Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ford Explorer XLT

Ford Explorer XLT

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:17 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ford Explorer XLT

Running a 2001 escape

Only issue was a clutch failure and that was due partly to ignorance in the garage and getting dirt in the master cylinder (repair cost around $2000)
Redid the brakes and put a new alternator in around 200,000km
As for comment on the 4x4, it does its job when need in snow and can be switched from auto to fulltime if you really need it to be.
I t used as the around town family work horse after 3 year as the main commuter vehicle and its done several multi day road trips from Ontario to North Carolina
When this one dies, I’ll be looking at escapes again (if they’re still made when it fails)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Running a 2001 escape

Only issue was a clutch failure and that was due partly to ignorance in the garage and getting dirt in the master cylinder (repair cost around $2000)
Redid the brakes and put a new alternator in around 200,000km
As for comment on the 4x4, it does its job when need in snow and can be switched from auto to fulltime if you really need it to be.
I t used as the around town family work horse after 3 year as the main commuter vehicle and its done several multi day road trips from Ontario to North Carolina
When this one dies, I’ll be looking at escapes again (if they’re still made when it fails)
Interesting, OH hates them, says they are harsh and noisy and expensive for what they are, I don't think we'll ever have one, he is so unimpressed. He is also completely unimpressed with the new Fiesta that has just arrived.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:41 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Interesting, OH hates them, says they are harsh and noisy and expensive for what they are, I don't think we'll ever have one, he is so unimpressed. He is also completely unimpressed with the new Fiesta that has just arrived.
Harsh maybe, they do have all the driving characteristics of a Landover (discovery style). Noisy well I’d go with the same territory; they’re certainly not a luxury SUV no matter how you dress it up.
But expensive, No! The parts and wear and tear costs I find lower than many other makes, the smaller engines are very fuel efficient and that brings the overall cost down too..
If you’re looking for an SUV to park and pose in the works car park, or to be fun to drive, or fast and smooth on the highway then this isn’t the car of choice.
However if you want an SUV as a family utility vehicle (read all round sport/camping/road trip/grocery shopping/large load carrying general workhorse) and intend to use it for what it was built to do then the escape does that well
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We got a Ford Explorer, the Eddie Bauer model. It is a 2006 and we got it for $18,000 in 2008. It is fully loaded and has been extremely reliable, after 2 years all we have had to spend is routine servicing and some windscreen wipers. We are very pleased with it.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Harsh maybe, they do have all the driving characteristics of a Landover (discovery style). Noisy well I’d go with the same territory; they’re certainly not a luxury SUV no matter how you dress it up.
But expensive, No! The parts and wear and tear costs I find lower than many other makes, the smaller engines are very fuel efficient and that brings the overall cost down too..
If you’re looking for an SUV to park and pose in the works car park, or to be fun to drive, or fast and smooth on the highway then this isn’t the car of choice.
However if you want an SUV as a family utility vehicle (read all round sport/camping/road trip/grocery shopping/large load carrying general workhorse) and intend to use it for what it was built to do then the escape does that well
He means expensive to initially buy compared to other ford suv's of same age I suppose, I personally know nothing about them and haven't even sat in one
Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We got a Ford Explorer, the Eddie Bauer model. It is a 2006 and we got it for $18,000 in 2008. It is fully loaded and has been extremely reliable, after 2 years all we have had to spend is routine servicing and some windscreen wipers. We are very pleased with it.
Our very 1st car when we got here was a 1992/3 Eddie Bauer Explorer - I believe of exploder vintage (tyres had been changed several times before we took possession). I think OH paid around 2K for it, tarted it up a bit, we used it for a bit and then sold it and upgraded to our 1st Expedition a couple of years later the chap we sold it to, asked if we wanted to buy it back, we did, we used it again for a few months and then sold it. Before the guy came to collect it OH was on his way to Edmonton to check out some rims and it blew up, the buyer still bought it for a couple of hundred less than originally. The thing had 350,000 kms on it when it finally gave up the ghost. It was a great suv, even it was 3 tones of brown

Oh and by the way Stef, OH doesn't think you should have any unusual probs with what your looking for, he still can't think of anything that goes wrong on a regular basis with them.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Aug 4th 2010 at 12:37 am.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Ford Explorer XLT. It wasn't my car of choice but as funds were limited and we have dogs, we decided it would be a good car to start out with.

I have had it nearly 2 years and it has been a great car. The dogs have their space - the kids have plenty of space, we can get out and about in the snow in it, get up the mountains switching it over to 4x4. Its great on the Highway and great around town.

Not too big to park or manoevre but big enough not to feel intimidated by the huge juggernauts out there! I like the fact that it can shift when I want it too or can poodle about - its on over 200 K's and is still going strong.

