

Any specific questions then fire away.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

glennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond repute

Moved here in July 2011

Just about everything is more expensive compared to the UK.(fuel and housing cheaper)

The cheapest rent is around $800 a month for something that is disgusting and dirty, pay more if you want something decent. I bought a house to save money!

Have plenty of spare cash for deposits for the electricity $150 /oil will prob have to be paid upfront and thats $450 for around half a tank.

Food for one costs around $70 a week, I cannot believe a loaf of bread averages $3.50.

Internet is $46 a month

Satellite is $56 a month with fairly basic package.

Sewerage for where I live is $59 that does not include water supply as i am on a well.

The island drivers are mad, make sure you take fully comp insurance.

To get off the Island you have to pay around $44 and return flights to get to a city hub to go anywhere other than canada are around $400 pp

Clothing stores of anything nice is near non existent and overly priced you need to go off island to moncton or halifax.

Seafood Express is questionable as an employer, I bet they are not paying for your flights and I have heard them getting rid of ppl within the first 2 weeks and there trucks not being reliable, but thats just rumour and not objective.

All said and done I came alone and have settled ok, but then again I can see me going home one day even if it is to only retire.

I do miss the countryside from England and the fact I am only a couple of hours flight from many different countries and it costs a lot less to travel abroad, the mediterranean I miss, the cool crisp winter coutryside walks with my dogs off lead without the fear of coyotes/foxes I miss.

But one thing said if you don't go you can't say you ever had the experience and the people here are some of the friendliest on earth and I have made many friends. Also I can ski on the little hill which is only 15 minutes drive and the beaches in summer are magnificant, you can nearly have one to yourself if you know where to go.

If you want any more info PM me, but remember its the same s*** just different ppl/place/country.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

chardinej is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Canadian who grew up in England (till 14 yo), lived there later (1978-81), visits regularly, and has UK friends a relatives. These last bits are just to say I haven't completely lost touch with "my second home". I have lived in Atlantic Canada for 25 years and would never leave.

But to get to Darren's question about cost of living, the fact is that Canada has a lower Cost of Living (CoL) Index than the UK (see http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...by_country.jsp). In both countries, there is huge variation in the CoL depending upon where you are. In Canada, living in a big city is a much more expensive proposition than living in a smaller town. Living in Atlantic Canada, or specifically the Maritimes (NS, NB and PE) is much cheaper than living in southern Ontario or the lower mainland of BC. Living in a smaller town in the Maritimes is therefore a double advantage, cost-wise. The cost of living where I am in New Brunswick (small university town) is laughably low compared to almost everywhere I am familiar with in the UK and Europe. A lot of this has to do with housing costs. You couldn't buy a garage in many places in the UK for the price of a pretty decent house in my local town (OK slight hyperbole for effect but you get the meaning). Many local properties come with land that would be considered an estate in the UK. Running a car is much cheaper anywhere in Canada, except maybe the high Arctic, due to much lower gas prices. Income tax rates are lower in Canada, are are sales taxes in each province compared to VAT. The price of luxury items like cameras is stunningly high in the UK (I'm a photographer so I know about this). Food costs are more or less the same in both countries but eating out is much cheaper in Canada if you compare similar styles and qualities of restaurants.

I've tried to be realistic here and not too defensive (not so easy after reading posts that slam Canada). Anyway, there you have it.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
If you look in the trucking section of the Working Abroad forum you will be able to find several postings about Seafood Express and PEI.
Maybe it would be better if a mod moved the posting to that section of the forum.
Good luck.
Thank you for your advice
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by feralbob
Ok sorry for delay... some rough numbers that apply to us. Adjust as necessary

Me 31, wife and 6 month old son. 2 bed house downtown Charlottetown - Not big a starter home, was done up when we bought it.

Mortage inc property taxes - $320 bi-weekly

Food - Avg $150 week. Sometimes more sometimes less. Higher now that we have the boy.

