French Test

Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French Test

Originally Posted by cinch
Hello to All,
having been a member for some months, we (the family, wife +2 Kids) now are commencing the task of completing the application forms. So as is traditional on these forums 'HELP'.
The first of many questions is this... Anyone taken the french test. My wife who will be the principal applicant has a bent for language however she has not really practised French for many years. She does have A level French and could probably re-skill comfortably., But to what level. If anyone has advice, tips or having taken the exam give any feedback how difficult/easy it is then all this advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance to all who may respond

Hi

My wife took the test in the UK. It was very very difficult. She can converse well when we are abroad, and she took on a private tutor who was French herself.

It ended up that the tutor doubted whether she herself could have passed the test as it was so hard.

The comprehension is not just a test of your reading and writing skills, the questions are worded so that you can hardly make an academic stab at an answer, you have to get it exactly right, bearing in mind a wrong answer means you get marks deducted.

My wife achieved the lowest level of pass, but I guess on our application, it helped to the point that she had at least tried.

We got in and landed last August.

Hope this helps, and dont be put off by the test, but be well aware it is very difficult. I don't think the A level will help, other than she has some idea what she is doing, but actually being fluent in French hardly seems to be much of an advantage either.

All the best

Peter