Reload this Page >

Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

lilpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Originally Posted by JET747
There is another important point raised and this is regarding the Oil Sands, pollution, raping the landscape etc. I don't totally believe in climate change - it's just another reason to higher taxes although pollution is not good in general. The scientific world is split, with the top ones now casting a lot of doubt saying that it is cyclic. If you dont extract the oil and energy from natural resources where else are you going to do it ?

Wind turbines are a complete waste of time. Hydro is only good in the mountains and then you flood some habitat. If humans want their electricity, which life would be so different without, and their cars, planes trains etc then there has got to be places like the oil sands to fuel the 21st centuary world lifestyle. Canada is self sufficient where here we are relying more on Russia and the middle east for oil, gas etc. This means that we can be held over a barrel for our energy and future. You need energy.
True, we need energy,and we are already over a barrel, we gave up our chance of being self sufficient years ago, and i am a firm believer that the earth has its own cycle, but adding to it with the UK's nappy mountain and plastic bags killing seals and fish and god knows what else is not called for and is most defiantly not helping matters. We can still have all the fab things that the earth has to give us, but just dont take her for granted...I like trees to much, and this rare thing called fresh air.

And what happened to the Fort McMurray discussion anyway . Besides the fact that hubby is insisting after he read this thread that we got to Edmonton/Calgary
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilpuddin
but adding to it with the UK's nappy mountain
Do you think babies don't shit in Canada? These sorts of things are not any different here.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
Regarding our US friends - the Brits in General are less likely to talk a good job and are far more disciplined - and therefore go there and do a lot better than the yanks themselves.
With respect, JET, I think that's bollocks.

What may be true is that a migrant of any nationality has more get up go than many of the people around him/her.

But, if you compare migrants from one country with the general population of another country, you're comparing apples and oranges.
x
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you think babies don't shit in Canada? These sorts of things are not any different here.
Aye, and Canada is not exactly renowned for its seal welfare program either
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Do plastic bags really "kill seals and fish"? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3508263.ece
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
With respect, JET, I think that's bollocks.

What may be true is that a migrant of any nationality has more get up go than many of the people around him/her.

But, if you compare migrants from one country with the general population of another country, you're comparing apples and oranges.
x
Brits in America have the advantage of a novelty accent, that's good for selling stuff.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ohh thanks for that Biiiink... i been looking for that artical for hours

and as for dbd telling me that babies shit in Canada too...well, im gobsmacked
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Brits in America have the advantage of a novelty accent, that's good for selling stuff.
Agreed, thats how both myself and Mrs C have been so 'successful' here
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

So why did you all leave the UK to go to Canada...the same reason as most here that the UK is going downhill with no sign of slowing?

I asked about Fort McMurray and got my answer...some love it some hate it.

When we tell people what we are doing and we are going to Canada they all say the same 2 things...are you mad and go for it! we say yes to both as you never know until you try, and I for one cannot live with "what if" if I did I wouldn’t have met my husband, had my daughter and I wouldn’t be here discussing Canada with any of you. And the advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

And what happened to the Fort McMurray discussion anyway . Besides the fact that hubby is insisting after he read this thread that we got to Edmonton/Calgary [/QUOTE]

Sorry to transgress earlier, I just got up from 3 nightshifts and maybe talking bollocks as Judy suggests. I guess you made up your mind. What I feel is disappointing is the lack of people coming forward to give McMurry a good view point. We have had a couple but on the whole there is more negative comments.

Good luck in your pursuit.

JET
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So why did you all leave the UK to go to Canada
Cheap housing.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap housing.
Thats not why I left, but its part of why I stayed.

I left cos I was offered a better payed, more exciting job here. I do actually rather like the UK, but wouldnt dream of living there anymore.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:28 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats not why I left, but its part of why I stayed.

I left cos I was offered a better payed, more exciting job here. I do actually rather like the UK, but wouldnt dream of living there anymore.
My sentiments (almost) exactly. We came here cos we could ski (almost) on the doorstep and the sun shone more often.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

littlemiss25 is an unknown quantity at this point

So why did you all leave the UK to go to Canada...the same reason as most here that the UK is going downhill with no sign of slowing?

I asked about Fort McMurray and got my answer...some love it some hate it.

When we tell people what we are doing and we are going to Canada they all say the same 2 things...are you mad and go for it! we say yes to both as you never know until you try, and I for one cannot live with "what if" if I did I wouldn’t have met my husband, had my daughter and I wouldn’t be here discussing Canada with any of you. And the advice is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you started a right ole debate here lilpud!!

I think it seems to be the same everywhere you ask, i am member in few different forums and get the same responses about fort mcmurray every time I ask, some love it and some hate it. Everyone also thinks i am mad for going but then when you start to tell them what your planning to do and why they soon come round and think its a brilliant idea, i think i have managed to persuade a few friends to also consider the big move.

Whilst i was there last year i visited Edmonton also - the shopping is brilliant but i cant really say that i got to see how people live there. When are you hoping to go? What stage are you at? Have you got jobs etc organised?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hey littlemiss...

I did stir up a bit of a stew didn’t I...

We are still in the info overload stage and hubby applying for jobs, we are hoping to be out there asap really, we don’t have a house to sell, we don’t have a lot of loose ends to tie up, we are quite lucky really, but we have decided that no matter where we go, we are going, after all, you can always move if you don’t like an area, although we will be restricted to one province for a while on a TWP, but I’m used to that.

Feel free to pm me, it’s nice to hear from someone who’s just as barmey as we are...not saying your barmey but if you are all the better

lilpuddin and co

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.