Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Foreigners struggle to find work?? - real problem or media exaggeration??

Foreigners struggle to find work?? - real problem or media exaggeration??

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreigners struggle to find work?? - real problem or media exaggeration??

I am not a professional so connecting with people for jobs isn't really a thing, but I did join linkedin a few years ago as everyone seemed to suggest it at the time.

I have a few old co-workers on it, but not much else, my old manager from a hotel is on it, but none of them appear to actually use the site anymore based on lack of activity.

Doesn't look like many over the years have found my profile, used to say how many views it had, low 30's if I recall.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Mobius1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Foreigners struggle to find work?? - real problem or media exaggeration??

Well I have now received the invitation to apply so will be filling out my application over the next month, hopefully to receive a work permit which will allow me to come over to Canada in 2018 to start working.

I'm really hoping the doom and gloom I've heard so far isn't necessarily true because I would like to continue my professional career in Canada with the aim of becoming a permanent resident.

Guess I'll just have to see how it goes!
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:15 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Networking is key, as a recruiter I use LinkedIn a lot and the online population seems to be growing quite a bit, I think it depends on what industry you are in and how much you use it really. I'd also suggest joining some Meet Up Groups to help with the networking, look at any networking events as well.

If you want to stay in recruitment, your skill set is definitely transferable.

Our company has hired a number of people on IEC's and they have since gone on to gaining their PR. So not all doom and gloom!
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Mobius1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Networking is key, as a recruiter I use LinkedIn a lot and the online population seems to be growing quite a bit, I think it depends on what industry you are in and how much you use it really. I'd also suggest joining some Meet Up Groups to help with the networking, look at any networking events as well.

If you want to stay in recruitment, your skill set is definitely transferable.

Our company has hired a number of people on IEC's and they have since gone on to gaining their PR. So not all doom and gloom!
Excellent, thank you so much for the encouraging words there.

As a recruiter I do have a better idea than most of the best strategies for finding jobs and I will definitely hit the networking side of things hard.

I think in the long run I would like to be in the Pharma industry in HR or Learning and Development roles but will happily start off in recruitment in Toronto if I can find a company like yours who will hire IECs.

Thank you again
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mobius1988
Excellent, thank you so much for the encouraging words there.

As a recruiter I do have a better idea than most of the best strategies for finding jobs and I will definitely hit the networking side of things hard.

I think in the long run I would like to be in the Pharma industry in HR or Learning and Development roles but will happily start off in recruitment in Toronto if I can find a company like yours who will hire IECs.

Thank you again
Do bear in mind that job seeking here is different to the UK and it's a lot of 'who you know, not what you know'. Additionally, the type of resume required, how it's set up etc., is different.

You may find the wiki page useful. Category:Job Hunting-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried linked in for networking from the UK. Before you can message someone they need to be connected. I use linked in a lot as i'm self employed, so my profile is complete with photo, education, career, connections and endorsements; basically my profile looks genuine. I haven't had a single person accept a connection.

I get connection requests from people myself from all over the world, usually China/India though and so I can understand why they don't accept my connection. They probably look at it like I do.. 'who is this random person from thousands of miles away and what do they want?... reject'

I'm just going to save a wad of cash, go over with my girlfriend who is a nurse. If we burn through our cash before getting a job then I'll just say at least I tried and go back to the UK. The way I see it, if an experienced nurse and engineer can't get a job in Canada then it's either their loss or the work isn't there. I worked years of minimum wage jobs while getting qualified, I'm happy to start at the bottom in Engineering but I won't be working at McDonald's just to survive.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 11:17 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'm just going to save a wad of cash, go over with my girlfriend who is a nurse. If we burn through our cash before getting a job then I'll just say at least I tried and go back to the UK.

The way I see it, if an experienced nurse and engineer can't get a job in Canada then it's either their loss or the work isn't there.

I worked years of minimum wage jobs while getting qualified,

I'm happy to start at the bottom in Engineering but I won't be working at McDonald's just to survive.
wait till you get here & see how many folks "work to survive" in the 'service & hospitality industry' in Canada

Just need to remember that you'll be up against local qualified, unemployed folks for jobs in Engineering

Good luck to the both of you
Old Dec 10th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
wait till you get here & see how many folks "work to survive" in the 'service & hospitality industry' in Canada

Just need to remember that you'll be up against local qualified, unemployed folks for jobs in Engineering

Good luck to the both of you
Is it actually that bad? People with engineering/IT/medical qualifications working in hospitality because there's no work?
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it actually that bad? People with IT qualifications working in hospitality because there's no work?
No.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Is it actually that bad? People with engineering/IT/medical qualifications working in hospitality because there's no work?
you may want to get first hand info from the person that just posted in the following thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...pected-888686/
Old Dec 11th 2016, 12:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
you may want to get first hand info from the person that just posted in the following thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...pected-888686/
The complaint there is that computer consulting doesn't pay as well in Toronto as in Philadelphia. Fair comment. It doesn't pay as much in Toronto as in London either. However, a new-in-town computer consultant with marginally desirable skills might have to settle for $50 Canadian an hour. That may not be great money but it's not burger flipping money either and truly no one gives a shit where the computer consultant came from. If the consultant is from Bangalore, Russia, Shanghai or the UK then integration is easy but if they're a minority candidate with skills, firms will work with that.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:00 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

A consultant does not have to work in the town they live in. I did some consulting for a brief period in my career, the closest I got to home was 1500km and the furthest was the other side of the globe. Money was pretty good. If one does international work it is for international pay, local work = local pay.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 5:26 am
Just Joined

cjfcollin is an unknown quantity at this point

The working holiday visa is usually used by young people doing short term, temporary jobs. Often in the service industry, or tourism. The work 2-3 months, then move on to another job. People with skills like yours would have a very difficult time finding a short term job. Although a degree in Chemistry might really help being a coffee artist.... Seriously, there will not be much for you on this visa. Moving permanently, however, might be a better option for you. It would be much easier to get a position.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjfcollin
The working holiday visa is usually used by young people doing short term, temporary jobs. Often in the service industry, or tourism. The work 2-3 months, then move on to another job. People with skills like yours would have a very difficult time finding a short term job. Although a degree in Chemistry might really help being a coffee artist.... Seriously, there will not be much for you on this visa. Moving permanently, however, might be a better option for you. It would be much easier to get a position.
There are quite a few on BE who have come over on the IEC working holiday permit and found permanent skilled jobs and have then gone on to gain PR. It's not all doom and gloom!

Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There are quite a few on BE who have come over on the IEC working holiday permit and found permanent skilled jobs and have then gone on to gain PR. It's not all doom and gloom!

+1. In fact, the majority of IEC'ers on BE do 'proper' jobs on it, now it's 2 years especially they're not limited to short term work and can find jobs that can enable them to stay in Canada if they wish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.