Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:15 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea what you should expect (other than Royal baby fever which seems to have consumed the country), but I just had to say that this thread has had me in stitches! And if you find yourself anywhere near Berkshire, feel free to pop in for a cuppa (and a slice of pork pie obviously).

Enjoy your trip.
Unlikely I will be "down Sarf", but thanks for the invitation.

My time in the UK is short and my travelling will be limited to short distances - mainly to my Mum's amply-stocked fridge and back.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

I've been back in Wales since May, and the things I've re-discovered most happily are pubs, complete strangers who will chat and laugh and be generally sociable in queues (not line-ups), people understanding irony/ humour/ jokes, salad cream, guacamole, good weather, the sea, cliffs and views (lived in Northern Ontario so no hilltop views to speak of), Tesco, really good Indian and Chinese takeaways (as I said, we lived in Northern Ontario), more than 2 minutes between ads on the TV, Sky TV, not having to look out for bears/ moose/ skunks/ porcupines/ raccoons, children who say 'yes please I would like a drink' instead of 'sure', school uniform, antique shops, Next, Marks and Spencer bras, robins (British not American version), estate agents, cows and sheep in fields, fields, footpaths that I can run down without taking bear spray, cupboards (not closets), petrol (not gas), and cherry trees in blossom (back in May).
And the things I wasn't so happy to re-discover are manual transmission (on cars), busy roads, white van men, teeny parking spaces, teeny roads with or without passing places, roundabouts, small washing machines, tiny fridges, miniature houses.
Have a good trip
Old Jul 19th 2013, 12:16 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
I've been back in Wales since May, and the things I've re-discovered most happily are pubs, complete strangers who will chat and laugh and be generally sociable in queues (not line-ups), people understanding irony/ humour/ jokes, salad cream, guacamole, good weather, the sea, cliffs and views (lived in Northern Ontario so no hilltop views to speak of), Tesco, really good Indian and Chinese takeaways (as I said, we lived in Northern Ontario), more than 2 minutes between ads on the TV, Sky TV, not having to look out for bears/ moose/ skunks/ porcupines/ raccoons, children who say 'yes please I would like a drink' instead of 'sure', school uniform, antique shops, Next, Marks and Spencer bras, robins (British not American version), estate agents, cows and sheep in fields, fields, footpaths that I can run down without taking bear spray, cupboards (not closets), petrol (not gas), and cherry trees in blossom (back in May).
And the things I wasn't so happy to re-discover are manual transmission (on cars), busy roads, white van men, teeny parking spaces, teeny roads with or without passing places, roundabouts, small washing machines, tiny fridges, miniature houses.
Have a good trip
Sounds lovely!
I am in Wales for a while - the North Coast is where my family live now. I expect it to be full of holidaymakers at this time of year.

I am not driving anywhere , so most of your bad list will not affect me at all.

My Mum will have space in here "tiny fridge" for my cheese and pork pies, She has been warned.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:40 am
Just Joined

jack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nice

I recently got back myself....must say I felt like a bloody foreigner.... A little disoriented on the tube too!.... Very strange
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by lcar
I've been back in Wales since May, and the things I've re-discovered most happily are...
good weather,
Tesco,
estate agents,
OMG
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helcat12
Sounds lovely!
I am in Wales for a while - the North Coast is where my family live now. I expect it to be full of holidaymakers at this time of year.

I am not driving anywhere , so most of your bad list will not affect me at all.

My Mum will have space in here "tiny fridge" for my cheese and pork pies, She has been warned.
Lol. Have a great trip
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scribble
OMG
Yes, I appreciate that sounds bad when you put it like that.
Isn't it surprising what you actually miss?
Or am I on my own here? Yes? Ah well....
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:37 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
There is a limitless supply of curly wurlys
My local Walmart now sells these. Yorkshire Tea Gold as well