Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food Costs Poll

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What is your guess as to your average food bill per week for a family of 4?
Less than $100
0%
Between $100 - $150
8.33%
Between $150 - $200
54.17%
Between $200 - $250
29.17%
More than $250
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Food Costs Poll

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Food Costs Poll

Seen many many variations about food costs per week from $100 - $400 and of course it depends on how you eat, where you buy, and how many. Is the poll system any use to get some kind of average from those in Canada?

Using 2 adults and 2 children as a base....
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Food Costs Poll

It really does depend on how you eat, but if you take it that it is cheaper than or same as UK, surely this does not become a subject to worry about. But saying that, if you try to eat the same things you do in UK then you might find the price goes up a bit - Turkey is not the cheapest meat here, forget lamb, make sure you have a decent bacon sarney before you leave, it will be your last. Veg is more seasonal with more imports because of the massive seasonal weather change. All that said, we do 200-300 a week, that's 2 + 2 adult children. HTH
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy
forget lamb, make sure you have a decent bacon sarney before you leave, it will be your last

Lamb is readily available here and cheaper than beef so I'm not sure why you say "forget lamb". In the winter we usually go to the market (St. Lawrence) early on Saturday morning We get peameal bacon sandwiches to eat while we wander around the butchers so, again, I don't know why you suggest there's a bacon problem. We spend about $300/week for two people not counting eating out, which we do a couple of times a week. According to my exe's financial statement it costs about $1,000/month to feed two people in Mississauga, again not counting alcohol or eating out.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:16 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

like BIF said, really is a personal thing.
Our weekly bill for two adults and a 2yo is about $100 - 150 (and that is purely food and household stuff)... we're not too extravagent with things but we eat pretty well. Meat comes in large packages which we divide and freeze up, veg is seasonal, and you buy what looks good usually.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Smile Re: Food Costs Poll

Originally Posted by ksct97
Our weekly bill for two adults and a 2yo is about $100 - 150 (and that is purely food and household stuff)... we're not too extravagent with things but we eat pretty well. Meat comes in large packages which we divide and freeze up, veg is seasonal, and you buy what looks good usually.
Yes its all very personal but I am hoping a Poll of combined thoughts will give a better average.

For anyone Voting many thanks. This is my first Poll and I suppose I should be excited...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Come on dbd33, how long have you been here, peameal is nothing like english bacon, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Okay you can buy lamb, but we haven't had much luck getting a good cut, I think they must see us coming and pass on some old mutton, we don't bother any more. Beef is good and probably cheaper than UK, pork too. Chickens are smaller but okay. You've got me going now. Sausages are a tough one, basic suasages are obtainable as breakfast sausages but you'll need to find a good butcher to get those big old bangers. The concept of meat pies is very limited here, you'll have to make your own for something that tastes good - ask for a steak and kidney and you'll get some funny stares unless there's a brit in the store. I think that's about it, everything else is pretty much available. You'll get used to the difference in the chocolate, all the cereals are here.

But, all this said, there's tons of new stuff to try, beaver tails and KD Only really miss english mustard and bacon, even found haggis last week from a local butcher, it was great. (and I'm not scottish (much))
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Is almost like its a foreign country or something
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:34 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lamb is readily available here and cheaper than beef so I'm not sure why you say "forget lamb". In the winter we usually go to the market (St. Lawrence) early on Saturday morning We get peameal bacon sandwiches to eat while we wander around the butchers so, again, I don't know why you suggest there's a bacon problem.
I have to agree with BIF

Lamb is much more expensive in Alberta than beef and the chops are tiny and mostly bone.

Bacon here is streaky with the fat to meat ration being about 3:1.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
I have to agree with BIF

Lamb is much more expensive in Alberta than beef and the chops are tiny and mostly bone.

Bacon here is streaky with the fat to meat ration being about 3:1.
I take it that none of the bacon moaners have figured out how to cook canadian streaky bacon properly yet then? Stick it in the oven fairly low temp on a grilling pan so the fat can run off and you end up with the best crispy bacon going after about 20 minutes. Ideal for butties, or to go with french toast and maple syrup. Smoked bacon is a bit of a rarity though, but when in rome... Besides, compare the cost of bacon in canada vs the UK...its insanely expensive in the motherland. At least I can afford more than two bits of bacon in a butty here!

Last edited by iaink; Jun 2nd 2005 at 6:39 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:46 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I take it that none of the bacon moaners have figured out how to cook canadian streaky bacon properly yet then? Stick it in the oven fairly low temp on a grilling pan so the fat can run off and you end up with the best crispy bacon going after about 20 minutes. Ideal for butties, or to go with french toast and maple syrup. Smoked bacon is a bit of a rarity though, but when in rome... Besides, compare the cost of bacon in canada vs the UK...its insanely expensive in the motherland. At least I can afford more than two bits of bacon in a butty here!
Nah, I'll just give it a miss. Save my cholesterol level.

I like my bacon cooked, not burnt.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:17 am
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

Same as you really. It all comes down to how you live really.

Originally Posted by ksct97
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy

But, all this said, there's tons of new stuff to try, beaver tails and KD Only really miss english mustard and bacon, even found haggis last week from a local butcher, it was great. (and I'm not scottish (much))
Bearver tails!? KD!? My education begins here! Please tell me more.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

A lot of this is immaterial anyway, your gonna change your diet - as previously mentioned "when in Rome" but I can't help missing the bacon. We eat more pasta and rice now and less potatoes, mix in with the locals and see what they eat, then make them a steak and kidney pie Canadian Christmas fare can be interesting, normal turkey and stuff but it's not unusual to see lasagna and if you go to one those church/community centre dinner things, you end up with salad, beef, pasta, spuds and gravy all on the same plate

Your'e gonna change, you hafta change "eh!" join the good life
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Iginla
Nah, I'll just give it a miss. Save my cholesterol level.

I like my bacon cooked, not burnt.
Then buy peameal, its like the good bit of back bacon, without the streaky tail piece.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iaink
Then buy peameal, its like the good bit of back bacon, without the streaky tail piece.

It's delicious - and don't buy the junk you can find in the grocery store! Go to a farmers market in the area and buy it fresh from the farmer! It also freezes very well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.