Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ford Explorer XLT

Ford Explorer XLT

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ford Explorer XLT

I have a 2000 Explorer, 4 litre V6. It is pretty thirsty but is stable enough I think. I have had it 2 years now and have had no significant issues with it. One front hub seized up, but I got another in CT for $200 and swapped it in a couple of hours. They are sealed so you can't just replace the bearings, but that makes it a bolt on operation and was simple enough. I did bend the prongs on the ABS sensor which I have yet to repair.
The water pump weeps, but it is plastic and is a witch to get at so it will continue to weep a while yet, and the battery died this winter so we had to replace that.
The car has been fine. People say these things about Ford because they can't come up with sayings for Toyotas...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:52 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted an Explorer, but couldn't find one I liked ( was looking for a 7 seat config), so ended up getting a Ford Freestyle AWD instead. It has been ok, though has had some of the problems other owners have reported with it being one of the first ones produced. It has since been renamed Taurus X. The economy is significantly better than a similar age Explorer, so I'm happy about that and I think the 7 seats are more useable than in the Explorer, which also fold into a flat loading space when not required.

If you're concerned about requiring AWD/4WD, I wouldn't get too hung up on it, since the amount of snow we get here barely makes it worthwhile....

Also, the Ford dealers in Windsor are shonky - I use Lally Southpoint Ford in Leamington who I bought the car from, they have been pretty good so far...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. We bank with TD, so will ask them to quote too
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by transatlantic
TD Insurance seem to give you a sensible quote online... one of the few places I could find that were not astronomical! Plus when I bought the insurance they reduced the premium by $200 'after reviewing your details'
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gav
Lins is one of those guys, that if he does not like the look of a car...it does not get past first base....lol..... No I am aware of the snow LaSalle gets and that is not the reason. I want a car with a higher driving position and 7 seats.....hence the questions about the Exploroer...Lins seems to like the look of it. We hired a Dodge Nitro on one visit ...well it was upgraded to a Dodge Nitro when they did not have the one we ordered...I though it was nice enough from a drive and comfort viewpoint. He hated the shape of it...likened it to driving a Box.
Only 3 weeks on Tuesday until we fly....god the butterflies are really kicking in and Liam is constantly saying he does not want to go!!! Stress is unbelievable!
Hope all is well with you
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by G77
I wanted an Explorer, but couldn't find one I liked ( was looking for a 7 seat config), so ended up getting a Ford Freestyle AWD instead. It has been ok, though has had some of the problems other owners have reported with it being one of the first ones produced. It has since been renamed Taurus X. The economy is significantly better than a similar age Explorer, so I'm happy about that and I think the 7 seats are more useable than in the Explorer, which also fold into a flat loading space when not required.

If you're concerned about requiring AWD/4WD, I wouldn't get too hung up on it, since the amount of snow we get here barely makes it worthwhile....

Also, the Ford dealers in Windsor are shonky - I use Lally Southpoint Ford in Leamington who I bought the car from, they have been pretty good so far...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Whats Shonky???? Me not heard that one before
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by G77

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for this info
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by bobthedog
I have a 2000 Explorer, 4 litre V6. It is pretty thirsty but is stable enough I think. I have had it 2 years now and have had no significant issues with it. One front hub seized up, but I got another in CT for $200 and swapped it in a couple of hours. They are sealed so you can't just replace the bearings, but that makes it a bolt on operation and was simple enough. I did bend the prongs on the ABS sensor which I have yet to repair.
The water pump weeps, but it is plastic and is a witch to get at so it will continue to weep a while yet, and the battery died this winter so we had to replace that.
The car has been fine. People say these things about Ford because they can't come up with sayings for Toyotas...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:12 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi Gav
Lins is one of those guys, that if he does not like the look of a car...it does not get past first base....lol..... No I am aware of the snow LaSalle gets and that is not the reason. I want a car with a higher driving position and 7 seats.....hence the questions about the Exploroer...Lins seems to like the look of it.
Really hard to find a 7 seat explorer - as I said, that's what I wanted, but couldn't find one, so had to compromise on the Freestyle, which is a bit lower down than an explorer, but has the 7 seats.

I only had a hire car for 2 weeks, so had to get something sorted...

Dunno if you've seen this site - http://www.stricklandautosales.com/ They have some good deals and the guy seems pretty genuine, I rang up to enquire if a particular car was still available and he told me right over the phone that it was but it had previously had an accident. Can't argue with that, normally they'd wait until you got down there and asked to see the Car Fax (or whatever it's called here, I forget if it's the same) before revealing that...

Hi
Whats Shonky???? Me not heard that one before
lol
Stef
Shonky - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shonky

In short, I wouldn't trust either of the Windsor Ford dealers as far as you can throw them....

Last edited by G77; Aug 2nd 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

During my era of being contractually obliged to provide "an SUV type vehicle with leather seats not more than three years old", I leased an Explorer (with the exploding tyres, they didn't) and umpteen Escapes. Nothing went wrong with any of them. The four wheel drive went unused, I can't recall ever using four wheel drive on a road and hardly ever need it when driving across snowy fields.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:28 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
During my era of being contractually obliged to provide "an SUV type vehicle with leather seats not more than three years old", I leased an Explorer (with the exploding tyres, they didn't) and umpteen Escapes. Nothing went wrong with any of them. The four wheel drive went unused, I can't recall ever using four wheel drive on a road and hardly ever need it when driving across snowy fields.
Is the 4WD still switchable on the newer Explorer's? I don't recall seeing any controls for it when I was looking at them.... I suspect it's probably auto-magic these days like on my Freestyle?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I know there is a thread on SUVs but I would like some honest feedback on one in particular. The Ford Explorer XLT, probably looking at a 2003. I would like to know if anyone has one, and any thing good or bad which we should be aware of. Also what sort of cost insurance would be with letters to prove max no claims from UK insurers.

Any feedback would be great
lol
Stef
OH is a Ford mechanic, I just asked him `Someone on here is looking at a 2003 Explorer XLT, is there anything she needs to know` He asked how many miles, How much and is it 4x4 as an XLT might not be. He couldn`t think of anything off hand to look out for though.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Thanks for this, we don't have a specific one in our sights, but it would be around a 2003 XLT 7 seater....that appears to be the direction we are heading in. We want an AWD or 4WD around 100000km or thereabouts. Thanks for asking him.
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OH is a Ford mechanic, I just asked him `Someone on here is looking at a 2003 Explorer XLT, is there anything she needs to know` He asked how many miles, How much and is it 4x4 as an XLT might not be. He couldn`t think of anything off hand to look out for though.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Is the 4WD still switchable on the newer Explorer's? I don't recall seeing any controls for it when I was looking at them.... I suspect it's probably auto-magic these days like on my Freestyle?
That I don't know, no Fords at the moment. It's switchable in the 4x4 I now use.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blue monday
The anagram I have always known in the uk is Fix Or repair Daily.

As for the Escape XLT, it looks really nice but the downside for me (besides it being a Ford) is it not a 'proper' 4 x 4 in the way an Explorer is or a landrover is (as it has an electronic transfer system and it runs as FWD untill it senses slip then it moves power to the back) but unless you intend to go off road that wont be much of an issue i guess.
Stoopid me

I just realised the thread clearly states Explorer not escape so most of my post was irrelevant.!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Stoopid me

I just realised the thread clearly states Explorer not escape so most of my post was irrelevant.!
Still a Ford though. I have one Ford, never buy another, everything that goes wrong is just out of warranty. The tranny went at 120,000km and cost me just shy of $4k. My other vehicles have not cost me a quarter as much as the Ford.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

No worries
lol
Stef
Stoopid me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.