Eastlink (Internet and Phone only) - $90/month

Electricity - Low - $50/month - High - $75/month

Fuel - Probably average $125/month - but I'm a heat Nazi

Cellphone - $100/month (Expensive plan for work - but they cover it)

Booze - more than I care to admit

Any specific questions then fire away.
Hi sorry for the late reply we have just let our phone contract end with the hope we will be there soon, exciting times! were still on the hunt for some answers which hopefully will be answered in the trucking part.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:14 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darren,
I have lived here since 2006 and love the Island which is very beautiful in the summer if you dont mind being eaten by bugs lol.
The winters can be harsh and last a very long time and the temp can drop to-28 as it did last year.I love snow so it doesnt really bother me that much although the price of heating oil can be very expensive.The price of a full tank can vary from 500 dollars......900 dollars and if you have a large home that will only last a few months.
If you are thinking of renting an apartment the prices vary quite a lot depending on where you wish to live,more expensive in Charlottetown (nice area) in rundown downtown cheaper but not ideal if you have children.
As for trucking,I agree with the reply you got about looking out the treads on this subject,although I know of several peoplewho camr here to undertakr a trucking job in Charlottetown ony to find they got most of the short runs and the money making runs were always given to the Canadian truckers some in their late sixtys who have worked here for over 40 years so i wish you luck.
Most of the drivers move out to BC where their seems to be lots of high paying jobs but they have various rules and courses you may have to take before being employed by them.
You will not have a family doctor when you land and will have to join the waiting list.If you or any of your family do become ill you have to go to the emergency room at the hospital and wait sometimes up to 8 hours before being seen .The islanders are very different from Brits as is their culture they stay friends with people they went to school with or relatives and members of their own family and we are deemed ''From away'' and always will be so its hard to make friends here although if you have children at school it may be easier for your wife meeting other mums.
You will have island health over this does not include prescription charges or ambulance service this you have to pay for as with many other things that are not covered.
The cost of living has gone up quite a bit in the last few years and some items can be expensive basic foods included. You hav to pay to leave the island by bridge or by ferry and this at present is around 49 dollars for a car more for trucks etc.
I have been lucky eough to make some good friends and i live in rural pei
where they clear my driveway of snow and always check to to im ok during he atlantic storms etc. Its a safe place to live the crime rate is very low although there are the usual problems with drugs and alcohol as in all places .
I think you need to think about the move here all the good and bad points and if you do come i wish you and your family the very best of luck
Please feel free to contact me if you need any further info. Vi.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Hi Darren,
I have lived here since 2006 and love the Island which is very beautiful in the summer if you dont mind being eaten by bugs lol.
The winters can be harsh and last a very long time and the temp can drop to-28 as it did last year.I love snow so it doesnt really bother me that much although the price of heating oil can be very expensive.The price of a full tank can vary from 500 dollars......900 dollars and if you have a large home that will only last a few months.
If you are thinking of renting an apartment the prices vary quite a lot depending on where you wish to live,more expensive in Charlottetown (nice area) in rundown downtown cheaper but not ideal if you have children.
As for trucking,I agree with the reply you got about looking out the treads on this subject,although I know of several peoplewho camr here to undertakr a trucking job in Charlottetown ony to find they got most of the short runs and the money making runs were always given to the Canadian truckers some in their late sixtys who have worked here for over 40 years so i wish you luck.
Most of the drivers move out to BC where their seems to be lots of high paying jobs but they have various rules and courses you may have to take before being employed by them.
You will not have a family doctor when you land and will have to join the waiting list.If you or any of your family do become ill you have to go to the emergency room at the hospital and wait sometimes up to 8 hours before being seen .The islanders are very different from Brits as is their culture they stay friends with people they went to school with or relatives and members of their own family and we are deemed ''From away'' and always will be so its hard to make friends here although if you have children at school it may be easier for your wife meeting other mums.
You will have island health over this does not include prescription charges or ambulance service this you have to pay for as with many other things that are not covered.
The cost of living has gone up quite a bit in the last few years and some items can be expensive basic foods included. You hav to pay to leave the island by bridge or by ferry and this at present is around 49 dollars for a car more for trucks etc.
I have been lucky eough to make some good friends and i live in rural pei
where they clear my driveway of snow and always check to to im ok during he atlantic storms etc. Its a safe place to live the crime rate is very low although there are the usual problems with drugs and alcohol as in all places .
I think you need to think about the move here all the good and bad points and if you do come i wish you and your family the very best of luck
Please feel free to contact me if you need any further info. Vi.
Thank you so much for your informative post. Can you suggest any nice areas to rent property? We saw a couple of apartments in Straford (Ducks Landing to be precise) that looked nice. Are you familiar with that area?