Reload this Page >

French classes (NCR)

French classes (NCR)

Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:18 pm
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Question French classes (NCR)

I do apologize if this question has been asked numerous times.
I am looking for a quality French class around NCR.
I've heard about Alliance Francaise Ottawa but they don't teach the Québécoise French.

I've also heard the Ontario government gives free French classes or at least on a sliding price for newcomers.

Thanks for the info, folks...
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French classes (NCR)

The government program is called LINC...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...e/wel-22e.html
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that you will find a course to teach you Quebecois French. Even the government programmes in Quebec teach standard french. If you learn standard french you will be able to understand quebecois french. The differences are mainly in pronunciation though there are a number of words which have different meanings and some borrowed from other languages.

In my opinion looking for a course in quebecois french is like looking for a course in Glaswegian English and probably as useful (unless you are already good at speaking standard french).

My approach was to learn the standard type of french and then I bought a few books that taught me the differences. You are more likely to be understood that way.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABW
I do apologize if this question has been asked numerous times.
I am looking for a quality French class around NCR.
I've heard about Alliance Francaise Ottawa but they don't teach the Québécoise French.

I've also heard the Ontario government gives free French classes or at least on a sliding price for newcomers.

Thanks for the info, folks...
If you want to learn Québécois/Jouale, your best bet is a bar or construction site.

Alternatively, learn 'proper' French. Then, when speaking, substitute English versions for all verbs, converting them to the '-er' form.

Thus: 'brancher' becomes 'plugger'; 'nettoyer' becomes 'cleaner'; 'charger' becomes 'loader'.

If that stresses you, sit down and have 'un drink'. Just don't drive 'le char' after.

It's really that easy.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:33 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

I've finally found French classes for immigrants, only trouble is that registration and assessment was a week ago, so we're out of luck for the winter session. Spring session starts around April, I think. Classes are free, only a $25 fee, and there are 6 different locations in the city.
Read up on it here.