British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/fort-mcmurray-google-earthed-547224/)

Butch Cassidy Jul 7th 2008 4:17 am

Re: Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Originally Posted by Rich_007 (Post 6542252)
And so you think that makes it a good place....?

Go there. Move. Right now. You'll be very happy :unsure:

R.

You mean it doesnt?
Shouldnt we be concreting over all the 'green' space we can find?
Denegrating the history of our individual provinces (and before anyone bites my head off I know Alberta WASNT built on rodeos)?
On the one hand complaining that the UK isnt\what it used to be, all the traditions have been lost blahdy bloody blah and then in the next knocking Canadians for trying to maintain what few they have.

Yes I am getting on my high horse and yes I do have mixed feelings on:
1) The oil sands
2) The stampede\rodeo circuit
3) Canadas involvement in Afghanistan
4) Development within the national parks

BUT lets remember that bigotry has many forms. If 'we' are going to complain about immigrants not assimilating into UK life then we shouldnt be mocking Canadians who (genuinely) try to maintain the lifestyles and activities their forefathers followed.

lilpuddin Jul 7th 2008 10:16 am

Ok then, I didn’t mean to stir up a political debate in any way shape or form but it look like its happened anyway, and yes the UK is rapidly going downhill, where else in the civilised world can you listen to the radio first thing in the morning to discover that a body was found 8 doors down from where you are sleeping and a 16 yr old boy has been arrested , where else can you buy fuel for your car to get you to work because a bus doesn’t go to where you work and it costs £10 for 8 litres of said fuel, who wants take your child to a play park to find needles, broken beer bottles, dog mess and discover you’re the only one in the park who speaks English out of all the mums and feel the odd one out! and that’s just for starters, those of you who have already left the UK and are loving it in your new country, can you honestly say you would come back to the UK?, can you blame me for asking about a country where i want to live and raise my daughter? A simple "humm, some like it but it is a bit rough", or "whoa, don’t even go there", or "it’s a great place to live." that would have been great! But as for saying things like...

And so you think that makes it a good place....?

Go there. Move. Right now. You'll be very happy
Rich_007

That really fills a girl with confidence thank you for your input :blink:

And if we are getting on our high horses...
Every country around the world is going to grow, industries are going to appear over night, the fossil fuels are going to disappear the ice caps are going to eventually melt, that beautiful open country will be filled with yet another city in the making and there’s nothing you can do about it but try to help by doing your bit to help the environment that we all love so much and to teach our children that it’s got to stop, and it’s unfortunate that it will be up to them and our grandchildren to stop it because our generation now can only start the ball rolling!!! And if I didn’t love the environment I wouldn’t even think about moving to Canada!!! I recycle, I grow food, I compost everything I can, I buy second-hand clothing, I run an economical car, I walk when I can to the shop or school, we ride bikes, every light bulb in the house is an energy saver, my washer is on a timer so it comes on at night to save energy, I don’t have a dishwasher, I don’t have a tumble dryer, I use rain water for the garden, the list goes on, I know very few people round here who do what we do. The Canadians at least damm well try to look after their beautiful country even if the population is expanding and the industry is growing!

So yes Butch cassidy, I agree with you that you should stick to your values and way of life, why the heck should way of life change for others that are not used to it. That’s the start of why I’m leaving the UK with my family!

Lilpuddin has now got off her horse and has finished having a rant...

And thankyou to tperkz for the info, i might have to pick your brain for a bit more at a later stage if thats ok with you.

Lilpuddin and co:wub:

dbd33 Jul 7th 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by lilpuddin (Post 6543095)
where else in the civilised world can you listen to the radio first thing in the morning to discover that a body was found 8 doors down from where you are sleeping and a 16 yr old boy has been arrested , where else can you buy fuel for your car to get you to work because a bus doesn’t go to where you work and it costs £10 for 8 litres of said fuel, who wants take your child to a play park to find needles, broken beer bottles, dog mess and discover you’re the only one in the park who speaks English out of all the mums and feel the odd one out!

Toronto's like that.

Originally Posted by lilpuddin (Post 6543095)
The Canadians at least damm well try to look after their beautiful country even if the population is expanding and the industry is growing!

I think this might be the biggest set of misconceptions about Canada I've read in one sentence. Most of Canada isn't beautiful, I think the population is stable or falling slightly, industry as a whole is in trouble due to overseas competition and NAFTA. Fort McMoney and Sydney NS are World Heritage eyesores, clear cutting of forests is ugly and destructive, overall the resource based industries are about profit at the expense of the landscape, there's no element of looking after the country.

lilpuddin Jul 7th 2008 12:15 pm

Now you see dbd33 thats the sort of feedback i was looking for, thankyou.

dbd33 Jul 7th 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by lilpuddin (Post 6543656)
Now you see dbd33 thats the sort of feedback i was looking for, thankyou.

