Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying out today

Flying out today

Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

jcatterbury is on a distinguished road
Default Flying out today

After a 30 month wait I am flying out to Toronto today leaving Manchester at 14.15. Shame the damned flight has been delayed until 19.45! So I have an extra a five hours to wait. :-( I've even been forced to pay GBP5 to browse the interent for an hour in a nasty airport lounge! Oh well, in about 10 hours I'll be a PR so life ain't so bad!

Hopefully my next post will be from Toronto.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying out today

Originally Posted by jcatterbury
After a 30 month wait I am flying out to Toronto today leaving Manchester at 14.15. Shame the damned flight has been delayed until 19.45! So I have an extra a five hours to wait. :-( I've even been forced to pay GBP5 to browse the interent for an hour in a nasty airport lounge! Oh well, in about 10 hours I'll be a PR so life ain't so bad!

Cheers,
Jason

Good luck. Was it you who was looking at the apartment by the market?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jcatterbury

Cheers,
Jason
If it makes you feel any better, the weather forecast for TO this weekend is mid-20s and sunny. Stock up on booze on Saturday.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If it makes you feel any better, the weather forecast for TO this weekend is mid-20s and sunny. Stock up on booze on Saturday.
I think the LCBO/Beer Stores are open 12-6 on Sunday too this weekend. Closed Monday though, so good advice to the unsuspecting newcomer.

I remember arriving in Mexico on the evening before the presidential election in 2000 and finding that all alcohol sales were outlawed for a 48 hour period. I wasn't happy.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck for the future - keep us informed how you get on.

Have a safe flight - eventually! Who are you flying with?

Joanne

Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think the LCBO/Beer Stores are open 12-6 on Sunday too this weekend. Closed Monday though, so good advice to the unsuspecting newcomer.
That's what we're here for.

I've screwed up on that one in the past. Popping out to buy wine for Thanksgiving dinner. On Thanksgiving. Ooops.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:57 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be glad you are on your way and what a good weekend you picked - Canada Day woohoo!!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:42 pm
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

I guess I'm a bit late for have a good flight!

So I'll say "Welcome to Canada"

Hope you enjoy the experience.

Suzyanne & ganag
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

HOpe your flight got off ok, and congratulations!!!

Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

jcatterbury is on a distinguished road

Hi and thanks for the replies/warnings/welcomes!

Anyway I am now here and nine days after landing I already have a phone, internet and cable installed. That is an improvement over the three weeks BT took to install a phoneline in my apartment in March.

Shame I missed the LCBO warnings and I was the sober person in Toronto on Canada Day. :-( Other than that and the two hours I had to wait for my SIN last week it has all gone very smoothly.

Just to answer the questions from the thread....

I flew Air Transat and, other than the huge delay, I was quite impressed with them. The service was good and the staff were friendly. They even gave us free alcohol following the delay which I wholeheartedly applaud. Not a massive amount of legroom but the flight in general was superior to my Air Canada experiences.

It was me who was looking at the apartment by the market but in the end I went with an apartment on Pacific Avenue up by Bloor West Village and about a 10 minute walk to Keele subway and I am delighted with the location.

Everything is now sorted so the job search begins tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is having fun and may I be the last person on this board to wish you a Happy Canada Day! ;-)

Cheers,
Jason
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:48 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jason glad everything is going quite well. At least you are away from the awful rain we have been plagued with! It's funny the different experiences people have with airlines. We flew Air Canada at the end of June and thought they were excellent.

good luck with the job hunt tomorrow - hope you find a real good one.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada and good luck with the job search.
Yoong
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada from the newbies on the west coast!