British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Free WIFI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/free-wifi-414021/)

Sutherlands Dec 16th 2006 7:22 pm

Free WIFI

Just nipping out tomorrow to get a laptop, and was wondering what out lets have free WIFI, McDonalds have it in the UK, And other places if you know how ;) what about in Canada, just so we can keep in touch with peeps back home, no point in paying for it if you can get it for free :D

Lol not even in the country and trying to get something for nothing just like they all do in the UK ...LMAO :D

Judy in Calgary Dec 16th 2006 7:50 pm

Re: Free WIFI

A Google search for WIFI + CALGARY brought up this website that lists WiFi Hotspots in Calgary.

Most of them are hotels or coffee shops. Aside from the hotels, the most comfortable places probably would be the Timothy's coffee shops. I'm familiar with the one in Kensington, which has arm chairs. Mac's is a convenience store (where you pop in to buy a carton of milk or a loaf or bread or a packet of cigarettes). None of the Mac's stores that I've been into has chairs or tables.

These WiFi Hotspots nominally may be free, but I'm sure there's an expectation that you'll buy a cup of coffee or tea while you're there. So it's possible that you'd be no further ahead than you were if you'd used an Internet cafe. You can find out locations of Internet cafes by doing a Google search for INTERNET CAFE + CALGARY.

You may be interested to know that you can use the Internet at public libraries for free. But it's not a WiFi service, I've heard the library's computers are relatively slow, and you have to book a time slot in advance.

kt0157 Dec 16th 2006 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
Just nipping out tomorrow to get a laptop, and was wondering what out lets have free WIFI, McDonalds have it in the UK

Being an extensive user of wifi in Montreal, I can tell you that most Second Cup places have free wifi. Not in Whistler, alas, and Vancouver seems very resistant to free wifi. I also found that Starbucks was good for free wifi, and most small non-chain cafe places too.

K.

Sean Boxer Dec 16th 2006 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by kt0157
Being an extensive user of wifi in Montreal, I can tell you that most Second Cup places have free wifi. Not in Whistler, alas, and Vancouver seems very resistant to free wifi. I also found that Starbucks was good for free wifi, and most small non-chain cafe places too.

K.

I've found that in Ottawa you have to pay for WIFI in Starbucks and Second Cup.
It's not too common in MacDonalds, there's only one that I know of and you have to buy some food. Most libraries have them.

They're so common you can pull your car up on any busy street and find a couple, I always feel a bit pervy when I do that though. Either pervy or spy-like, it depends on my mood.

Sutherlands Dec 16th 2006 8:31 pm

Thanks for the information, will save me from roaming about the streets looking for WIFI ..... ;)

Atlantic Xpat Dec 17th 2006 12:15 pm

St John's and Halifax airports have free Wifi which is excellent. Strangely I don't think Toronto airport has Wifi at all, even pay through the nose wifi like LHR.

Sutherlands Dec 17th 2006 7:59 pm

Ok on the same subject, have Laptop`s been allowed on flights again? or are they put in the hold??

kt0157 Dec 17th 2006 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
Ok on the same subject, have Laptop`s been allowed on flights again? or are they put in the hold??

No problem. They never were disallowed, which shows how badly the security regime was communicated. There was a separate problem of certain laptops with the Sony exploding batteries being banned from hand luggage. Then the airlines realized that having them in the hold where no-one would notice a fire was probably worse..

K.

dbd33 Dec 17th 2006 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Strangely I don't think Toronto airport has Wifi at all, even pay through the nose wifi like LHR.

No WIFI, no cabled internet and it's difficult to make dial up work from the payphones. Use the Buffalo airport instead.

Where McDonalds has adopted the cafe format with armchairs and all of that it has free WIFI but the only example I've seen is in Fort Collins, CO.