Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

formal qualifications

Wikiposts

formal qualifications

Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all
Default formal qualifications

hi
i am a plasterer by trade, but i served my time on site within in the family firm so i dont have any qualifications on paper but i have be doing my job for over 20 yrs. can i get a visa without formal qualifications?

cheers
david
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:03 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: formal qualifications

Yeah, loads of banks are quite happy to dish credit cards out willy-nilly. No good will come of it, mark my words.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:39 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scratchey
hi
i am a plasterer by trade, but i served my time on site within in the family firm so i dont have any qualifications on paper but i have be doing my job for over 20 yrs. can i get a visa without formal qualifications?

cheers
david
Hi Scratchy

If you apply through Skilled worker programme its all to do with points - you can go on the CIC website and see how many points you can get - without having to formally apply. It may be worth doing that as you may gain points in other areas.
If you go down the route of getting employemnt before you move - and then apply for temporary work permit - your quals wont come into it for the work permit as it would depend if the employer would be willing to hire you without them.

Bazzz - im quite new to the forum but your posts make me laugh, your like the Victor Meldrew of britishexpats
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:40 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tanah
Bazzz - im quite new to the forum but your posts make me laugh, your like the Victor Meldrew of britishexpats
I think that's an improvement on Keith Chegwin.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:42 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bazzz
I think that's an improvement on Keith Chegwin.
ha - i think anything is an improvement on keith Chegwin - i can never look at that man again after seeing him in the 'naked' gameshow he hosted
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all

Hi Scratchy

If you apply through Skilled worker programme its all to do with points - you can go on the CIC website and see how many points you can get - without having to formally apply. It may be worth doing that as you may gain points in other areas.
If you go down the route of getting employemnt before you move - and then apply for temporary work permit - your quals wont come into it for the work permit as it would depend if the employer would be willing to hire you without them.

thanks tanah
can a temp work permit allow me to bring my family and allow us to stay in canada and apply for PR?

cheers
david
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:07 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

thanks tanah
can a temp work permit allow me to bring my family and allow us to stay in canada and apply for PR?

cheers
david
Yes.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

A plasterer or drywall installer is not a Red Seal Trade in Alberta, for example. That means you can get the job simply on experience.

Read the Wiki on Skilled Trades, along with the warning about the possibility of getting laid off.

Check the Red Seal website, and find out whether plasterers / drywall installers are listed as a trade in each province in which you're interested.

Read the Occupations Under Pressure lists for various provinces, to find out where there are shortages of plasterers / drywall installers.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Mar 11th 2008 at 4:23 am. Reason: Added links to relevant websites.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:18 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply through Skilled worker programme its all to do with points - you can go on the CIC website and see how many points you can get - without having to formally apply. It may be worth doing that as you may gain points in other areas
Getting in through the skilled worker route is taking 5+ years at present, and all predictions are that the waiting time will grow longer, as the backlog of applications is growing larger. See the Wiki called Getting into Canada quickly.
x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:28 am
is Happy

thanks tanah

cheers
david
Yes it can - although im a nurse and could have applied for PNP through my job - it would have been much harder for my hubby to get a job as painter/decorator - so we decided to look for work for him and go down that route instead ( more chance of me getting work on landing than him)
As part of his 'package' i get an open work permit and the kids are only 9 and 11 so dont need study permits ( as i understand)
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:40 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Yes it can - although im a nurse and could have applied for PNP through my job - it would have been much harder for my hubby to get a job as painter/decorator - so we decided to look for work for him and go down that route instead ( more chance of me getting work on landing than him)
As part of his 'package' i get an open work permit and the kids are only 9 and 11 so dont need study permits ( as i understand)
You also could have applied for a work permit, and your husband could have got a spousal open work permit off the back of your work permit.

I don't know which province you want to move to. In Alberta and BC, registered nurses are eligible for an expedited labour market opinion, which is issued within 5 working days if the application is in order.

People in the construction trades are at some risk of being laid off during the winter. If a work permit holder is laid off, he/she can't work for another employer till he/she gets another work permit. But the chances of a nurse being laid off are virtually nil.

If you were the primary work permit holder and your husband had an SOWP and he was laid off, it wouldn't matter. He could just go out and look for another job and start work as soon as he found it.

I also believe you are the one who is more likely to get a permanent job offer that you could use to fast-track your PR application once you're working in Canada. But, to do that, you would need to be the primary work permit holder.
x