On the other hand, there aren't many people in Canada so it'll take a very long time to make it all look ugly.

lilpuddin Jul 7th 2008 12:53 pm

Well at the moment there is nowhere else in the world we would want to be, we can honestly say we hate it here in the UK, Australia is too far from the UK to pop back for a week’s visit, forget the rest of Europe, We have family in New Zealand and been once didn’t like it, as far as America goes... I can’t think of any good reason for going to America.:unsure: And if in a year or so down the line we hate it in Canada we can come back and only hope and pray that the UK is in better shape than when we left it... I very much doubt it will but one can only hope and only time can tell from this moment on.

dbd33 Jul 7th 2008 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by lilpuddin (Post 6543920)
as far as America goes... I can’t think of any good reason for going to America

When I emigrated I had pretty much that idea, I thought America violent and free of healthcare, Canada seemed like America-Light. As it happened I wound up mostly working in the US and now that view seems very odd; I can't tell the difference between Canada and the USA and would go to whichever one offered me a job.

lilpuddin Jul 7th 2008 1:19 pm

I heard from friend that Americans are not so keen on britts taking jobs though, even though as in Canada there is none else to do said job... Friend is a Game developer and had a lot of trouble at his place of work with the natives so to speak. Plus the fact most of them all thought he came from Australia to start with...is this a common misconception? :blink:

dbd33 Jul 7th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by lilpuddin (Post 6544077)
I heard from friend that Americans are not so keen on britts taking jobs though, even though as in Canada there is none else to do said job...

In the computer field in either country they're more worried about jobs going overseas then people coming to take them.

Plus the fact most of them all thought he came from Australia to start with...is this a common misconception?

Yes, that's usual in either country.

Souvenir Jul 7th 2008 1:41 pm

Plus the fact most of them all thought he came from Australia to start with...is this a common misconception? :blink:

North Americans are not good at identifying anglophone accents. I am routinely asked by both anglophone and francophone Canadians if I'm British, Australian, Kiwi, South African.............

Australian is the most common guess. I'm from Sussex.

The confusion has its advantages. There are bits of Quebec where being English is a crime. I can claim to be Scottish (half true) and be allowed to live.

JET747 Jul 7th 2008 1:51 pm

There is a couple of points of interest here.

Most importantly everyone has different reasons for emigrating. Yes, I don't like what this country has become and fear in the future for my children. This is not only based on law, space, religion and education, but also that the culture predominently is a drink culture. Canada, Oz, and the US seem to have a culture where the Great Outdoors features heavily - if you want it.

Fort McMurry is isolated - without question. However this may be what you want. Personally by choice I would rather Edmonton or Calgary where they are two major cities not too far apart from one another and a lot more on offer - work wise I may not end up with that choice ???.

There is another important point raised and this is regarding the Oil Sands, pollution, raping the landscape etc. I don't totally believe in climate change - it's just another reason to higher taxes although pollution is not good in general. The scientific world is split, with the top ones now casting a lot of doubt saying that it is cyclic. If you dont extract the oil and energy from natural resources where else are you going to do it ?

Wind turbines are a complete waste of time. Hydro is only good in the mountains and then you flood some habitat. If humans want their electricity, which life would be so different without, and their cars, planes trains etc then there has got to be places like the oil sands to fuel the 21st centuary world lifestyle. Canada is self sufficient where here we are relying more on Russia and the middle east for oil, gas etc. This means that we can be held over a barrel for our energy and future. You need energy.

Failing this let us go back to horses, candles and a world without computers - which everything runs off now. I guess if you want to live somewhere like that then you would be looking at large parts of China, Africa or the amazon.

Places like Fort McMurry are needed and therefore we need to thank the people who live in these places for the contribution they make to what we take for granted !!

JET:)

JET747 Jul 7th 2008 1:55 pm

Forgot to add. Regarding our US friends - the Brits in General are less likely to talk a good job and are far more disciplined - and therefore go there and do a lot better than the yanks themselves.

JET:)

dbd33 Jul 7th 2008 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by JET747 (Post 6544297)
Canada, Oz, and the US seem to have a culture where the Great Outdoors features heavily - if you want it.

I don't see how this is the case, what do people do in the named countries that has to do with the outdoors that they don't in the UK?

Originally Posted by JET747 (Post 6544297)
Canada is self sufficient where here we are relying more on Russia and the middle east for oil, gas etc.

Is this so? Do you have a link? My impression is that while Canada produces a lot of certain types of oil and gas, as well as selling electricity, it imports others, it may have a net financial gain from energy trading but that only works in conjunction with other countries, Canada couldn't do without the other countries.

iaink Jul 7th 2008 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6544348)
I don't see how this is the case, what do people do in the named countries that has to do with the outdoors that they don't in the UK?

They actually have some of it around their houses???

dbd33 Jul 7th 2008 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 6544376)
They actually have some of it around their houses???

True, more people in Canada can look at the outdoors through the window than people in the UK. There's also the fishing channel.