Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's what you do with it that counts though.
That is NOT why I am leaving the OH behind!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12

Proper blue cheese (Colston Basset Stilton and Buxton Blue) is certainly on my list of must haves while I am there! In fact, a slice of good Stilton and a Bakewell pork pie would seem like bliss! Sadly, I believe I am not allowed to bring either of those things back with me.
Which is why you're going to eat it until you burst no doubt

It's a long time since I lived in the UK, but for reasons that are totally unfathomable I miss it more since coming to Canada, than I ever have before. Every visit I've had there in the last few years, the people were just sooo nice, chatty, funny and friendly and really willing to help. Have a great trip and send us a postcard!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:40 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Which is why you're going to eat it until you burst no doubt

It's a long time since I lived in the UK, but for reasons that are totally unfathomable I miss it more since coming to Canada, than I ever have before. Every visit I've had there in the last few years, the people were just sooo nice, chatty, funny and friendly and really willing to help. Have a great trip and send us a postcard!
I will certainly be indulging.
I am right that I can't bring any back, aren't I?

I would be gutted if I found out after coming home that they had changed the rules and I could have put a whole Stilton in my hand luggage.

Family events with my lot tend to be chaotic.

My sister and niece, who is the bride, will probably have some sort of tension-induced row prior to the big day.
My Mum will cry at almost everything.
Everyone who sees me will say how much I look like my Dad (who has been dead for twenty years, but that is what happens at every family event I have ever been to).

I will be happy with a glass of champagne and a Hog roast bun in the corner, trying to keep out of it.

I'll certainly report back what I thought about it all.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am right that I can't bring any back, aren't I?
You can bring back up to 20 kilograms per person with a value of $20 or less.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:00 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can bring back up to 20 kilograms per person with a value of $20 or less.
Of CHEESE?

Really?

That would be amazing!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Of CHEESE?

Really?

That would be amazing!
http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml#a2
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:58 pm
Island life at last

That has to be the best news I have had for a long time.

Thanks, Jon!

Bit upset about the Mitten Crab, though. Still, you can't have everything.

Last edited by helcat12; Jul 17th 2013 at 8:59 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Proper blue cheese (Colston Basset Stilton and Buxton Blue) is certainly on my list of must haves while I am there! In fact, a slice of good Stilton and a Bakewell pork pie would seem like bliss! Sadly, I believe I am not allowed to bring either of those things back with me.
A Bakewell pork pie? Is that with almond sponge and jam?

(do you mean Melton Mowbray?)
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:53 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by bats
A Bakewell pork pie? Is that with almond sponge and jam?

(do you mean Melton Mowbray?)
No, I mean a pork pie baked in Bakewell!

Andrew Armstrong's butchers there bakes the very best pork pies I have ever tasted.
The pastry is crisp on the outside and soft in side, the meat is lightly spiced and the jelly is perfect - not too stiff and just enough of it.

Perfect!

They also do them topped with Stilton!

I recommend anyone passing through on the A6 to stop and buy one.
Then eat it nearby, as you will be going in for some more!

Last edited by helcat12; Jul 17th 2013 at 9:59 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:11 pm
Island life at last

This is the place!
Attached Thumbnails Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?-andrew-armstrong-bakewell.png  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

No, I mean a pork pie baked in Bakewell!

Andrew Armstrong's butchers there bakes the very best pork pies I have ever tasted.
The pastry is crisp on the outside and soft in side, the meat is lightly spiced and the jelly is perfect - not too stiff and just enough of it.

Perfect!

They also do them topped with Stilton!

I recommend anyone passing through on the A6 to stop and buy one.
Then eat it nearby, as you will be going in for some more!
Stilton and pork pie combined? Can that be legal?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:45 pm
Island life at last

Stilton and pork pie combined? Can that be legal?
It tastes wicked enough to be illegal.

From what I have read on the website Jon posted, it is certainly illegal for me to bring any of them back with me.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:53 pm
limey party pooper

It tastes wicked enough to be illegal.

From what I have read on the website Jon posted, it is certainly illegal for me to bring any of them back with me.
Then you have to eat many when there.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:59 pm
Island life at last

Then you have to eat many when there.
My poor OH will be very upset, especially if I call him when I get to the UK and say I am eating one of these pork pies, as it is his birthday!

Better just not tell him, I suppose.
Shame.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:12 am
limey party pooper

My poor OH will be very upset, especially if I call him when I get to the UK and say I am eating one of these pork pies, as it is his birthday!

Better just not tell him, I suppose.
Shame.
Secret pie eating, seems rather wanton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.