Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food Costs Poll

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What is your guess as to your average food bill per week for a family of 4?
Less than $100
0%
Between $100 - $150
8.33%
Between $150 - $200
54.17%
Between $200 - $250
29.17%
More than $250
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Food Costs Poll

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Food Costs Poll

"Bearver tails!? KD!? My education begins here! Please tell me more"

Just joking, Beaver Tails are a strange batter type thing they deep fry and dip in sugar/lemon/cinamon/chocolate etc bit like a pancake I guess but deep fried. They sell them in winter at outside skating and some malls, synomonous with Ottawa skating on the Rideau Canal in -40 :scared:

KD (Kraft Dinner)is a Canadian national dish (packet macaroni cheese) that all Canadians were brought up on, bit like our beans on toast in popularity.

Last edited by brit_in_fizroy; Jun 2nd 2005 at 8:06 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:57 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Lamb's pretty expensive here in Montreal too... but what's not is veal (compared to UK that is)... excellent, and the supermarket's do trio minces, with beef, pork and veal... much better in any dish requiring mince than just using one type of meat alone!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy

Just joking, Beaver Tails are a strange batter type thing they deep fry and dip in sugar/lemon/cinamon/chocolate etc bit like a pancake I guess but deep fried. They sell them in winter at outside skating and some malls, synomonous with Ottawa skating on the Rideau Canal in -40 :scared:

KD is a Canadian national dish (packet macaroni cheese) that all Canadians were brought up on, bit like our beans on toast in popularity.

If you're ever in the KW area, try some "pigtails", a true delicacy of the area - and absolutely delicious!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:08 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
If you're ever in the KW area, try some "pigtails", a true delicacy of the area - and absolutely delicious!
or poutine if you're in quebec... a real "delicacy"!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Looking at the poll, I'm going home to beat the wife, I think she is keeping something from me
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Looking at the poll, I'm going home to beat the wife, I think she is keeping something from me
My goodness, you are quite the gentleman!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:23 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

KD (Kraft Dinner)is a Canadian national dish (packet macaroni cheese) that all Canadians were brought up on, bit like our beans on toast in popularity.
Just some regional info, 'beaver tails' on the west coast are called 'whale tails' which makes sense and they're also called 'elephant ears' which doesn't make sense.

Beans are a popular kids, student and camping food in Canada only it's more common to eat them not on toast but in a bowl with toast or some other type of bread (dunking the toast or bun into the bowl to soak up the sauce). In the 'deluxe version' or 'payday version' slices of fried up tube-steaks (reg or veggie weiners) are added giving you 'weiners and beans' or 'beaners and weins'.

I could go into the variations of KD but I don't want to make myself sick. It's weird though since coming to Britain and learning that KD is very hard to come by here, I have actually craved it a couple of times .

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Jun 2nd 2005 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Seen many many variations about food costs per week from $100 - $400 and of course it depends on how you eat, where you buy, and how many. Is the poll system any use to get some kind of average from those in Canada?

Using 2 adults and 2 children as a base....
I voted for 'Between $150 - $200' - but that's a bit of a guess! I've only lived on my own or with a partner.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:23 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey! Do you guys live on KD? There's only three of us and we spend $300 a week, easy, not including booze.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:42 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Blimey! Do you guys live on KD? There's only three of us and we spend $300 a week, easy, not including booze.
If I had the money I could (maybe just) spend $300 a week on prime cuts of meat and lots of preprepared stuff, but as I'd rather spend it on other stuff the three of us get by on about $100-130 a week shopping at "No Frills" just fine. Its one of those how long is a piece of string questions anyway. I figure by the time there are four of us somewhere between $150 and $200 is a realistic budget.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

OK I went home and confronted the wife re the poll results. I was put in my place very quickly, 2 kids in their early 20s and a boyfriend who doesn't go home very often, can put away a fair amount of food. So, definately 200-300 would be realistic for the larger family. Of to the hospital now for some stitches
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:20 am

I think it's time for a review of our grocery shopping! We're not living on fillet steak and smoked salmon, so we must be doing something wrong.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Hey... KD's actually pretty pricey .

Honestly, I guess being a vegetarian factors into my estimate. And I buy in bulk; big 25 lb sacks of rice, lentils, etc. from Chinatown and cheap bags of veggies right from the local farms (more out of convience than being a tightwad). Plus I get free salmon and halibut and whatever my dad's growing in his greenhouse from the family (when I eat it) and there's plenty of free food in the wild. If I factored booze into the equation, well .
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Hey... KD's actually pretty pricey .

Honestly, I guess being a vegetarian factors into my estimate. And I buy in bulk; big 25 lb sacks of rice, lentils, etc. from Chinatown and cheap bags of veggies right from the local farms (more out of convience than being a tightwad). Plus I get free salmon and halibut and whatever my dad's growing in his greenhouse from the family (when I eat it) and there's plenty of free food in the wild. If I factored booze into the equation, well .
My teen puts V8 in his KD (we need a vomiting smiley).

We ran out once, so he used clamato instead (cue projectile vomiting smiley).
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:15 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have a budget of $450 to spend on food. It's pretty difficult to spend all of that... but then there's only me and the two cats. But then I do stock up on meat which I freeze at costco. Currently I have 20 portions of salmon to eat :scared:

Lucky that I like salmon eh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.