Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Free calls to UK Landlines?

Free calls to UK Landlines?

Old Apr 1st 2013, 1:35 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free calls to UK Landlines?

CiCi phonecard charges to the UK is 1c per minute to a landline. I have been using them for years with no problems.

http://www.ciciphonecard.com/cicieuro
Old Apr 1st 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by ralphster
Has anyone come across a way to make free calls to UK landlines from abroad?

Skype is great but relies on the other person having Skype turned on and being nearby.
Doesn't a phone rely on the person being nearby?
Also, some people can install Skype on their Android/iPhone and leave it online permanently.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:14 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I use 10 10 710 and you get nearly an hour for 99 cents,
http://1010710.com/

there is one that does I think 20 minutes for 50 cents but I can't remember the number.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Before we left the uk we set up a skype account. Free calls to land lines and only a small fee charged per min to cell phones. The big plus is our family are only calling a local uk number when they call us and it transfers to wherever we are in the world with our laptop ect.

We also redirect to our cell phones as well when lap top not on.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nikki Ian
Before we left the uk we set up a skype account. Free calls to land lines and only a small fee charged per min to cell phones. The big plus is our family are only calling a local uk number when they call us and it transfers to wherever we are in the world with our laptop ect.

We also redirect to our cell phones as well when lap top not on.

Skype doesn;t have free calls to landlines, it has free skype to skype calls.
Landline calls and mobiles have small charges.
Also calling a Skype number has a monthly charge too (you have to set this up on your account).
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

We swear by Localphone. 1 cent a minute to UK landlines.

Two other advantages too.
(a) For each of your contacts in the UK (or elsewhere in the world) you set up a Canadian number (local to you) which, when dialled, rings their UK number. The UK number can be a landline or cell; calls to cells are dearer. So basically you have an alternative (Canadian) number to call for each of your contacts. This only needs to be set up once per contact (and takes a few seconds) and thereafter that number is available to your landline, all your mobiles etc. - no codes to dial, passwords etc. You can set up as many of these numbers as you want, I think.

(b) you can also set up a UK phone number, local to wherever your family is, which will ring you (at your expense - 1c per minute) whenever one of your friends dials it. There's a monthly charge of a dollar for maintaining the UK number. Very handy for my partner's pensioner mother who just dials what looks to her to be a local Belfast number which goes straight through to our landline in Ontario. (Too easy really, as she forgets about the time difference!)

Call quality is excellent too.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't everyone simply have a telephone package that allows them to call anyone they want for free?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Doesn't everyone simply have a telephone package that allows them to call anyone they want for free?
I do.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
I do.
So do I. I accept it likely costs more than a bare bones package but I simply call when I want to without having to worry about whether the recipient has X type of phone or Y piece of computer software. Much easier.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

ralphster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. 1c/minute is cheaper than I have been paying so I'll check those out.

Also, here's a tip you might all find useful... If you are call any UK companies, always check on http://www.saynoto0870.com/ for an 0800 number. You can call any UK 0800 free on Skype regardless of whether you have a paid Skype subscription or not

Also, I use Google Voice for all North American calls - they announced in Dec 2012 that 2013 will still be free. So no more "long" distance charges! It is reliable and decent quality (not quite as good as a "good" Skype call)

Also, if you are running a business and want a free VOIP phone number, check out http://www.fongo.com/. Comes with free voicemail sent to email, and is free. I have been considering dropping Shaw's $30/mth phone rental and buying their "box". It would pay for itself within a few month (and save about $200+ per year). Only downside is no 911 facility. Still, if you have a cell, you could use that if needed. Has anyone done this? I think it is a bit like Vonage, but without the month payments.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:30 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scribble
Skype doesn;t have free calls to landlines, it has free skype to skype calls.
Landline calls and mobiles have small charges.
Also calling a Skype number has a monthly charge too (you have to set this up on your account).
We use Skype to Skype but also pay a small monthly fee and bought a Skype phone. I can call landlines all over the world paying nothing extra and chat for as long as I want. We also obtained a Skype virtual number so peops back in the UK can call us and they are charged as if they were calling UK. If we paid a little more we could phone mobiles too. It's a great service. I can't remember what we actually do pay (something like ten quid a month) but it's well worth every penny.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dotty P
We use Skype to Skype but also pay a small monthly fee and bought a Skype phone. I can call landlines all over the world paying nothing extra and chat for as long as I want. We also obtained a Skype virtual number so peops back in the UK can call us and they are charged as if they were calling UK. If we paid a little more we could phone mobiles too. It's a great service. I can't remember what we actually do pay (something like ten quid a month) but it's well worth every penny.
Sounds good. Did you buy it in Canada or the uk?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:36 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
Sounds good. Did you buy it in Canada or the uk?
All bought here...just go to www.skype.com and you can see. The skype phone is excellent, by the way