Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

French speaking ?

French speaking ?

Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

petejackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French speaking ?

Hi there, so where in Canada MUST you be able to speak French to live and work? Cheers, Pete
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French speaking ?

Originally Posted by petejackson
Hi there, so where in Canada MUST you be able to speak French to live and work? Cheers, Pete

Probably only in Quebec, depending on your area of work you might able to get by with not speaking much French in Montreal or somewhere like that. I don't think you need French in the other provinces.

If you're serious about Quebec I think you'd really need a decent level of French to settle in, find work and make new Friends.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Also Northern Ontario but that's it, rural Quebec and rural Northern Ontario, not likely spots for immigrants.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Also Northern Ontario but that's it, rural Quebec and rural Northern Ontario, not likely spots for immigrants.
Also New Brunswick. To some extent, Ottawa.

Plus positions in the federal government, anywhere, but you usually need to be a citizen for these.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Plus positions in the federal government, anywhere, but you usually need to be a citizen for these.
New Brunswick? I was in Saint John a while ago... I didn't hear any French ....
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Never heard French being spoke in NB, where did you here French spoke in NB? Have you actually been there? It is constitutionally bilingual, but have not personally experienced it. You need more than a computer, the Internet and Google to understand a culture and country.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Never heard French being spoke in NB, where did you here French spoke in NB? Have you actually been there? It is constitutionally bilingual, but have not personally experienced it. You need more than a computer, the Internet and Google to understand a culture and country.
Canadian census 2006 gave 33% French mother tongue for NB, although more towards the Quebec border.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in the blueberry fields in NB, up at Tracadie-Sheila, there are VERY few people up there who speak any English, and over by the Quebec border apparently 15% of the population only speak French according to the realtor my husband was with last week. That still leaves you a lot of people to talk to though I guess
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

In NB, places like Moncton, the east coast all the way up to QC near the Gaspe and along the St John River Valley from Grand Falls/Grand-Sault north to Edmunston are the french areas. You will rarely hear french in Fredericton or St. John. Places like Woodstock, St. Stephen are quite anglo.

In Ottawa, the east side (Vanier, Orleans) are the french areas (and even then you wouldn't need french to communicate with your neighbours or in shops) and then places like Rockland, Casselman, Hawkesbury are quite french and it would be more important to be able to speak french. In all of these places, only knowing english would not be a deterrant as most if not all of the locals can speak english (but they prefer french). Going east from Ottawa in a line going SE towards Cornwall, most of the areas north of that line are predominantly french speaking.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:16 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Maybe you didn't "here french spoke" in St. John but there are lots of francophones around Moncton and in central N.B and along the east Coast. They are mainly descendants of Les Acadienes. My neighbors here are from Bouctouche N.B. and are french speaking. There are also many french speakers around Edmunston and towards the Quebec border..
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future

I have been living for almost 18 months in Caraquet on the Acadian Penisula of Northern New Brunswick and I can tell you that it is RARE to hear any English here. Even the French that is spoken is very different from the French of my schooldays - Acadian French seems to use many unique words - often derived from English.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Maybe you didn't "here french spoke" in St. John but there are lots of francophones around Moncton and in central N.B and along the east Coast. They are mainly descendants of Les Acadienes. My neighbors here are from Bouctouche N.B. and are french speaking. There are also many french speakers around Edmunston and towards the Quebec border..
or even 'hear' it for that matter
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Canadian census 2006 gave 33% French mother tongue for NB, although more towards the Quebec border.
So I am guessing you have not actually been here?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My NB born neighbour is francophone, so if my Northern Ontario born mate...they converse in English as neither understands the others French!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
My NB born neighbour is francophone, so if my Northern Ontario born mate...they converse in English as neither understands the others French!
I had a French Co- op student working with me over the summer, part of his job was to do some work over on the dark side, he told me that with some of the people he was working with they could not understand each other and they had to drop back to speaking English!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.