Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights WITH DOG (cargo) UK to Halifax NS - can it be done?

Flights WITH DOG (cargo) UK to Halifax NS - can it be done?

Old Dec 13th 2018, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights WITH DOG (cargo) UK to Halifax NS - can it be done?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
Note that in 2016 AC flew 767 aircraft on the London - Halifax route. They now fly the 737Max which has a much smaller cargo capacity. That may play into ability to accommodate a large pet.
Good info - yes, it may well indeed!!
Old Dec 13th 2018, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses View Post
When we looked into itbwe got quotes from several pet transport companies, but the one we chose really gave us the confidence that they deeply cared for the animals in their charge.
For our reptiles they designed three different back up heating systems so that they would stay warm enough in their boxes on the flight, all of the other pet transport companies just planned to put disposable heat packs in with them. It was that extra care which was so reassuring. They weren't the most expensive either, their quote was average.
Thank you for the info. We've contacted them to get a quote :-)

For us the quotes are coming in £1,200 - £1,800 not including crate (we have one already, IATA spec, bought specifically for this trip, 120cm x 81cm x 90cm - this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/L120-approved-Luxx-airline-carrier/dp/B01CCYJ6NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544708299&sr=8-1&keywords=l120+iata)

We're also doing the fit to fly check with Defra certificate at our vets a couple of days beforehand, so they're not doing that either. So nice easy job for them!!
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The approximate dimensions for 737 max cargo door, gives and idea of what can fit into the belly.

Forward hold
48 in./122cm wide
51 in./129.5 cm tall

Aft hold
48 in./122 cm wide
48 in./122 cm tall

but the door opens inward making a usable height of roughly 33 in.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Pompey2NovaScotia is an unknown quantity at this point

In 2013, we flew from Gatwick to Halifax with our dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback). We flew with AirTransat and used a company called Pets Away... I can honestly recommend both! However, we flew in May and I believe they don't allow dogs in the hold during winter months due to the cold temperatures.

It was a nerve racking experience as our dog suffers from seperation anxiety at the best of times, but it only took one week before she stopped giving us the cold shoulder treatment...!
Old Feb 18th 2019, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Magiscribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry to jump in on the thread but we have the same issue...Chocolate Labrador weighing 37 kg needing to travel with us. We are heading to New Brunswick so Halifax would have been perfect. We are looking at early May this year. Both West Jet and Air Canada use the Boeing 737-800 max which has the restricted hold access as mentioned above. Any item higher than 31 or 32 inches would need to be turned sideways or angled to get through....if it can’t get through the cargo door they will not take it. Pretty certain they wouldn’t even attempt angling a combined weight of 60 odd kg....Our only real option is to fly into Montreal...Options available are Air Transat (Airbus A310-300) or British Airways (Boeing Dreamliner) we have been quoted either £1250 or £1680.00 respectively. My personal choice would be the Dreamliner ...however finances may dictate Air Transat!

my biggest concern is how long we are likely to have to wait in between touching down and Sookie being taken to the Cargo area and us being able to get through the immigration landing process at Montreal, picking up the hire car and then getting Sookie...has anyone been through this?
Old Feb 18th 2019, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi Magiscribe

I can offer some partial help on this. For us (going to Haliax) we are actually going to fly to Toronto and then drive to Haliafx from there as we don't want to put our dog through a second flights. We considered Montreal as it's 12 hours rather than 18, but were concerned about immigration not going how it should if we land there as Quebec have completely different immigration laws/system, and we will be landing as Canadian Residents without a card but a foil in our passports. So we thought best be safe and land in a part of Canada that has the same regs we signed up for!!

We did the landing process February of last year, and we did this at Toronto. Not sure how it compares to Montreal airport, but I would imagine Toronto would be a little busier, but on the flip side maybe has more immigration staff on hand? Time-wise it may vary depending on time of day landing etc, but for us took around 1.5 hours I would say. The actual 'interview' took less than 10 minutes, five probably! BUt a lot of queing!! Maybe an hour? But from memory seemed to drag on, so it took us 1-1.5 hours approximately

But that was Toronto. Might be of some help though?

So, from the airplane touching down you have to clear through passport control which can take some time, then immigration for landing (as I assume from your post you are doing it all in one go). You'll then have to go to customs and present your goods to follow list and get the stamped paperwork. That took us 30 minutes, but it was quiet when we arrived. And of course immigration, allow at least an hour.

