Fort McMurray

Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fort McMurray

Maybe.....however as Canada is stable and friendly compared to some of the trouble spots of the world where oil is found - - such as Africa and middle east, it is a safer supply. No Deep Water risks either like we saw in the accident in the gulf.

The technology is improving and emissions will get lower. Nuclear Power would pretty much reduce this a huge amount - however that is also a dirty word now. But as long as people want automobiles, planes and electricity there will always be a demand until the black stuff runs out.

Time will tell

JET
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:05 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
I am aiming at a Camp job which is in Operations a week in and week out. At moment I am on a BP plant in Fort Saskatchewan but vacation time goes to seniority - so all kids holiday time used up. At least I will have every other week off and get paid a base salary of $110 - 120k plus allowances.

The camp life you get accomodation and all your meals. There are opportunities to work 3 in and 1 out - the middle week being OT - this is where you can really raise the salary. Flights are also provided from Edmonton, Calgary and Lloydminster - although Cenovus actually fly from a lot of other places also.

Within the next 5 years there will be a lot of positions available and the oilsands companies will be competeing with each other to get people - therefore driving salaries up.

JET
JET747 - you work in Operations, which is the low-demand side of the business, labour-wise. Not much is seriously going to change the demand for Operations personnel over the next 5 years... 2 or 3 plants coming on-stream perhaps, that's a few hundred people.

Any investment in oilsands projects over the next 5 years will really only impact the Engineering and Construction sides of the business... the people who design the plans and then build them. That's where the thousands of jobs come from, but they're not usually staff jobs, they're highly paid contract jobs, and none of them have the cushy equal time on/off that Operations do... we want the hours!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

justme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nice

I would have thought that getting into Fort McMurray would have been easier than getting into a private company but we have heard nothing from FT Mac and lots of positives from private companies.

Still ploughing on and hoping for the FT Mac break though
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justme31170
I would have thought that getting into Fort McMurray would have been easier than getting into a private company but we have heard nothing from FT Mac and lots of positives from private companies.Still ploughing on and hoping for the FT Mac break though
??

Fort McMurray is a town.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

justme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
??

Fort McMurray is a town.

lol sorry I meant into employment in the oil sands at Ft Mac
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
and none of them have the cushy equal time on/off that Operations do... we want the hours!
Become an Operator !

Although my sources tell me that over the next 5 years a lot of operations people will look to retire.

JET