Reload this Page >

Flying dog back from Halifax,NS to England

Flying dog back from Halifax,NS to England

Old Aug 20th 2019, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Lolly16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying dog back from Halifax,NS to England

Hi all,

I am looking to fly our family dog back to England from Nova scotia, Ideally to heathrow/Gatwick but open to other destinations .

West Jet do not offer flights for dogs from Halifax, Air Canada have quoted $2606.00. Does anyone have other suggestions/advice ?

Thanks !
Old Aug 20th 2019, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying dog back from Halifax,NS to England

Icelandair perhaps? They were great with our cat, so I imagine they would be good with a doggie.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 5:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

An alternative could be to fly from Halifax to Toronto/Montreal - then get a flight from Toronto/Montreal on AirTransat - considerably cheaper usually.
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs

More here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada
Plus UK regulations might dictate who you can use https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/approved-routes

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pet-travel-approved-air-sea-rail-and-charter-routes-for-the-movement-of-pets

Air Transat are on the list, as are Icelandair: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-pet-travel

You might want to check out / ask questions in our Moving Back to the UK forum: https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 20th 2019 at 5:23 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Kanukki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Icelandair perhaps? They were great with our cat, so I imagine they would be good with a doggie.
Icelandair has suspended their Halifax route due to the Boeing 737 MAX ban.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:32 am
Just Joined

lhb0705 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have used PetAir to fly our dog from the UK to Vancouver, not sure if they do the other way, but they have been great? Might be worth a look?
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 12:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lolly16
Hi all,

I am looking to fly our family dog back to England from Nova scotia, Ideally to heathrow/Gatwick but open to other destinations .

West Jet do not offer flights for dogs from Halifax, Air Canada have quoted $2606.00. Does anyone have other suggestions/advice ?

Thanks !
There was a thread on this (but the other way UK - Halifax) recently. Air Canada is not currently flying from Halifax to London directly - due to the 737Max grounding. So, any AC routing will be via Montreal or Toronto. I believe the person in the other thread was going to drive Halifax to Montreal rather than put their dog through the change in planes. Westjet is flying directly to LGW until the end of October (& then again from May 2020) but again a 737 so limited cargo capacity which may account for why they will not fly your dog.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
There was a thread on this (but the other way UK - Halifax) recently. Air Canada is not currently flying from Halifax to London directly - due to the 737Max grounding. So, any AC routing will be via Montreal or Toronto. I believe the person in the other thread was going to drive Halifax to Montreal rather than put their dog through the change in planes. Westjet is flying directly to LGW until the end of October (& then again from May 2020) but again a 737 so limited cargo capacity which may account for why they will not fly your dog.
Westjet don't fly animals into the UK at all - never mind from Halifax

United Kingdom
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...e-requirements
Due to the strict requirements on the transportation of live animals mandated by the local government, we do not accept pets on flights to Glasgow and London Gatwick with the exception of service dogs. Please visit assistive animals for information on travelling with a service dog.
I still recommend flying from Toronto on Air Transat.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Jmuir is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you solve this problem? It appears that all of the U.K. Flights to Canada will only allow pets going as cargo and stopping in Toronto. Crazy! Flight is longer to Toronto then direct to Halifax. They have quoted me between £2000 and £2700 when it appears that until recently they could fly for £200. I am now looking into whether I can fly my dog from Paris to Montreal and maybe a flight or car ride to Halifax. Of course that will include a train from Edinburgh to Paris as well. May find they need to be shipped as cargo as well? My plan is to move to Nova Scotia for 6 months a year eventually but am so stressed about my dog. Canada's only requirement is a rabies shot so why do we have to pack them as cargo and have customs charges apply? Thought of finding out about the rules of flying to the US as well. There must be a way to still send them as baggage! In my opinion a nicer way to travel, rather then a box loaded by a freight forwarder. Has anyone flown a dog to Canada and back within the last year? Any hints?
Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jmuir
Did you solve this problem? It appears that all of the U.K. Flights to Canada will only allow pets going as cargo and stopping in Toronto. Crazy! Flight is longer to Toronto then direct to Halifax. They have quoted me between £2000 and £2700 when it appears that until recently they could fly for £200. I am now looking into whether I can fly my dog from Paris to Montreal and maybe a flight or car ride to Halifax. Of course that will include a train from Edinburgh to Paris as well. May find they need to be shipped as cargo as well? My plan is to move to Nova Scotia for 6 months a year eventually but am so stressed about my dog. Canada's only requirement is a rabies shot so why do we have to pack them as cargo and have customs charges apply? Thought of finding out about the rules of flying to the US as well. There must be a way to still send them as baggage! In my opinion a nicer way to travel, rather then a box loaded by a freight forwarder. Has anyone flown a dog to Canada and back within the last year? Any hints?
Air Transat to Toronto - (they fly from Glasgow) pets go as baggage (in the hold), then get a train or rent a vehicle to get to Halifax. You could even possibly get an internal flight in Canada. Quite honestly though, I'd be reluctant to put a dog through flights and then return to the UK if you are only coming for 6 months to a year.

Pets do have to go cargo if they are returning TO the UK or you travel on TGV Air (via france) .

https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra...d-service-dogs
Rates and charges shown apply only to animals checked into the cargo hold. Service animals on duty in the passenger cabin fly free. At airports outside of Canada, actual amounts may vary and will be charged in the currency used in the departure airport.
To and from Europe: £180 each way per animal. Domestic flights within Canada: £49 each way per animal

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 24th 2019 at 4:22 pm.