Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying Our Huge Dog To Calgary From Manchester!

Flying Our Huge Dog To Calgary From Manchester!

Old May 18th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flying Our Huge Dog To Calgary From Manchester!

Originally Posted by mclaren family
think yourself lucky with that quote I was quoted £4500 for 5 huskies
OMG!!!! That doesn't seem too bad for 5 of them though when you consider they seem to average £1000 a dog, I do feel for you though with that bill, unfortunately if you love yours as much as we love ours its a neccessary evil that you've gotta find
Old May 18th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
Heck your quote was pretty hefty! I will let you know who we find the cheapest.
Have you bought a crate already?? We bought a second hand one off a friend and it's fabulous! We have it in the hall in our house so that Saruman can get used to it, believe me he can be the most awkward dog but introducing him to the crate gradually at home has proved to be a big hit with him! We started off by putting his bed into the bottom part of the crate and he went to bed there straight away, we then put the lid on and we now even have the door on but haven't closed it on him yet! Honestly it's a fight between him and the children as they seem to like sitting in the crate as much as him!
Thanks for that, I have sent you a PM!!
Old May 18th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

mclaren family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags1972
OMG!!!! That doesn't seem too bad for 5 of them though when you consider they seem to average £1000 a dog, I do feel for you though with that bill, unfortunately if you love yours as much as we love ours its a neccessary evil that you've gotta find
lol not that bad considering its for 5, still gonna research as many options as possible though see what I can come up with

I thought you might like this forum for husky owners

http://www.sibespace.co.uk/forum/
Old May 18th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lol not that bad considering its for 5, still gonna research as many options as possible though see what I can come up with

I thought you might like this forum for husky owners

http://www.sibespace.co.uk/forum/
Always best to shop around, thanks for the website link, I've already got it though I haven't checked it out for a while.
Good luck with the quotes
Old May 18th 2009, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Mrs Foz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

In case I ever get to Canada (!) I kept this website for transporting my dog: http://www.animalairlines.co.uk/default.html

They look good, but I don't know of anyone who has used them.

I hope you find someone soon.

Best of luck. Mrs Foz,
Old May 18th 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

mclaren family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags1972
Always best to shop around, thanks for the website link, I've already got it though I haven't checked it out for a while.
Good luck with the quotes
cool what's your username on the site, I'm kirstygibson on there (maiden name)
Old May 18th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

cool what's your username on the site, I'm kirstygibson on there (maiden name)
I think its the same as here Mags1972, I'll check, not been on for a while!!

Nope its husky mags, lol memory like a sieve Lol!!now been changed to ismagill.

Last edited by Alphawolf; May 18th 2009 at 12:45 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs Foz
Hi,

In case I ever get to Canada (!) I kept this website for transporting my dog: http://www.animalairlines.co.uk/default.html

They look good, but I don't know of anyone who has used them.

I hope you find someone soon.

Best of luck. Mrs Foz,
Hi,

Thanks for passing this site onto me, I have just sent off for a quote from them. I agree they look good and are not too far away from us so lets hope they come back with a good price!

Lots of luck to you and I do hope you get to Canada one day...we have had a pretty hard time getting there but we made it eventually so hang in there and persevere!

I shall post the quote from this company once I receive it!

Kind regards,

Tamsin
Old May 18th 2009, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for passing this site onto me, I have just sent off for a quote from them. I agree they look good and are not too far away from us so lets hope they come back with a good price!

Lots of luck to you and I do hope you get to Canada one day...we have had a pretty hard time getting there but we made it eventually so hang in there and persevere!

I shall post the quote from this company once I receive it!

Kind regards,

Tamsin
Brilliant! I would be interested to know what they quote you. I have a very friendly rotti. I am thinking of coming across to Canada on a PNP as I am an executive assistant/secretary which seems to be on the shortage list for BC.

All the very best, Diane Fozani
Old May 18th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs Foz
Brilliant! I would be interested to know what they quote you. I have a very friendly rotti. I am thinking of coming across to Canada on a PNP as I am an executive assistant/secretary which seems to be on the shortage list for BC.

All the very best, Diane Fozani
Many thanks, they are going to get back to me with a quote this afternoon so I will definately let you know. If your rotti is quite a big dog then he/she is probably a similar size to Saruman! I have just spoken with BA cargo-they quoted £2200 Needless to say he won't be flying BA this summer

We have been through the Alberta PNP route and in total it's probably taken us 5 months in total to get PR so you could be in BC sooner than you think!
Old May 18th 2009, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, they are going to get back to me with a quote this afternoon so I will definately let you know. If your rotti is quite a big dog then he/she is probably a similar size to Saruman! I have just spoken with BA cargo-they quoted £2200 Needless to say he won't be flying BA this summer

We have been through the Alberta PNP route and in total it's probably taken us 5 months in total to get PR so you could be in BC sooner than you think!
£2200 cargo! Perhaps dogs get waitress service in cargo and red velvet cushions!