If I were to get another vehicle - I would just buy a newer one of these (Or a Mustang GT500/Dodge Charger but thats WAY off! hahah). My friend has just gone and got a 2006 XLT and its better looking but still has all the bells and whistles of the older XLT.

We went to a dealership and got this one we have...its been a-ok thus far (I've probably gone and jinxed it now!).

Good luck with your search - I think its a practical solution without going too big!

Last edited by NatsnSid; Aug 4th 2010 at 12:54 am. Reason: Muppet as I got miles/k's mixed up hahah
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
You want honest opinion right?

Ford= Found On Roadside Dead..

The explorer is an ok SUV, if a bit small...they have a more appropriate nickname..The Ford Exploder..due to their tendancy to rollover and explode..

Of course this will depend on how you drive...SUV's, just like trucks, have a higher center of gravity and handle differently...

Bearing all that in mind, I drive an Expedition at work and its great...

I would just research...look at crash rating and consumer reports etc...

Your insurance rating will be determined by the vehicle, driving records, age, zipcode etc etc...good luck...
SO many tired old cliches I dont know where to start.

PErhaps some independent review from a respected source.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2006/0...-2002-2005.htm

Canadian Driver has a lot of usefull info on used vehicles, but watchout for the pricing details as that tied to when the article was published.

In general Ford have made decent quality vehicles for a while. The explorer isnt stellar, but its OK, as good as the usual suspects in that category.

SUVs arent my thing, they are thirsty with ponderous handling due to the sheer weight of the things, but the roll over thing with the Explorer was always a tire related issue, and predated the 2003 models, so I wouldnt worry on that front.

There was a previous gen explorer in the car pool at a place I worked. It was nearly always the last thing left, just horrible to drive. Even the windstar minivan would be taken before that particular explorer. I understand the next gen was much nicer, so take a test drive before committing!

Insurance cost here is way more to do with the driver than the vehicle in my experience, although domestics may be cheaper as the cost of repair is generally lower (easier to get parts)

Last edited by iaink; Aug 4th 2010 at 1:41 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A point about the Explorer is that the space is distibuted oddly, the cargo area is relatively large while the back seat is slightly cramped. It would suit a family that favoured the dogs over the children, an English family, perhaps.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:11 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that Fords are far more reliable than they used to be...I drive one at work and I like it..

I guess it all depends on how much money you have to spend, what you want the vehicle for etc etc...

And yes...the old cliches are the best (even if they arent true...
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Great to know
lol
Stef

[/ QUOTE] Oh and by the way Stef, OH doesn't think you should have any unusual probs with what your looking for, he still can't think of anything that goes wrong on a regular basis with them.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A point about the Explorer is that the space is distibuted oddly, the cargo area is relatively large while the back seat is slightly cramped. It would suit a family that favoured the dogs over the children, an English family, perhaps.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi Gav
Lins is one of those guys, that if he does not like the look of a car...it does not get past first base....lol..... No I am aware of the snow LaSalle gets and that is not the reason. I want a car with a higher driving position and 7 seats.....hence the questions about the Exploroer...Lins seems to like the look of it. We hired a Dodge Nitro on one visit ...well it was upgraded to a Dodge Nitro when they did not have the one we ordered...I though it was nice enough from a drive and comfort viewpoint. He hated the shape of it...likened it to driving a Box.
Only 3 weeks on Tuesday until we fly....god the butterflies are really kicking in and Liam is constantly saying he does not want to go!!! Stress is unbelievable!
Hope all is well with you
lol
Stef
Wow Stef your nearly there!!! The butterflies will settle and you know Liam will love it once he gets here. I know nothing about cars I'm afraid which is probably why I drive a PT Cruiser lol!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks....A PT Cruiser....wow...where will you put all your shopping lol?
Hope you are settling in well
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by Northernlass1
Wow Stef your nearly there!!! The butterflies will settle and you know Liam will love it once he gets here. I know nothing about cars I'm afraid which is probably why I drive a PT Cruiser lol!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In the back
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Northernlass1
I love PT Cruisers!
Hope you are settling in well
lol
Stef
They are a strangley spacious car. Comfortable enough for longer journeys - we drove ours down to Montana, good fuel economy and great in the snow - this is why we are looking for another one. My big concern when we were looking initially was space for the dog, OH brought one home and we tested for dog space - plenty of room, for dog and even some luggage if necessary, unlike the TJ Jeep we have just bought, which is useless for the dog and will be being sold very soon and the hunt will continue for the next PT Cruiser, I would seriously recommend one.

We have finally gone from the mindframe that we need something with 7 seats for when rellies come to visit, we now hire something big for the weekend or whatever and if we have a spare (we usually do) car then the rellies can borrow that. We do still like the feeling of security we get from having at least one 4x4 in the winter for those longer journeys and I think we always will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.