Reload this Page >

Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

lilpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Hi peeps,
Hubby just applied for a job in Fort McMurray... we have just got it up on google earth and it looks an amazing place with lots of development going on.
can anyone give us a thumbs up sort of place to consider or ?
any feedback is appreciated

lilpuddin and co
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fort McMurray,Google Earthed it

Originally Posted by lilpuddin
Hi peeps,
Hubby just applied for a job in Fort McMurray... we have just got it up on google earth and it looks an amazing place with lots of development going on.
can anyone give us a thumbs up sort of place to consider or ?
any feedback is appreciated

lilpuddin and co

lots of Drugs, Alcohol Abuse and Prostitution. Kinda like dodge for the 21st Century.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Although McMurry is bristling with money due to the oil, you get paid well due to the isolation. I am looking for a position within the Industry, however, I am looking for the Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary areas as there is more civilisation there.

There have been a few people who have mentioned drugs and violence, even ones that I have talked to who have worked there 30 years. The message I had from a local welder here who was there, if you are single it's ok - but don't take a young family there to emigrate.

The only point to consider for us all is the fact that McMurry is where a lot of work is. What does your husband do ?

JET
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:43 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
Although McMurry is bristling with money due to the oil, you get paid well due to the isolation. I am looking for a position within the Industry, however, I am looking for the Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary areas as there is more civilisation there.

JET
Red Deer? Civilised?? I guess you've never been.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hubby is an IT computing consultant, can do pretty much everything from build you a new pc from scratch to building, networking, troubleshoot and reprograming whole systems for huge companies. I just call him my very own pc nerd, he is also a huge gamer.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

We have also looked into Edmonton, we like the look of it there.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:08 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
It seems fine every time I go there. Guess it depends on what you compare it to.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
It seems fine every time I go there. Guess it depends on what you compare it to.
Sorry I forgot to edit to add civilised is not a word that springs to mind about Western Canada in general.
(and yes I live in western Canada and with the possible exception of Montreal wouldnt live anywhere else in 'The True North')
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:13 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I forgot to edit to add civilised is not a word that springs to mind about Western Canada in general.
(and yes I live in western Canada and with the possible exception of Montreal wouldnt live anywhere else in 'The True North')
Again, I guess it depends on what your expectations are. Groceries come from a store, we have running water (out of a tap) and phones, civilised enough for me. Would not give a thank you for the city life, if you can call it civilised, fighting traffic to go anywhere & the only greenery is the TD bank sign.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jul 6th 2008 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

littlemiss25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you currenly living? I think it totally depends on what you are expecting when you get there - when i was there last year it seemed really nice, i know people there who dont like it but stay anyway, pretty much the same as in england...
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

We currently live 50 miles north of London in Milton Keynes, most folk from the UK call it the concrete jungle. its..ok.. ive lived here all my life (on and off) and i hate it with a passion... ive lived all over the UK apart from Scotland, but hubby comes from Thurso far north of jock land. We like peace and quiet, we're very sociable people but we dont like noise, hence the reason for not going to a big city, We think Edmonton is at the top of the list at the mo. We know from research its big, but not Vancouver or Toronto big.

The only thing i dont like about where McMurray is, is its miles and miles away from anything, not like you can nip to Edmonton for the day for shopping trip unless you leave at 2am
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

HEY!:mad:
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
HEY!:mad:
Hi sweetie
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

tperkz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a bit slow in replying to this one but I can definitely give Fort McMurray the thumbs up. I've lived here for eight years and yes it has it's problems because of the stunning growth but the bottom line is it has still been a great place to live and bring up two boys (one ninteen and the other one six - I guess the six year old is a testament to the really cold winters but you get used to it!!).

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:08 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilpuddin
//it looks an amazing place with lots of development going on.
And so you think that makes it a good place....?

Go there. Move. Right now. You'll be very happy

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.