I need to come to Canada for a recce really as I have only research the possibilities on line, especially on this fantastic web siite (for 5 years now)! However, as always, it is down to funds, but I keep telling my hubby to wack it on the credit card and go for it. We have two teenagers, 14 and 17 so I really feel it is now or never. Diane
Old May 18th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi..we had 3 very big dogs a great dane, and 2 newfoundland x st bernards..that we desperatly wanted to bring to Canada with us..i phoned quite a few air companies and the cost for all of them was 6,700 pounds and had to take 2 flights..after careful consideration we decided it was kinder and less stressful for them if we rehomed them all..also with that huge expense to we just couldnt afford it..they all went to great homes and afre having a great life..i know this isnt everyones choice but i just couldnt put all that distress and huge cost to us on any of us...people should stop thinking about themselves and start to think about how it will affect there pet..when immigrating this is a very stressful time for any human imagine what its like for a dog..just my thoughts
Old May 18th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well after spending alot of time getting quotes so far the best has come from Dave at a company called Pets Away Tel 01903 872248....he was recommended to me by Thomas Cook Airlines.

The quote to fly Saruman actually on the same flight as us is £1243 which includes customs clearance, airline documents and special delivery to us the other end. We feel alot happier that he will be on our flight-the only problem I can foresee is that the children will want to travel with him in his crate! Our little boy has already said to us that he wants to travel with Saruman, when we explained how long the flight is he said, "It's fine, I can play my Nintendo DS all the way!"

Anyway we have pencilled him in with this company so unless another quote comes in alot cheaper it looks like he will be with us!

Ladyhaye's quote was £1552 for exactly the same flight and Jet Set Pets was around £1550 too. If anyone gets back to me with an amazing quote I shall let you all know!

One thing I know for sure is that our big boy is unlikely to get stressed at all with the flight especially since he loves his crate so much, and if you think of the wonderful life he is going to be having with us in Canada for him it will be well worth being locked in a cage for all of those hours!

Many thanks to you all for helping out so much,

Kind regards,

Tamsin
Old May 18th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi..we had 3 very big dogs a great dane, and 2 newfoundland x st bernards..that we desperatly wanted to bring to Canada with us..i phoned quite a few air companies and the cost for all of them was 6,700 pounds and had to take 2 flights..after careful consideration we decided it was kinder and less stressful for them if we rehomed them all..also with that huge expense to we just couldnt afford it..they all went to great homes and afre having a great life..i know this isnt everyones choice but i just couldnt put all that distress and huge cost to us on any of us...people should stop thinking about themselves and start to think about how it will affect there pet..when immigrating this is a very stressful time for any human imagine what its like for a dog..just my thoughts
As you say they are your thoughts and you are entitled to your opinions!
However as someone earlier posted it is a flight made up of hours and Dogs soon get over things like that, I couldn't put a money value on taking our 2 with us, they are our family and we are theirs. The day after their flight they will no doubt be running around exploring their new surroundings and by the time a week has passed the flight, which I'm presuming alot will sleep through, will be a distant memory. Our dogs will go with us for a better life for them too, a bigger house and garden to play in and proper Snow which Huskies love as I'm sure you know so I think they will be happy.
I'm guessing you probably also had children to take with you, we don't have children, our dogs are our kids basically and leaving them behind would be like leaving our kids behind with new parents, abit dramatical I know but true.
I'm sorry but given a choice I bet your 3 dogs would have rather gone with you than be rehomed but again they are my thoughts.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well after spending alot of time getting quotes so far the best has come from Dave at a company called Pets Away Tel 01903 872248....he was recommended to me by Thomas Cook Airlines.

The quote to fly Saruman actually on the same flight as us is £1243 which includes customs clearance, airline documents and special delivery to us the other end. We feel alot happier that he will be on our flight-the only problem I can foresee is that the children will want to travel with him in his crate! Our little boy has already said to us that he wants to travel with Saruman, when we explained how long the flight is he said, "It's fine, I can play my Nintendo DS all the way!"

Anyway we have pencilled him in with this company so unless another quote comes in alot cheaper it looks like he will be with us!

Ladyhaye's quote was £1552 for exactly the same flight and Jet Set Pets was around £1550 too. If anyone gets back to me with an amazing quote I shall let you all know!

One thing I know for sure is that our big boy is unlikely to get stressed at all with the flight especially since he loves his crate so much, and if you think of the wonderful life he is going to be having with us in Canada for him it will be well worth being locked in a cage for all of those hours!

Many thanks to you all for helping out so much,

Kind regards,

Tamsin
Hi Tamsin, I might give them a try also, have emailed animal airlines and a company called Whitelea Skydogs for quotes and am just waiting to hear back from them. We would like a nightflight for ours as we know thats when they are calmest and more likely to sleep through the flight, will let you know what the quotes come in at!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.