Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Hey Mrsdv

Have you had a chance to go to the Calgary Farmer's Market yet....?

There is usually a pretty good fish stall there and you can get Alberta reared Bison...strongly recommended - almost like beef but no fat!

I also buy organic beef there and it is waaay cheaper than in the supermarkets...

Oh and there is a fantastic ice cream shop!!!
Lisa
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepee
Hey Mrsdv

Have you had a chance to go to the Calgary Farmer's Market yet....?

There is usually a pretty good fish stall there and you can get Alberta reared Bison...strongly recommended - almost like beef but no fat!

I also buy organic beef there and it is waaay cheaper than in the supermarkets...

Oh and there is a fantastic ice cream shop!!!
Lisa
Yes, I do like the farmers market and we have tried the bison too but I have to say when I've been the fish hasn't looked that great. Haven't tried the ice cream shop yet though, will try that next visit. Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:39 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's right next door to the Bon Ton Meat Market which you might also like to take a look around.
steve - i know that you told us about suet, bout some but can i say its strange ....ok how do you make suet pastry from that, i know that it says that its pre-mixed, like a flour bag, but tried a few ways and all i get is pure fat...help
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Now that I've kind of got used to some ingrediants (I'm certainly no cook / chef) and only have me to cook for so less appealing, I'm finding things just fine here.

In the UK, supermarkets were just massive, and here in Van, I live near an IGA which has great fresh fruit and veg, and also a great meat and fish counter. I buy steaks foro $2 (the thin fast fry ones), and all the meat looks great and is a great price. I'm not a massive fish eater but if I was I'd say there was lots to choose from.

I find it funny there are so many varieties of things like Milk and fizzy drinks etc.

There is Granville Island market here in Van, which is totally great. If someone can point out a cheaper market like it, I'd love to hear about it.

UK was more about fast foods, where as here, I am more inclined to cook fresh meat / chicken.

Bx
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:26 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moondevil
steve - i know that you told us about suet, bought some but can i say its strange ....ok how do you make suet pastry from that, i know that it says that its pre-mixed, like a flour bag, but tried a few ways and all i get is pure fat...help
Sorry can't help, suet is not something that we would ever have in our house.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:29 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Sorry can't help, suet is not something that we would ever have in our house.
Thanks steve, will go back and speak to the guy at safeway, he was a sweetie and helped me find the bags, but not like the suet im used to, so need to learn a new way with that one or get used to living with out steak puds
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:43 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

I found when we came to Canada 3 years ago, we found that we couldnt find all the food we had been used to buying in the UK...ready made this, pre packed that, from every corner of the world...we missed the choice (a bit, ) I missed the convenance (alot)BUT three years down the line...20 pounds lighter and no more need for Heartburn meds in the cupboard I think that its not just takeouts...but all that choice in the UK, isnt the best for your health.....I know it wasnt good for my waist line.......I have to be a bit more creative here , but I dont miss the UK Tescos shop anymore
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks steve, will go back and speak to the guy at safeway, he was a sweetie and helped me find the bags, but not like the suet im used to, so need to learn a new way with that one or get used to living with out steak puds
Suet is pure fat. It's the fat that surrounds the kidneys. You can it shredded and coated with flour so it's easy to use, but its all fat.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:49 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Happydayz
I found when we came to Canada 3 years ago, we found that we couldnt find all the food we had been used to buying in the UK...ready made this, pre packed that, from every corner of the world...we missed the choice (a bit, ) I missed the convenance (alot)BUT three years down the line...20 pounds lighter and no more need for Heartburn meds in the cupboard I think that its not just takeouts...but all that choice in the UK, isnt the best for your health.....I know it wasnt good for my waist line.......I have to be a bit more creative here , but I dont miss the UK Tescos shop anymore
I rarely bought the prepackaged stuff in the UK, apart from the odd Waitrose prawn cocktails
Nothing to do with being creative, it's called cooking.

My experience is different to yours. Since being here, I am several pounds heavier, heartburn, IBS out of control. It's hard to buy decent fruit and vegetables in Peterborough, the bread is full of sugar, milk is crammed with chemicals. ...
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
we were in field bc two years ago.....went to the only shop in town and asked if they had any veg.....was told could possibly get some down the road in another shop.......that other shop was 40k's away.....lol.......oh! also the milk was two days out of date. when we pointed this out to the shop keeper he said, and i quote his only responce 'so you don't want it then'?.....ha ha ha
Field is hardly a bustling metropolis, so it's not a stretch to think that the choice would be limited there.
Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
In our two months here we've seen only one supermarket with a real choice of food, comparable to European ones. Highland Farms. But there are only three of them on GTA, and we live too far from the nearest one now and we don't have a car.

On average, any European supermarket (continental Europe is meant here - we've never been to UK) beats any North American, with most normal stuff you buy easily in Europe being tagged as "gourmet" here, with appropriate price tag. We could expect food cost more here, and edible food much more, because Canadian climate doesn't help to get food cheap, while in Europe you have Spain, Italy and all those new poor countries with mild climate and cheap workforce. But with lower taxes, cheap fuel, how can those prices be justified I have no idea.
That's because it's Canada, not Europe.
You grate the suet and toss it with some flour/shake off the excess flour to use. Like someone else said, it's pure fat. I used to just use Crisco and things worked out fine.

It never fails to amaze me that people move 1/2 way across the world and think that they will find things exactly like they had "back home". I hear it all the time here in Australia too.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:04 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

CREATIVE and COOKING go together ......In the UK I found I didnt have he Time to enjoy COOKING to busy trying to earn enough money to keep a roof over our heads i guess, still I rediscovered CREATIVE COOKING here in Canada...and as I say seems to have improved our heath....stay away from fast food over here may help with your many probs!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:17 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

stay away from fast food over here may help with your many probs!!!!
Fast food is the cause of most dysfunctions. Erectile dysfunction, relationship problems, retardation, diabetes, blood pressure, piles, etc.

Take a pill with your burger. That'll fix it.

R.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:19 am
Jenny & Tony

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Fast food is the cause of most dysfunctions. Erectile dysfunction, relationship problems, retardation, diabetes, blood pressure, piles, etc.

Take a pill with your burger. That'll fix it.

R.
.....what kinda pill
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It never fails to amaze me that people move 1/2 way across the world and think that they will find things exactly like they had "back home". I hear it all the time here in Australia too.
Not having a go at you, Dorothy, I'm just borrowing your phrase to highlight unfair criticisms posted elsewhere on these forums.

It never fails to amaze me that people move half way across the world and successfully adapt to new working practices, different climate, different pricing, different education systems, different attitudes, different governments, different legal systems, different driving practices etc etc and yet express a simple observation or regret about different products/something not available in shops and several posters suggest they should get used to differences in a different country as if they haven't done so already.

I think it was a perfectly legitimate question as to why such 'availability' differences exist between two countries of similar standing. And the answer was given.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 28th 2008 at 2:39 am.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:38 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

.....what kinda pill
A special Elvis pill.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.