Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights Prices more expensive from canada,

Flights Prices more expensive from canada,

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:16 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights Prices more expensive from canada,

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Er...No, actually.

The IATA Ticketing Rules are quite specific. A ticket can only be used from its 'Point of Origin' (ie: the UK, if booked in the UK or by phone from elsewhere with a UK agent) and return.

The return portion of a round-trip ticket can only be used if the outbound part has been canceled. So buying a UK-->Canada return hoping to use only the return part for a cheaper flight to the UK, will not work either.
Er no - we did it last summer - my dad rang the Uk office and booked mine and kids flights from Van to Gatwick and return !

I have also rung and booked my flight from van to Uk using a canadian credit card!~
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I just booked a flight from Halifax to Gatwick over the phone with the Canadian Affair office in UK and saved GBP 50 compared to the online price They let me use my Canadian Visa card without any problem...
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Er, before switching to booking online I used an agent for my business travel based in Texas, we bought dozens, perhaps hundreds, of tickets from Toronto to various locations in the US and around the world through that agent and were billed in US dollars. Whatever the definition of "point of origin" may be for this purpose either it doesn't mean, "you have to go to Canada to buy a ticket outbound from Canada" or the rule is widely ignored. Note also the umpteen recent examples cited on various threads here of people phoning the UK and saving money.

Indeed, now that I think of it, I have a ticket outbound from America for a flight this month. I didn't drive to America to buy it.
Most people are refering to charter flights here but does it work for scheduled flights too? For this to work I'm thinking you'd probably have to use a UK travel agent.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
presumably you need a UK credit card?
I flew back to the U.K last month, I phoned the Canadian affair U.K office as the flights were cheaper than booking on the internet, and I was able to pay with my Canadian Visa Card.

Last edited by mjwalker007; Apr 5th 2011 at 4:57 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

how much did you pay ?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenlivet
Most people are refering to charter flights here but does it work for scheduled flights too? For this to work I'm thinking you'd probably have to use a UK travel agent.
My references are to scheduled flights. I haven't flown enough on charters to have experimented with different methods of ticket purchase. I've found that getting to places in Canada from Toronto is cheaper if one drives to Buffalo or Detroit and flies from there, hence I went to Calgary from Detroit via Minneapolis, a flight that entailed buying a ticket outbound from America in Toronto (to the extent that an internet purchase can be said to have been made in a place).

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 5th 2011 at 1:25 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:56 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spaceace
presumably you need a UK credit card?
No. I always book my with my TD visa card.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so just an update on this thread i booked 2 flights for my wife and son on the phone today with the UK office. They will be travelling from Vancouver to London and back. There was no problem with the booking and i paid using a Canadian Visa card. (there was a 2% credit card charge)

Total quoted travelling in July was 736 UKP per person including seat selection fee. Roughly 1150 CAD on todays exchange rate.

Had i booked it on the Canadian website the cost per person including seat selection fee was 1488 CAD!!!

Definitely worth phoning UK
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Shonas mum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I booked flights return Calgary-Manchester for five..it was 900 pounds cheaper when i rang London than trying to book here in Canada.
wish I'd known that - only Canadian Affair and partners go direct from Calgary to Glasgow once a week and I have just paid an arm and a leg to get home for my daughter's wedding in July - nearly twice cost of coming other way when taxes etc are added on
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

MadeInDorset is an unknown quantity at this point

Am looking at visiting Blighty sometime late June and after reading peoples success at getting cheaper flights by calling the London office I thought I would give it a go. Armed with the price from canadianaffair.ca I called the London office and was quoted the exact same amount. Therefore when calling the London office is there anything in particular one should request to achieve these savings? Or is it just the luck of the draw?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:05 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MadeInDorset
Am looking at visiting Blighty sometime late June and after reading peoples success at getting cheaper flights by calling the London office I thought I would give it a go. Armed with the price from canadianaffair.ca I called the London office and was quoted the exact same amount. Therefore when calling the London office is there anything in particular one should request to achieve these savings? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

Try calling the Glasgow office. I called them back in Jan(from Canada) and got a quote for 2 adults, 2 kids flying from Van - Man, and it worked out $1100 CDN cheaper!

Gotta be worth a try?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Exact same amount in Canadian dollars? They obviously quoted you in Pounds Sterling so did you convert it yourself to dollars?
Anyway i tried the London number and got no answer from the other end so called Glasgow and a person answered almost immediately, i was shocked, i expected the auto answering machine and a wait time.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:11 am
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

I had the same thing happen earlier this year, was happy with the service over the phone and wanted to use £ in the UK to book but saw very little difference in the price quoted from the UK compared to the .ca site. It felt like they were just looking at the .co.uk site and reading numbers.

I did some calcs back in the other thread on the same topic. Was amazed at what people were quoting as getting and I didn't get anything like the same deal.

Not sure if it's a route thing, or a timing thing. Either way Calgary-Glasgow in June was what didn't work for me.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:56 am
Just Joined

MadeInDorset is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by printer
Exact same amount in Canadian dollars? They obviously quoted you in Pounds Sterling so did you convert it yourself to dollars?
Anyway i tried the London number and got no answer from the other end so called Glasgow and a person answered almost immediately, i was shocked, i expected the auto answering machine and a wait time.
Nope, she quoted me the figure in Canadian dollars, to the cents what was presented on the website, almost as though she opened up canadianaffair.ca
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, she quoted me the figure in Canadian dollars, to the cents what was presented on the website, almost as though she opened up canadianaffair.ca
How odd - we've always been quoted the price in pounds when we've booked via the UK. Did you ask for the dollar price, or did she give you that automatically?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.