Reload this Page >

Flights Prices more expensive from canada,

Flights Prices more expensive from canada,

Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:44 am
Just Joined

MadeInDorset is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights Prices more expensive from canada,

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
How odd - we've always been quoted the price in pounds when we've booked via the UK. Did you ask for the dollar price, or did she give you that automatically?
Didn't mention currency at all. When I was quoted the price in dollars I thought I would confirm if others have asked for anything in particular. Will be trying again tomorrow as when looking at the UK site and planning a return trip to coincide with my outbound and an outbound to coincide with my return I am achieving a saving of about 400 dollars, being somewhat conservative with the exchange rate.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

How odd - we've always been quoted the price in pounds when we've booked via the UK. Did you ask for the dollar price, or did she give you that automatically?
I agree thats odd. Why would a UK travel company quote a flight in another currency? There was no mention of currency when i phoned, she quoted it in pounds sterling as i would expect.
If it helps the lady i spoke to was called Laura and she said i could ask for her by name if i needed assistance so maybe try that.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I agree thats odd. Why would a UK travel company quote a flight in another currency? There was no mention of currency when i phoned, she quoted it in pounds sterling as i would expect.
If it helps the lady i spoke to was called Laura and she said i could ask for her by name if i needed assistance so maybe try that.
Or if Laura's not available, the guy we spoke to at their London Office was called Simon and he seemed very efficient and friendly too

Maybe you called when the UK office was closed and got silently redirected to their Canadian branch...? Although, scratch that idea - I imagine you'd have noticed by the accent if that had happened!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:37 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Or if Laura's not available, the guy we spoke to at their London Office was called Simon and he seemed very efficient and friendly too

Maybe you called when the UK office was closed and got silently redirected to their Canadian branch...? Although, scratch that idea - I imagine you'd have noticed by the accent if that had happened!
When I called earlier this year, I spoke to both Glasgow and London and got quotes in both UK£ & CAD$. They both matched what I could see on either the .co.uk or .ca sites respectively. I'd tried asking in either currency to see if I could get these magically huge discounts others are reporting. As it is I think the small £50ish savings I got was from some slight adjustments in how the FX was calculated, nothing more exciting.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hobbess
When I called earlier this year, I spoke to both Glasgow and London and got quotes in both UK£ & CAD$. They both matched what I could see on either the .co.uk or .ca sites respectively. I'd tried asking in either currency to see if I could get these magically huge discounts others are reporting. As it is I think the small £50ish savings I got was from some slight adjustments in how the FX was calculated, nothing more exciting.

I did the same thing and the prices were the same. Flights were Calgary to Glasgow in July.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
I did the same thing and the prices were the same. Flights were Calgary to Glasgow in July.
Maybe the UK price starts out much lower than the Canadian base price (which would account for us saving $1000 for return flight for our family of 4, because we booked well in advance for a not particularly busy time of year) but then they push up the UK price more than the Canadian one if/when the flight starts getting fuller? Who knows...? Worked for us, anyway!
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

MadeInDorset is an unknown quantity at this point

Well finally booked my flights, return toronto to gatwick in June and saved over 400 dollars by speaking to someone in the London office. I called a number of times and all but the first call was either given the price in pounds or was asked if I would like the price in pounds or dollars.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I've booked my ticket today for Vancouver - Manchester return, departing at the end of next week.

Price online was $878
Price on the phone to the London office was £458

By my reckoning I saved about £100/$150 just by calling London and booking with them over the phone Thanks BE posters :-)

I haven't flown Canadian Affair before so fingers crossed...

Last edited by adele; May 4th 2011 at 4:43 am.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing seems to be hit and miss. I had a good deal as mentioned so recommended it to a friend who wanted to book Calgary/Gatwick return in October but he saved very little compared to me, in fact just enough to cover the extra "seat selection" cost.
Definitely worth a try anyhow
Old May 4th 2011, 10:02 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by adele
I've booked my ticket today for Vancouver - Manchester return, departing at the end of next week.

Price online was $878
Price on the phone to the London office was £458

By my reckoning I saved about £100/$150 just by calling London and booking with them over the phone Thanks BE posters :-)

I haven't flown Canadian Affair before so fingers crossed...
Which Canadian Affair airline are you flying with Thomas Cook or Air Transat?

We have flown both airlines and they are fine. They are cheap airlines so you get what you pay for.

Thomas Cook:
I have flown economy in Thomas Cook and like the seat back TVs but would recommend not paying for the extra leg seats as on some aircraft types you wont have arm rest TVs and if they dont have enough working hand-held TV devices they just say "sorry" and it can be a boring flight.

Also I would recommend buying water/drinks in the terminal (once past security) and taking them onboard as you will only get free drinks with the meal. I was on one flight and they struggled to balance the temperature between the front and back of the plane. We were so dehydrated and they cocked up the meal timings so we did not get any drinks as we started the approach before they could bring anything out. If I fly with them again I am going to take a little fan as well just in case.

I like the fact that on winter flights you dont have to pay to have your ski gear transported.

Air Transat:
We have only flown with them on our landing flight, we got Club Class seats for an additional £50 each, it was brilliant, extra luggage allowance and the best in-flight service we have had. Beats European Business Class flight experience on airlines like British Airways. You could not eat or drink enough. It made up for no seat back TVs.

Had we booked on the Air Transat website then I think our luggage allowance would have been more.

--

On both airlines they can (and often do) charge for excess backage over the 20 kg limit etc, so please remember that as it can be costly at the airport.

Also dont expect things like pillows and blankets as they are extra weight (and cleaning costs) so they have reduced them. They try to give blankets to the kids and people sitting in cold spots etc.

--

It is a shame they dont fly much from Ottawa.

Last edited by JB0591; May 4th 2011 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Added comments on airlines
Old May 10th 2011, 1:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Chucking my 2p in.......

got a quote form a travel agents for my 11 yer old daughter to fly over unaccompnied July 19th to August 9th. Heathrow to Calgary.

Quoted nearly $1800 (1794 or something similar).

Read this thread and thought i'd give Air Canada UK a call.

Saved $300 on the price so booked it right away Cheers guys you rock
Old May 10th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loss
Flights, Air Transat seem to be the cheapest I bought a one ticket for £130 including tax from London to Toronto if I wanted to fly back I getting quotes of $700 - $800. is this really the case or am I missing something.
no you are not missing anything. Canada is a very expensive place to live. Couple that with fuel prices being way higher in Britain you would imagine it is the other way around. Most of this is silly looney taxes which make (some) people feel good, but to most people with half a brain cell, they are just an excuse to extort more money and make you feel bad for not all living in teepees and sporting a beard.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:20 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Opposite update on this today. We've unfortunately got our first flight back for a funeral requirements and so my wife and kids are flying on Wednesday - Calgary to Glasgow.

Quote from the UK for 1 way (return is already booked as part of an original trip planned later this month) £450 for 3 flights. Booked in CAD$ (paying in £s) at $550 - so about £343.