Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights WITH DOG (cargo) UK to Halifax NS - can it be done?

Flights WITH DOG (cargo) UK to Halifax NS - can it be done?

Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights WITH DOG (cargo) UK to Halifax NS - can it be done?

Originally Posted by glb19
All of this confuses me SO much no matter how many times I've looked into it. We'll be moving to Halifax any time between January-June next year (depending on when PR comes through, house sells, job acquired etc... the joys), and am I correct in understanding that the 737 Max 8 aircraft that flies LHR-YHZ does not have a heated hold? So that even if we used it in June time, they'd be flying in 2 degree temperatures? (not happening...)

Also, does anyone know if two animals can fly in one crate? We have two small indoor cats that are only 3kg each. They've never been separated and think it would stress them out being in separate crates. (And before anyone asks, no we won't want to take them in the cabin with us).
Typically only if the animals are young, Air Canada for instance only permits animals under 6 months and under 20 pounds each to travel with 2 in a kennel, over 6 months each animal needs their own kennel.

The one per kennel rule for animals over 6 months has been standard at airlines I have worked with, but double check with whatever airline you choose as rules can vary.

Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Magiscribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Yes, also $600 one way car hire fee for us Toronto to Halifax. £380ish, which is quite reasonable considering the length of the return journey.
We are now looking at flying into Toronto due to the small concern with Montreal Landing.. Air Transat probably going to be the best option.. Best I have found for a standard SUV for a one week one way hire is 1000 dollars....
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:22 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Both Air Canada and WestJet fly the 737Max on London-Halifax year round.
I though Westjet only flew Gatwick to Halifax April-October? I had a quick look and couldn’t see any direct flights outside those months.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magiscribe
We are now looking at flying into Toronto due to the small concern with Montreal Landing.. Air Transat probably going to be the best option.. Best I have found for a standard SUV for a one week one way hire is 1000 dollars....
Try Alamo - picking up Monday at Pearson, dropping off Wednesday afternoon Halifax - standard SUV $404 - unlimited kilometers... or $882 for a week.
do you really need it for 1 week? Kayak have similar offers from other companies...https://www.ca.kayak.com/cars/YYZ-a1...17?sort=rank_a

It might be cheaper for whichever of you will be the driver to get the shuttle into Toronto and pick up the vehicle there - you will pay a premium collecting from Pearson.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 20th 2019 at 12:32 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Magiscribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Try Alamo - picking up Monday at Pearson, dropping off Wednesday afternoon Halifax - standard SUV $404 - unlimited kilometers... or $882 for a week.
do you really need it for 1 week? Kayak have similar offers from other companies...https://www.ca.kayak.com/cars/YYZ-a1...17?sort=rank_a

It might be cheaper for whichever of you will be the driver to get the shuttle into Toronto and pick up the vehicle there - you will pay a premium collecting from Pearson.

Thanks Siouxie... Will definitely look at that as an option. 👍😀
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:05 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82

I though Westjet only flew Gatwick to Halifax April-October? I had a quick look and couldn’t see any direct flights outside those months.
You may be right. The point I was really trying to convey is that both airlines, when they do fly between Halifax and London fly the 737 Max and that, it seems, has implications on cargo and pet capacity. Given that, if you need to fly your dogs on a bigger aircraft, then you need to fly to another destination.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Westjet is April > October only London > Halifax direct, and they don't allow pets to/from the UK regardless of what plane they are running.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

glb19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Typically only if the animals are young, Air Canada for instance only permits animals under 6 months and under 20 pounds each to travel with 2 in a kennel, over 6 months each animal needs their own kennel.

The one per kennel rule for animals over 6 months has been standard at airlines I have worked with, but double check with whatever airline you choose as rules can vary.
Ah that's too bad. I'll be sure to double check though with whichever airline when the time comes. Thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to be aware of when travelling with animals in Canada is that many hotels and motels do NOT allow animals in the rooms, and/or have a surcharge.

Others are pet friendly, or restrict animals to certain rooms.

Something to be aware of when looking to stop overnight on a drive from Toronto to Halifax.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the 737 max - that was the reason that I had to drive from Calgary to Winnipeg - the huge crate will not fit through the cargo door, apparently.

As for hotels, don’t be too worried - I had no trouble finding pet friendly ones for my trip - we used executive royal in Calgary and Regina and the were excellent. I had listed several others as backups too.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart Adamson
Regarding the 737 max - that was the reason that I had to drive from Calgary to Winnipeg - the huge crate will not fit through the cargo door, apparently.

As for hotels, don’t be too worried - I had no trouble finding pet friendly ones for my trip - we used executive royal in Calgary and Regina and the were excellent. I had listed several others as backups too.
The other poster makes it seem way more difficult then reality. We have traveled with our dog both in Canada and US and never had an issue finding pet friendly hotels. Every hotel I have ever worked at have allowed pets as well.

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'd say around 60% of hotels do allow dogs. However, many do charge a one-time fee regardless of duration for extra clean up, which can vary from $10 and upwards (have seen $35).

Also, some do have restrictions, for example only one dog. It pays to check the hotels terms online and do your homework. But finding should not be a huge problem. At least it appears that way, lol! We have not got there yet so, for us, all theoretical based on our research.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 5:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.petfriendly.ca/
Self explanatory - lists hotels, motels etc.,
Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

https://www.bringfido.com/

They guarantee you are booking a pet-friendly room by booking with them, and they are as cheap as booking.com in most instances. They give details that are hard to find otherwise on the hotels pet policy, and when you book with them you know you are getting a pet-friendly room and you don't have to follow your booking with a phone call to tell them you're coming with a pet.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I have given up on using booking.com or any other such site ............. I've discovered that you can usually get rooms cheaper by phoning the hotel direct. AND you can discuss any special requirement(s) with someone who knows exactly what the hotel can and will provide.

Plus we usually also get an upgrade when we arrive at the hotel.

Jsmith posted .........

The other poster makes it seem way more difficult then reality. We have traveled with our dog both in Canada and US and never had an issue finding pet friendly hotels. Every hotel I have ever worked at have allowed pets as well.
I always state things based on personal experience.

We do not have any pet, but I always take note of what requirements hotels or transit have.

It is a fact that most of the hotels we stay at either have a no pets policy,, a restricted pets policy, and/or an additional fee. Some even add that they will charge your credit card if the room needs extra cleaning.

It's almost as bad as getting a room where you can smoke!!!

BTW ....

..........."the other poster" sounds so unfriendly and cold!

Last edited by scilly; Feb 25th 2019 at 8:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.