Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying back to the UK on Saturday - What to expect?

Originally Posted by helcat12
I have been here in BC for about 20 months now.
I am going back to the UK for the first time this weekend.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am NOT bailing out, I just have a family wedding, inconveniently and expensively timed.

I have been told by other people that the first visit back is strange and almost worse culture shock than turning up in Canada for the first time.

Has much changed? Will I feel foreign?
Just wondering what other people found.
Most definitley, almost everyone is now Muslim, and all females have to wear the full burkha, and walk several steps behind their lord and master, otherwise known as husband. Women are not allowed to drive, and only go to school till the age of 8.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:50 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Most definitley, almost everyone is now Muslim, and all females have to wear the full burkha, and walk several steps behind their lord and master, otherwise known as husband. Women are not allowed to drive, and only go to school till the age of 8.
I thought schooling was only till the age of 6?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Everything will feel smaller and narrower. Your biggest danger is getting run over as a pedestrian either because you're looking the wrong way or you mistakenly believe that pedestrians have the right of way there. They DON'T!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:58 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

I found last year that whereas here in Canada, as soon as I speak I'm treated like a tourist, back in the UK where I WAS a tourist I was expected to be up to date with all the new stuff, new money, etc and got funny looks when I was ignorant of any of the latest happenings, celebrity news or TV trends. Very strange....
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Smaller. Smellier. Busier. Ruder. Tastier. Better. More real. Alive.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

ScotlandCanada1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back for the first time in about 15 months just over a month ago, after living in Newfoundland. My experience is much different than others here. I felt like I was back at home and was actually happy again! I walked outside my door and was surrounded by actual restaurants, pubs, cafes, museums, nice surroundings, parks, a bustling city, culture, and I could walk everywhere again. Here, I walk outside and I'm in suburban hell. I walked into Sainsbury's and there was FRESH produce that wasn't rotten - I was in awe of something that was once expected.

The only thing I like better here is the fact that I have a spacious three-bedroom house and a high-capacity washer AND dryer. Being back in my small, one-bed flat in the UK with the tiny washer/dryer combo was a bit of a shock. I'd go back to the cramped quarters in a second, though, if it meant getting out of here.

Since you're in BC, you'll probably have a different experience. I hear lovely things about Western Canada. Can't say the same about where I am in Eastern Canada.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
(so glad we went with 2 empty suitcases!) and yes, plenty of Curly Wurlys in there too!
Holy crap! What time does your shop open?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Am currently back in the UK now for 3 week visit after being in Canada for 2 years. When we arrived it was very surreal, felt that we had been away for 2 weeks not 2 years. There was none of the Cilla Black Suprise Suprise emotional reunion stuff we were expecting.
Think we probably came back to soon maybe. Leaving Heathrow in the hire car to drive 250 miles north was suprisingly easy, again as if we had only been gone a couple of weeks.
Some things will and have changed, some shops closed with new ones open, some pubs have changed names etc.
It may be different for you but we are shocked how little people and places have changed.
Can't wait to fly home to Manitoba this Friday.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:36 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Holy crap! What time does your shop open?
LOL We went at Easter so, sadly, very little left now apart from some mega jars of Marmite!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Helcat,

Do you have any regrets having left the UK? Do you find Canada better than the UK? Do you plan to return to the UK to live?

Thanks,
Louise
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:34 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
Helcat,

Do you have any regrets having left the UK? Do you find Canada better than the UK? Do you plan to return to the UK to live?

Thanks,
Louise
No, I am not planning on going back to the UK permanently.
We certainly have a better standard of living here than in the UK, as my OH earns more and has a job with better prospects.
Now that I have also got my career back (and my salary as well) that is all good.
We bought a house a year ago in a beautiful, rural place where we absolutely love living.
So, for us, Canada is better in those respects.

I don't regret leaving the UK, but I do miss sense of humour and I miss the Folk music scene, which I was quite involved in, very much indeed. That was our social activity and our friendship circle.
There is nothing much like it here, although I am performing at one festival this summer.

For all those who mentioned the driving, I had anticipated that!
I am not driving at all when I go back, for safety and sanity.

Proper blue cheese (Colston Basset Stilton and Buxton Blue) is certainly on my list of must haves while I am there! In fact, a slice of good Stilton and a Bakewell pork pie would seem like bliss! Sadly, I believe I am not allowed to bring either of those things back with me.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Helcat, thanks for this info and glad you have settled well into live in BC. Did you and your OH find it easily to get a job initially in Canada?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
You will find the cheese disgusting and will find yourself scouring the supermarkets for packs of those plastic like individually wrapped 'proper' cheese.
Do they no longer sell vacuum plastic wrapped cheese in the UK then?

It was plentiful in 2004.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Everything will feel smaller and narrower.
It's what you do with it that counts though.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:06 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
Helcat, thanks for this info and glad you have settled well into live in BC. Did you and your OH find it easily to get a job initially in Canada?
I am a teacher, so I couldn't get a job here without being PR.
My OH looked for work (in IT) and got offered a job here, so that is how we qualified and applied for Immigration - through the Cat 2 route (LMO/TWP).

I got a retail job here easily to begin with, as I had some applicable experience. Then I got a job at the Zoo (which I absolutely loved), as I have a degree in Zoology. Teaching was much harder to get into, but now it all seems worth it.

I have a list of things which my husband wants me to bring back, but I am sure that I will find things I have forgotten about while I am there.
A copy of the Sunday Times will be a luxury. The newspapers here are dire - there is no news in them, and OH misses the cricket section!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.