Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying dog out with us, quoted £1800!!!!

Flying dog out with us, quoted £1800!!!!

Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying dog out with us, quoted £1800!!!!

Airpet have just quoted me £1800 to fly our border collie out with us from Heathrow to Winnipeg, rather pricey and also they said they might not be able to fly her from Toronto to Winnipeg as the plane is smaller = no efficient heating where the dog goes, i cant have the dog left in Toronto to travel via car to Winnipeg (she told me to do this haha) Any other way of doing it myself??? This quote had everything includede, eg crate, delivery to terminal, health certificate etc but still £1800!!! (quote a few months ago was £1500) pfff what to do now.....
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying dog out with us, quoted £1800!!!!

Originally Posted by franfluff
Airpet have just quoted me £1800 to fly our border collie out with us from Heathrow to Winnipeg, rather pricey and also they said they might not be able to fly her from Toronto to Winnipeg as the plane is smaller = no efficient heating where the dog goes, i cant have the dog left in Toronto to travel via car to Winnipeg (she told me to do this haha) Any other way of doing it myself??? This quote had everything includede, eg crate, delivery to terminal, health certificate etc but still £1800!!! (quote a few months ago was £1500) pfff what to do now.....
Depending who the carrier is between TO and Winnipeg and the size of the crate yes there might be a problem. AC use the Airbus and Westjet the Boeing 737 and both usually manage the larger crated dogs. Check your booking to see what type of plane it is.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch,I'm sure I read Air Transat do dogs for £180.00,I've got a wee Border Collie myself who is 2 /12 and I deffo want to bring her over once I have settled in.(That was to Calgary though)
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If your dog and the crate combined weigh more than 32 kgs, excess baggage is not an option and you will have to pay $$$ to send the dog cargo.

IIRC we paid 2,500 ish pounds to fly our two Rotties cargo in 2007.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

also they said they might not be able to fly her from Toronto to Winnipeg as the plane is smaller = no efficient heating where the dog goes, i cant have the dog left in Toronto to travel via car to Winnipeg (she told me to do this haha) Any other way of doing it myself???
When you get to Winnipeg, just whistle for your dog. You can see a dog coming from several thousand kilometres in Winnipeg.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
When you get to Winnipeg, just whistle for your dog. You can see a dog coming from several thousand kilometres in Winnipeg.
Like a Canadian episode of the Littlest Hobo.

Altogether now....

There's a voice that keeps on calling me...

...down the road is where I'll always be.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If your dog and the crate combined weigh more than 32 kgs, excess baggage is not an option and you will have to pay $$$ to send the dog cargo.

IIRC we paid 2,500 ish pounds to fly our two Rotties cargo in 2007.
Things must have changed recently then, I queried Air Transat specifically about this 3 weeks ago, as our dog + crate will be around 40kg, and the response from the man on the phone was "weight is not a problem, just make sure the crate is the proper size and type".
This reduced our cost from £750 to £180 (Manchester to Calgary in August)
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Things must have changed recently then, I queried Air Transat specifically about this 3 weeks ago, as our dog + crate will be around 40kg, and the response from the man on the phone was "weight is not a problem, just make sure the crate is the proper size and type".
I would not rely too much on what anybody from AT says on the phone. They told us as well changing bags are allowed if traveling with an infant and won't be weighed and the 5kg hand luggage rule does not apply for them. Got to Manchester airport and guess what...yes they weighed it, it was over with all the food jars etc and they made a big fuss telling us how many million pounds we'd have to pay.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you every success
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
haha yeh exactly lol x
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

really that cheap??? Wow airpet must really take the mick then at those prices, time to give air transat a ring then!!! How much room does the dog need inside the crate, how do you know what is correct? I know pets at home do the crates now up to airline specification so i could buy one from there! My collie weights between 24-25kg and i dont think those plastic crates are that heavy! x
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

I have mine flying with ladyhaye from gatwick to Halifax, 7 days in kennels (london end) and they do the fit to fly certs, provide crate etc..£830 Please bare in mind the dogs are small (yorkies) and they are sharing a crate. I got a quote from airpets and they were £1300
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I would not rely too much on what anybody from AT says on the phone. They told us as well changing bags are allowed if traveling with an infant and won't be weighed and the 5kg hand luggage rule does not apply for them. Got to Manchester airport and guess what...yes they weighed it, it was over with all the food jars etc and they made a big fuss telling us how many million pounds we'd have to pay.
I know what you mean, it concerned me too until I read this thread from 3 weeks ago. Have a look at Ailsa n Dave's posts, #95 and #103. It has reassured me that things will go smoothly. That's first hand, recent experience, and it tells me what I need to hear :-) They flew from Glasgow, so I'll be double-checking with Manchester once the Calgary flights start up in May.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

really that cheap??? Wow airpet must really take the mick then at those prices, time to give air transat a ring then!!! How much room does the dog need inside the crate, how do you know what is correct? I know pets at home do the crates now up to airline specification so i could buy one from there! My collie weights between 24-25kg and i dont think those plastic crates are that heavy! x
The dog needs to be able to stand up properly, and be able to turn around and lie down. We've an border x welsh terrier, about 10kg, and he'll go in a medium sized vari kennel. Our other dog is an Airedale, about 23kg, but now we've measured him, he seems pretty tall, so will need a giant crate, even though when you shop around for crates on the web (look for sky vari kennels for starters) they suggest an airedale should fit in an "extra large" crate. The trouble is, our local pets at home doesn't stock extra large or giant crates, so I can't measure him up against one, so I just have to trust our measurements. There's quite a leap in price between extra large and giant, but he's our dog and he's got to be as comfortable as possible.
Plus the airline can refuse to take him if they deem him too large for his crate, so we've no choice really, it's a giant one!
As a way of gauging the crate you might need, try this page.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:30 pm
Are we there yet?

Catri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud ofCatri has much to be proud of

We were given quote for around £2,800 from Airpets.
We have a small Shih tzu cross and a very large 70kg bear ( Newfoundland)
We are not possibly moving until next yr but am wondering if we can do it cheaper?
Though may be slight problem getting a crate for the bear!
Would be interesting to hear how other people with large dogs managed.
At a last resort I will put a saddle on her, with all our belongings and start making my way now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.