Food Prices

Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:22 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default Food Prices

There have been a few posts recently about the price of food in Canada being expensive and being a reason why people are moving back to UK etc, which is pretty scary but, as some one who has never been to Canada I wonder how more expensive it really can be.

The food prices in the UK in recent months have increased quite dramatically and some, what you would call basics like rice, pasta, milk, cheese and so on have doubled.

I'm not sure what I am asking but I wonder whether people who have moved to Canada know that food prices in the UK 'ain't what they used to be'.

Please don't shoot me - I'm just wondering

Rubie

x
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food Prices

maybe someone in the UK could post a recent grocery receipt, then its easy to compare with the canadian one posted here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585751
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:28 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rubie
There have been a few posts recently about the price of food in Canada being expensive and being a reason why people are moving back to UK etc, which is pretty scary but, as some one who has never been to Canada I wonder how more expensive it really can be.

The food prices in the UK in recent months have increased quite dramatically and some, what you would call basics like rice, pasta, milk, cheese and so on have doubled.

I'm not sure what I am asking but I wonder whether people who have moved to Canada know that food prices in the UK 'ain't what they used to be'.

Please don't shoot me - I'm just wondering

Rubie

x
Here's a current flyer list. remember to check the exchange rate though.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/59474-r...9-15-a-canada/
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
maybe someone in the UK could post a recent grocery receipt, then its easy to compare with the canadian one posted here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585751
Here are some UK prices. Booze is definately a bargain:

http://www.fixtureferrets.co.uk/
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie
There have been a few posts recently about the price of food in Canada being expensive and being a reason why people are moving back to UK etc, which is pretty scary

Granted there has been recent debate/discussion on food prices, but I don't recall anyone moving back to the UK and citing more expensive food prices in Canada as the main reason? There are many reasons why someone might move back but surely not because they can't afford to eat here.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:48 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

personally I don't find the food prices too bad now, it was a bit of a shock at first but I've adjusted now and it all balances out as other things aren't so expensive.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:50 pm
AB Realtor

Stophie is on a distinguished road

Generally we find that it evens out. I mean there are lots of examples where things are more expensive here (like $1.29 being the very cheapest bread, compared to 45p, or $3.99 for 1.5kg bag of flour compared to 43p, and alcohol is certainly more here) but there are also lots of examples where things are cheaper here ($1.29 for 2L Pepsi compared to £1.53, $3.89 for 4L milk compared to about £3, apples 99c per lb compared to about 85p) Brain hurts now from all that working out
If you shop carefully you could spend less in Canada than you did in the UK. And by carefully I mean choosing where to buy which items, and not trying to live / eat exactly how you did in the UK (but then you wouldn't do that, otherwise why would you want to move? )
Finally, eating out is cheaper here, so if you factor that in, that helps too.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stophie
If you shop carefully you could spend less in Canada than you did in the UK. And by carefully I mean choosing where to buy which items, ...
Exactly right. Every week it seems like every supermarket is selling several items for half or two-thirds price. Nice to see a few more people beginning to notice this. There's a whole bunch of things I've never had to pay full price for...to the extent that, for me, the reduced price has become the normal price.

I've looked at Sainsburys online prices recently and, to be fair, they have had one or two equivalent bargains whereas it was only ever "was £1.99, now £1.89."

But nothing like the number of reductions regularly seen here.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:30 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Best deals I've found are the Sobey's Dollar Days
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:59 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

After being here awhile now and going through the difference of stuff when you arrive, i have to admit that our shopping has gone way down for the family

OK i make more of our meals here, but we get luxury of eating out more as well, something that i found way to expensive in the uk
For our family the shopping bill has halfed, i would say we eat different, havent lowered my standards, in fact they are better here than what they was in the uk.......

We make our bread, wow what a fortune you save as well, plus just looking at flyers can give you some great ideas for meals

Hope that helps
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stophie
Generally we find that it evens out. I mean there are lots of examples where things are more expensive here (like $1.29 being the very cheapest bread, compared to 45p, or $3.99 for 1.5kg bag of flour compared to 43p, and alcohol is certainly more here) but there are also lots of examples where things are cheaper here ($1.29 for 2L Pepsi compared to £1.53, $3.89 for 4L milk compared to about £3, apples 99c per lb compared to about 85p) Brain hurts now from all that working out
If you shop carefully you could spend less in Canada than you did in the UK. And by carefully I mean choosing where to buy which items, and not trying to live / eat exactly how you did in the UK (but then you wouldn't do that, otherwise why would you want to move? )
Finally, eating out is cheaper here, so if you factor that in, that helps too.
I've just paid $7.99 for 10kg of flour - on promotion from $9.99
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:54 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
I've just paid $7.99 for 10kg of flour - on promotion from $9.99
We pay $11 for 20kg
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
We pay $11 for 20kg
Even better
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:25 pm
AB Realtor

Stophie is on a distinguished road

That's great
I have no idea what I would do with that much flour, but, good for you!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:28 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

In reply to Iaink,
I have just done an online shop with Tesco, following your receipt.. as best as I could anyway.

Total comes to £109.64.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.