Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying Our Huge Dog To Calgary From Manchester!

Flying Our Huge Dog To Calgary From Manchester!

Old May 17th 2009, 1:46 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying Our Huge Dog To Calgary From Manchester!

The vets and shippers don t like them sedated no w - apparently more likely to "lose" them in flight.

Mine were fab only thing - cant take meat products into Canada, OH forgot to bring any dog food with him to pick us up (I was arriving with the kids and the dogs) so ended up feeding them jelly babies when we got them!!
Old May 17th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Sorry about that but for what it's worth I have the same admiration for Huskies.
Don't worry no problem
Old May 17th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;7578072]I must say I'ved never heard of the Briard breed so I googled the name. What absolutely magnificent creatures. I suspect the previous poster that suggested you leave them back in the UK and buy new ones here has never had dogs. I know why you could never abandon these family members. Unfortunately I have no advice about the cost of flying them here and I know you're concerned about their reactions to crating. Just keep in your mind that it's for hours, not days and soon they'll be bounding around their new home. I have heard of others whose dogs have been sedated prior to shipping so perhaps that can be done for your two.

Briards are the most wonderful dogs, like yourself I had never seen one but the first time I did meet a Briard I fell in love with them! They describe them as a heart wrapped in fur and they are! They are also the most michievious of dogs and can be quite a handful but that's what we love about him! I think my husband would rather head to Canada without me than the dog if he had to choose!
Old May 17th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
The vets and shippers don t like them sedated no w - apparently more likely to "lose" them in flight.

Mine were fab only thing - cant take meat products into Canada, OH forgot to bring any dog food with him to pick us up (I was arriving with the kids and the dogs) so ended up feeding them jelly babies when we got them!!
Many thanks for the telephone number, I have left a message so hopefully we may get a more reasonable quote when Dave rings me back! So far the cheapest I have had is with Air Canada-£1375-I spent all day yesterday ringing various numbers!

Your post made us laugh as we can see ourselves feeding jelly babies to our big baby! Right now is is getting used to his crate but he has to fght to get in it as the children seem to like sitting in it! At least it will feel like home to him when he is on his flight!
Old May 17th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goodpikey
this is the info someone else passed on to me
i started a thread called 'immigrating to vancouver with dog' a few months back and got quite a few replies.
not really sure how you find it but it's on here somewher!

quote:
Hi

From memory I think this has been the case with the info on Air Transat website for a while, however if you contact their cargo area direct you can arrange transportation.

Here are the contact details that 4 bells passed to me a while ago

chap was Dave Swift at Air T cargo - TS Clipper I think is there company name -
David:

[email protected] 01784 431831

Hope this helps

Many thanks for the number, I have left a message so hopefully someone will get back to us tomorrow with a cheaper quote! Your help is very much appreciated!
Old May 17th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Summer months into Calgary don't allow pets to be taken as excess baggage whatever the weight - they have to go as freight... We seriously considered leaving our two (fat) labs in the UK for a month and one of us heading back for a short trip in september to utilise the excess baggage service... but the more you put it off the more problematic it gets. With the cost of our flight we'd only be saving about £500, so we're gritting out teeth and forking out for freight charges. Air Transat seems to be the cheapest from London...
Old May 17th 2009, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mags1972
Bless em, it panics the hell out of us with our 2, the male doesnt like his crate at the best of times
Heck your quote was pretty hefty! I will let you know who we find the cheapest.
Have you bought a crate already?? We bought a second hand one off a friend and it's fabulous! We have it in the hall in our house so that Saruman can get used to it, believe me he can be the most awkward dog but introducing him to the crate gradually at home has proved to be a big hit with him! We started off by putting his bed into the bottom part of the crate and he went to bed there straight away, we then put the lid on and we now even have the door on but haven't closed it on him yet! Honestly it's a fight between him and the children as they seem to like sitting in the crate as much as him!
Old May 17th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tamsin8;7579005]
Originally Posted by Auld Yin
What absolutely magnificent creatures. I suspect the previous poster that suggested you leave them back in the UK and buy new ones here has never had dogs. I know why you could never abandon these family members. :
I suspect you must be referring to my earlier post which was intentionally designed to be flippant with a healthy dose of sarcasm. If one reads between the lines the message was that cost is no object when it comes to a much loved pet who is really a member of the family.

That is why I wrote '.. but I most sincerely hope that your oversized pooch, for the remainder of its natural days, displays the appropriate sense of gratitude and appreciation, for the money you guys will end up shelling out. You could just as easily have gotten a replacement this side of the pond and left Saruman behind, free to roam the Welsh countryside. I can think of nothing worse than an ungrateful dog.'

Other than in a Disney movie, how on earth can a dog understand that it cost a small fortune to ship him and for that he should display a lifetime of gratitude?

Last edited by montreal mike; May 17th 2009 at 3:00 pm.
Old May 17th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Our Lab was 18 months old and weighed 25Kg It was B.A. who told us if she went on the same flight as us she could go as excess baggage
Old May 17th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

The terminology is highly ironic since they are anything but 'excess baggage' which can denote they are unwanted and need to be gotten rid of.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:32 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think any of the companies do them as excess baggage now - its all freight / cargo!

Tamsin - mine were always fine with their crates - As one is so big I always had the crate available in case I had nervous vistiors.

I got one off ebay - second hand and the other via an ebay shop - new the giant one was about 130gbp.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
Heck your quote was pretty hefty! I will let you know who we find the cheapest.
Have you bought a crate already?? We bought a second hand one off a friend and it's fabulous! We have it in the hall in our house so that Saruman can get used to it, believe me he can be the most awkward dog but introducing him to the crate gradually at home has proved to be a big hit with him! We started off by putting his bed into the bottom part of the crate and he went to bed there straight away, we then put the lid on and we now even have the door on but haven't closed it on him yet! Honestly it's a fight between him and the children as they seem to like sitting in the crate as much as him!
Our big dog arrived here last week. We paid £1250 which was the cheapest I could find. He had to fly cargo with Air Canada.

Just a warning though, I too bought a a used wooden sky kennel which had previously been used to fly a dog. It was refused by the Pet Transport Company I used as they said it wasn't stamped that the wood had been heat treated and Canada would not accept it as they are very strict??

I had no choice but to purchase an almost identical one from them at £112 which had the appropriate stamp on!
Old May 18th 2009, 3:51 am
half a century

Originally Posted by snow valley
Our big dog arrived here last week. We paid £1250 which was the cheapest I could find. He had to fly cargo with Air Canada.

Just a warning though, I too bought a a used wooden sky kennel which had previously been used to fly a dog. It was refused by the Pet Transport Company I used as they said it wasn't stamped that the wood had been heat treated and Canada would not accept it as they are very strict??

I had no choice but to purchase an almost identical one from them at £112 which had the appropriate stamp on!
hmm - sneaky - and you cant say no at that point can you!
Old May 18th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm - sneaky - and you cant say no at that point can you!
Problem was, as we are already in Canada, our family took our dog to Heathrow when they were faced with this situation. They weren't expecting an expense like this or any other complications. I thought I had it all covered.

Pet transport company told my family, don't worry they will just debit my bank account with the £112 as they still had my card details from when I paid the main bill!!
Old May 18th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

mclaren family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags1972
I just had a quote from Ladyhaye for £2054 for my 2 huskies from uk to Calgary, £1546 was airfare. what the hell is that all about????? Does anyone know of any alternatives, what is the max weight for excess baggage and how does it work? The heaviest is about 26-27 kgs.
Thanks guys!!
think yourself lucky with that quote I was quoted £4500 for 5 huskies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.