Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:44 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

I have been here in BC for about 20 months now.
I am going back to the UK for the first time this weekend.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am NOT bailing out, I just have a family wedding, inconveniently and expensively timed.

I have been told by other people that the first visit back is strange and almost worse culture shock than turning up in Canada for the first time.

Has much changed? Will I feel foreign?
Just wondering what other people found.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Originally Posted by helcat12
I have been here in BC for about 20 months now.
I am going back to the UK for the first time this weekend.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am NOT bailing out, I just have a family wedding, inconveniently and expensively timed.

I have been told by other people that the first visit back is strange and almost worse culture shock than turning up in Canada for the first time.

Has much changed? Will I feel foreign?
Just wondering what other people found.
There is a limitless supply of curly wurlys
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I am going with a near-empty suitcase for just such an opportunity.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I am going with a near-empty suitcase for just such an opportunity.
Excellent. When we went back for the first time we thought Tesco cashiers were unfriendly and everbody rushed around. We didnt like the bacon,er can't really remember anything else odd. Leaving was mucvh harder that time than when we emigrated. The goodbyes were hard.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:40 pm
Island life at last

Excellent. When we went back for the first time we thought Tesco cashiers were unfriendly and everbody rushed around. We didnt like the bacon,er can't really remember anything else odd. Leaving was mucvh harder that time than when we emigrated. The goodbyes were hard.
I do perceive that the "don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" rule applied to the OH's parents, as he came here well before me and so had a couple of visits back in the first year.

His parents' attitude had changed quite considerably. Whereas before he left, they didn't seem at all bothered about seeing him, once he had left, they were very much more keen to make the running.

He isn't going back with me this time - I am on my own.

I didn't have much song and dance when I left. I went to the airport on my own, so no difficult goodbyes there!
Maybe this time people will have had time to miss me (or not!!).

Thanks for your input.
It is better to be warned than find it comes as a surprise.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:06 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

You might feel like a stranger in your own country especially if going back for a short time.

I've been home 3 times - twice for 8 days vacation and both times it felt a little surreal probably because of the whirlwind of visiting friends. Last year I went home for 3 weeks (illness in family) and by the end I felt very comfortable in my surroundings even with the horrendous traffic. I never got used to the amount of seagulls squawking day and night though (Aberdeen)
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:18 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 14 years and have only been back to the UK once - that was 5 years ago. To be honest, it was more of a duty trip than anything else.

I expected to washed in nostalgia but it was all a bit of a let down. The UK was pleasant enough, and travelling on the TGV through France was fun, but I was content when it was all over and I was back on the plane to Vancouver.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jul 17th 2013 at 12:20 am.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The fellow who sits behind me went to London on the weekend for a family wedding. He said the water pressure was feeble but the pubs were fun. Pretty much what an informed traveller might expect.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:10 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The fellow who sits behind me went to London on the weekend
Did he ask for a currency lesson?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did he ask for a currency lesson?
A different chap. This one lived in London at one time.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

That, alone, is enough reason to move back. I love those damned things.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

The roads and parking spaces will feel impossibly narrow for a couple of days. Those flippin' hedges keep jumping out to get you.

The M25 (if you are going to Heathrow) truly is white-van-man hell - and they are soooo fast. In those narrow lanes.

The old architecture is just a delight and you'll have forgotten that you miss it.

Public transport, if you use it, will be amazing. And frequent. And everywhere.

And yes - curly wurlys.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:33 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we found when we went back this year (so glad we went with 2 empty suitcases!) and yes, plenty of Curly Wurlys in there too!

Seriously, the thing that struck us the most was how narrow the roads were; lots of sharp intakes of breath at every turn!

Its true, everything did feel foreign at first but, after a few days, we settled into it and started to remember all the reasons why we wanted to move away in the first place!

It was great to catch up with friends and family but, at the end of the day, couldn`t wait to get back here!!
Attached Thumbnails Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?-p1030222.jpg  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

You will find the cheese disgusting and will find yourself scouring the supermarkets for packs of those plastic like individually wrapped 'proper' cheese.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

And there's a little heat wave. Dress lightly for outside!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.