Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

food colourings

food colourings

Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:20 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 112
gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default food colourings

Hi, something else that we thought was sorted, until the removal rep put a spanner in the works. My wife is a very keen and able cake maker/decorator and as such has all the gear to go with said hobby. After a bit of research, we see we can purchase in Canada the various food colourings to go with cake decorating. Is it then ok, to bring in the stock my wife already has? Do we put it in the container or can we bring it in with us on the 'plane? They are Spectral paste concentrate to colour icing, marzipan etc., food paints and edible metallic lustres. Needless to say, that if she had to scrap all that she has, it is going to cost a small fortune to replace them when in Canada.
Thank you for any help that you good people could offer us.

Last edited by gorleen; Feb 20th 2014 at 12:21 pm. Reason: word change
gorleen is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:39 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,348
Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: food colourings

I'm not sure why you couldn't bring them in your case. Mine is generally full of food when we come back from the UK No idea about the container though.
Dashie is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:37 pm
  #3  
Magnificently Withering
 
Oakvillian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 6,834
Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: food colourings

I would suggest you politely invite your removal rep to insert the spanner somewhere else.

There's a list of permitted food colouring agents here http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/lab.../1348150959157 but I really can't see that there would be a big fuss made over a box of home cake decorating supplies in your container. My OH, also a keen baker, packed hers with no difficulty (mind you, our shippers were a bit more lackadaisical about what they'd pack - we brought the entire contents of a drinks cabinet, half-empty bottles of obscure liqueurs and all...). However, that was several years ago now and I suppose the situation might have changed since. Equally, if your shippers won't change their minds, I don't see why you can't pack the stuff in your suitcase.

There are plenty of suppliers in Canada if it turns out to be not worth the hassle. www.goldaskitchen.com stocks gel and paste colours, lustredust, etc, and a whole load of other goodies. The web store might give you an idea of potential re-stocking costs.
Oakvillian is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:43 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 25
RyanD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: food colourings

I don't see why there has to be a problem with food colouring. I would have it all in my container.
RyanD is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:44 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 112
gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default Re: food colourings

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
I would suggest you politely invite your removal rep to insert the spanner somewhere else.

There's a list of permitted food colouring agents here http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/lab.../1348150959157 but I really can't see that there would be a big fuss made over a box of home cake decorating supplies in your container. My OH, also a keen baker, packed hers with no difficulty (mind you, our shippers were a bit more lackadaisical about what they'd pack - we brought the entire contents of a drinks cabinet, half-empty bottles of obscure liqueurs and all...). However, that was several years ago now and I suppose the situation might have changed since. Equally, if your shippers won't change their minds, I don't see why you can't pack the stuff in your suitcase.

There are plenty of suppliers in Canada if it turns out to be not worth the hassle. www.goldaskitchen.com stocks gel and paste colours, lustredust, etc, and a whole load of other goodies. The web store might give you an idea of potential re-stocking costs.
Thank you so very much for that, excellent. I shall let my removal people know. My wife is very pleased.
gorleen is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:42 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 112
gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default Re: food colourings

Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I don't see why there has to be a problem with food colouring. I would have it all in my container.
Only going by what the removal rep told us "anything with food in the title is a no-no". Thank goodness for this forum, research and common sense.
Thank you.
gorleen is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:42 pm
  #7  
Professional Cat herder
 
Zoe Bell's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: TORONTO- yay!!!
Posts: 5,707
Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: food colourings

Originally Posted by gorleen View Post
Only going by what the removal rep told us "anything with food in the title is a no-no". Thank goodness for this forum, research and common sense.
Thank you.
How about books about food ?
or fake food
or food guides?

What if you renamed the food colouring " edible artistic supplies"

Hope this helps
Zoe Bell is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.