Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Foolproof recipe for Yorkshire puddings.

Foolproof recipe for Yorkshire puddings.

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foolproof recipe for Yorkshire puddings.

I would be grateful if somebody could give me a recipe for Yorkshire puddings that work in Vancouver. Since arriving here 6 months ago I have as yet not been able to produce my usual large well risen Yorkshire puddings as in the UK. I have used Robinhood all purpose flour - could this be the problem. If so can somebody suggest a good brand of flour.

many thanks
Ruby.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Foolproof recipe for Yorkshire puddings.

I've found nothing works here in Alberta like the Yorkshire pudding packet mix you can buy - think it's made by Club House or someone similar. It's a bit like cheating but they rise a treat....even here in the altitude of the foothills!
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

I put two eggs in instead of one and they rise (with the normal recipe of 300ml of milk and 100g of all purpose flour - and I use Robin Hood). It has taken time and lots of experimenting though!!
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:42 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm the same as snoopster and use the clubhouse mix
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

I use my friend Kansas's recipe from her blog....works everytime...I don't always heat the oil as high as she does as it sets off the smoke alarm!
http://kansasa.blogspot.com/search/l...max-results=20
just scroll down to find the recipe
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:45 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9...shire-puddings

Lots of eggs and get that oil sizzling!
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We cheat,
The canadian superstore, imports frozen, ready made ones from the UK.
But for some strange reason, they are in the dessert section...
Cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; May 2nd 2010 at 9:06 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody - I will try out the recipes suggested.

Ruby
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

My recipe involves a cup of white bread flour (it has more gluten so helps the rising), a cup of milk, a cup of water, 1 cup of eggs (about 5 large ones I have found) and some salt.

Whisk well, let stand for half an hour or so. Heat fat in a tin till smoking hot and pour in the batter

Cook at a high heat (at least 200C, 22O if everything else will cope with that oven temp) until golden brown and puffy.

I have found that the above makes 12 muffin tin sized ones.... just half fill the individual sections with the batter.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the same thing about a year ago. Search 'Yorkshire Puddings' and you can find the discussion.
But I now make perfect Yorkshires after all their help!
I use 1 cup of any brand all-purpose flour, 4 eggs and 2 cups of milk and they are just like I used to make in the UK!
Someone on here gave me the recipe!

Last edited by charlottyb; May 2nd 2010 at 11:03 pm. Reason: missed a word!
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:58 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I am going to have to save this thread - I can get by without wine or cheese, bacon or even chocolate - the usual food suspects on BE, but problems with yorkshires - this is really worrying

Bali
native of Yorkshire
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Oh, I am going to have to save this thread - I can get by without wine or cheese, bacon or even chocolate - the usual food suspects on BE, but problems with yorkshires - this is really worrying

Bali
native of Yorkshire
Hmmm! I know sunday lunch without homemade Yorkshire puddings is not Sunday lunch.

Ruby.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Messiah Khan is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the trick to good yorkies is to make sure you get the oil really hot in the tin, then poor in the mixture as fast as possible and get the tin back in the oven. I tend to leave the oil heating in the pan a good 10mins before adding the mixture. Doing this really seems to help them rise.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Hi Ruby,

My Yorkshire puddings weren't all that great up until about 4 months ago when I accidentally used whole milk instead of 1%. I couldn't believe the difference that made.

Also make sure you use lard - crisco white vegetable shortening does work as well, the fat is really important and needs to be super hot (10 mins in the oven). The ones without hydrogenated fat unfortunately don't cut it.

I just use regular old Delia Smith recipe - 3oz plain flour (yes Robin Hood All Purpose is what to use) 3floz milk, 2floz water, one egg and some salt & pepper (link attached, not sure you might have to cut & paste).

The two egg thing might also work as eggs are smaller here than in the UK. An egg for this should weigh in at about 2oz, that could be another problem.

Good luck!
Helen

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...e-pudding.html

P.S. this gives about 6 decent sized puddings, increase quantities as required

Last edited by HPJOS; May 4th 2010 at 1:51 pm. Reason: Update