British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Flights Manchester to Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/flights-manchester-calgary-898411/)

portseven Jun 23rd 2017 4:43 pm

Flights Manchester to Calgary
 
Hi

We have been flying from Manchester to Calgary for years with the usual suspects (Canada3000, Transat, Thomas Cook, etc)

I am trying to book a flight for later this year, and nothing was coming up, so I rang Canadian Affair, and they said that the airlines have now stopped flying Direct from the UK Regional Airports to Calgary now and you can only go via Gatwick

Is that right? Doesn't seem so, it must make commercial sense, as all the flights we have been on were full.

Siouxie Jun 23rd 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 
Hello and welcome to BE!

Looking on Air Transats website (UK) it shows flights from Manchester to Calgary up until October 31st, though I did notice that there are only 3-4 flights a week as the year goes on.. I believe they usually stop direct flights over the winter months - they start direct flights again in May.

https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/che...YC&pax=1-0-0-0

:)

Stinkypup Jun 23rd 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12279168)
Hello and welcome to BE!

Looking on Air Transats website (UK) it shows flights from Manchester to Calgary up until October 31st, though I did notice that there are only 3-4 flights a week as the year goes on.. I believe they usually stop direct flights over the winter months - they start direct flights again in May.

https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/che...YC&pax=1-0-0-0

:)

Yeah its a right royal pain- we tried to fly back from Manchester at Spring break but there were no flights :thumbdown:

jennellapea Jun 24th 2017 12:42 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 
It's so annoying, especially if you do end up going to Gatwick, there's no direct flight to Manchester anymore (or the last time I looked, BA moved all the flights to Heathrow).

Stinkypup Jun 24th 2017 12:53 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 

Originally Posted by jennellapea (Post 12279417)
It's so annoying, especially if you do end up going to Gatwick, there's no direct flight to Manchester anymore (or the last time I looked, BA moved all the flights to Heathrow).

BA dont fly from Heathrow to here- Air Transat does, but as Siouxie says , just over the Summer- I agree- it is a pain. We flew AC->LHR, visiited family, drove up to Manchester then flew BA to LHR and then back home- it is a pain.

jennellapea Jun 24th 2017 2:21 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12279421)
BA dont fly from Heathrow to here- Air Transat does, but as Siouxie says , just over the Summer- I agree- it is a pain. We flew AC->LHR, visiited family, drove up to Manchester then flew BA to LHR and then back home- it is a pain.

Western Canada gets the short straw for Europe (can kinda see why but we have the slopes in the winter!). Iceland air are going to be going from Vancouver year round starting later this year, do they fly from Calgary too? I know from Iceland you can get to Manchester.

Next time I go back I'm gonna look at an alternative route to LHR. When I went back last year I booked with BA. Thought it'd be simple as they have their own terminal. Nope! The Vancouver flight lands at a totally different one. :rofl:

Stinkypup Jun 24th 2017 3:06 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 
We flew Manchester- Reyjavik - Edmonton- Kelowna last year- loved the Icelandair flight- we managed to get in their version of Business class but paying for Premium economy, use of the lounge in Reyjavik... They do use 767s which aren't the most modern of planes but it was good nonetheless. We stopped off for 2 weeks in Iceland to break up the flight :lol:

plasticcanuck Jun 25th 2017 2:40 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 
Doesn't seem so, it must make commercial sense, as all the flights we have been on were full.

With due respect that's like saying, and I've heard it many times, 'they must have money because they have their own business'.

portseven Jun 26th 2017 8:42 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just had it confirmed from them

Hi! We have indeed stopped our direct flights from Manchester to Calgary. We still offer those flights with a stop in Toronto.


Shakyuk Jun 26th 2017 9:42 am

Re: Flights Manchester to Calgary
 

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12279442)
We stopped off for 2 weeks in Iceland to break up the flight :lol:


Ha! Now that is breaking up a flight!


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.