Food Prices

Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Re: Food Prices

Originally Posted by Rubie
There have been a few posts recently about the price of food in Canada being expensive and being a reason why people are moving back to UK etc, which is pretty scary
I don't believe for a second anyone has actually moved home because of their grocery bill here. That has to be BS. We've tested this to death and always agree it's about the same to 'slightly' more expensive overall here compared to home. If anyone cites that as their reason for leaving canada they're lie-ing or crazy.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stophie
That's great
I have no idea what I would do with that much flour, but, good for you!
Used for carrot cake, muffins, apple pies and lots of other goodies
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:33 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Used for carrot cake, muffins, apple pies and lots of other goodies
Cookies by the load full, fruit bread, proper english buns
apple crumble, different pies (so my kids can have pie and peas ) many other things that have flour in inc sauces

Remember that sauces here are ok, but homemade are better, we have the sack in the basement and fill a sealed tub up as and when we need it, we go through it no probs
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:37 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt that if you go into one shop and one shop alone to do your shopping and buy whatever, regardless of whether it is on offer or not, then it will be slightly more expensive than the UK....

Shop smart and follow BristolUK's flyer mantra and it'll be cheaper for sure...
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:34 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moondevil
We pay $11 for 20kg
Girl next door just found weavils in her flour - from keeping it too long. It was in a plastic container too!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:05 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by seaham gal
Girl next door just found weavils in her flour - from keeping it too long. It was in a plastic container too!
Weavils are from a bad batch of flour, tell her to take it back to the supplier or contact the maker of the flour.
Weavils are when the eggs are too small to be crushed in the process and pass through, not because it has been stored too long, as long as they are storing it right it will be alright..............

O yeah hubby works in flour mill
He has seen the weavils and they walk like they have had too many on a friday night - he says
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:55 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think overall it'spretty much the same. Every time i do a shop i buy what is on sale rather than getting stuck on a certain brand item. I've never paid full price for loo paper for example- there is always one brand reduced.

name brand can also be a good choice for most items.

Beer is definitely more - i'm not a big drinker but i think a case of 24 beers is around 40 bucks?? (in bc).

I always found wine and cheese to be outrageous.

Overall cost of living is cheaper here - depending on where you coming from and going to.

Cheers
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
In reply to Iaink,
I have just done an online shop with Tesco, following your receipt.. as best as I could anyway.

Total comes to £109.64.
=$193 at todays spot rate, so really not a lot in it. Canada 10% cheaper, but the exchange rate fluctuation could easily make more than that difference.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

4L of milk for less than $4, you're lucky, here in NS 4L of milk is about $7.50

Originally Posted by Stophie
Generally we find that it evens out. I mean there are lots of examples where things are more expensive here (like $1.29 being the very cheapest bread, compared to 45p, or $3.99 for 1.5kg bag of flour compared to 43p, and alcohol is certainly more here) but there are also lots of examples where things are cheaper here ($1.29 for 2L Pepsi compared to £1.53, $3.89 for 4L milk compared to about £3, apples 99c per lb compared to about 85p) Brain hurts now from all that working out
If you shop carefully you could spend less in Canada than you did in the UK. And by carefully I mean choosing where to buy which items, and not trying to live / eat exactly how you did in the UK (but then you wouldn't do that, otherwise why would you want to move? )
Finally, eating out is cheaper here, so if you factor that in, that helps too.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:58 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
4L of milk for less than $4, you're lucky, here in NS 4L of milk is about $7.50
Ouch. Hopefully you have other things that are cheaper than here. Yesterday I paid $3.69 for 4 litres at Safeway.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:05 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm gonna have a look at that Canadian food receipt later when I have more time. Thanks for pointing me to that. It appears that the price of food is not as scary as one would believe reading some posts.

Just to clear up a bit of confusion - I didn't mean to give the impression that that food prices were 'the' reason people were moving back but 'a' reason. Whether that is reason enough for them or just an excuse - who knows? I was just wondering.

Rubie
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice

Heh, you guys buy way too much flour. I'm trying to think of a time when I would need flour.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I used to convert everything back to pounds when I first got here 1 year ago, but I am not paid in pounds, so that's pointless.

You have to remember that when you are paid in $$$ you have to treat the $ like you would treat your pound, and shop for the best deal for that $.

So doing a like for like comparison in UK/Canada shopping and doing a currency conversion, is not realistic.

Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes your not, I have found though, that the wages are generally more here and that offsets the higher grocery bill and some.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

I find that the wages are generally a lot lower here, which is what makes the grocery shopping seem so expensive. Wish we could get milk for under $7 . The worst thing is meat, it's SO expensive!! We don't have chicken as much as we used to!!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:13 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
I find that the wages are generally a lot lower here, which is what makes the grocery shopping seem so expensive. Wish we could get milk for under $7 . The worst thing is meat, it's SO expensive!! We don't have chicken as much as we used to!!
which foods are cheaper in Canada?
Why are milk and meat so expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.