Then, go to the car hire place and sign the papers, load the car etc. Another 30 minutes

Then find the place to collect from cargo, which I have been advised is not easy to find for us at Toronto, so 30 minutes there.

So could be 3 hours from touch down by the time you have done everything as long as all goes smoothly. And that does not count the time walking around the airport, which can add up!!

Hope this is of some use.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Magiscribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
Hi Magiscribe

I can offer some partial help on this. For us (going to Haliax) we are actually going to fly to Toronto and then drive to Haliafx from there as we don't want to put our dog through a second flights. We considered Montreal as it's 12 hours rather than 18, but were concerned about immigration not going how it should if we land there as Quebec have completely different immigration laws/system, and we will be landing as Canadian Residents without a card but a foil in our passports. So we thought best be safe and land in a part of Canada that has the same regs we signed up for!!

We did the landing process February of last year, and we did this at Toronto. Not sure how it compares to Montreal airport, but I would imagine Toronto would be a little busier, but on the flip side maybe has more immigration staff on hand? Time-wise it may vary depending on time of day landing etc, but for us took around 1.5 hours I would say. The actual 'interview' took less than 10 minutes, five probably! BUt a lot of queing!! Maybe an hour? But from memory seemed to drag on, so it took us 1-1.5 hours approximately

But that was Toronto. Might be of some help though?

So, from the airplane touching down you have to clear through passport control which can take some time, then immigration for landing (as I assume from your post you are doing it all in one go). You'll then have to go to customs and present your goods to follow list and get the stamped paperwork. That took us 30 minutes, but it was quiet when we arrived. And of course immigration, allow at least an hour.

Then, go to the car hire place and sign the papers, load the car etc. Another 30 minutes

Then find the place to collect from cargo, which I have been advised is not easy to find for us at Toronto, so 30 minutes there.

So could be 3 hours from touch down by the time you have done everything as long as all goes smoothly. And that does not count the time walking around the airport, which can add up!!

Hope this is of some use.
Thanks for the info LionHeart..we queried on the forum about undertaking our landing at Montreal and Former Lancastrian offered advice that we should be fine as we are not intending to settle in Quebec and our COPR shows we are under the AIPP program heading to New Brunswick. We will also have one way car hire (about 7 hours to final destination from Montreal...would need to drive past Montreal if we landed in Toronto), a month stay at BandB booked and confirmation of employment within New Brunswick so hoping that all of that shows our intention not to settle in Quebec.

have you booked with Air Transat for the flights?
Old Feb 18th 2019, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

We have not booked yet, but yes Air Transat for us. We have to book the dogs flight first, and once confirmed we then book on to the same flight.

By comparison, even if the Air Canada Halifax direct flight DID have a heated hold (which it does not apparently) the flights were circa £1,500 EACH compared to £300 each with Air Transat. So £3,000 vs £600. So we're £2,400 up, which should more than cover the 18 hour drive, two hotels etc!!

So we don't mind it too much now :-)
Old Feb 18th 2019, 5:41 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

We have not booked yet, but yes Air Transat for us. We have to book the dogs flight first, and once confirmed we then book on to the same flight.

By comparison, even if the Air Canada Halifax direct flight DID have a heated hold (which it does not apparently) the flights were circa £1,500 EACH compared to £300 each with Air Transat. So £3,000 vs £600. So we're £2,400 up, which should more than cover the 18 hour drive, two hotels etc!!

So we don't mind it too much now :-)
Have you factored in one-way car rental charges, or have you managed to find a rental company that doesn't charge?

We might potentially be doing this same journey with dogs next year, and a quick search with Canadian Affair for picking up at Pearson and dropping off in downtown Halifax threw up one-way charges of $1,300 CAD. Sneakily, they add in smaller print that this is "payable locally".

UPDATE: Managed to find it for $600 CAD or so in total on some other car rental sites so doesn't seem too bad and is understandable considering the charges they will incur for moving vehicles to where they need to be.

Last edited by crofty82; Feb 18th 2019 at 5:51 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Yes, also $600 one way car hire fee for us Toronto to Halifax. £380ish, which is quite reasonable considering the length of the return journey.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

glb19 is an unknown quantity at this point

All of this confuses me SO much no matter how many times I've looked into it. We'll be moving to Halifax any time between January-June next year (depending on when PR comes through, house sells, job acquired etc... the joys), and am I correct in understanding that the 737 Max 8 aircraft that flies LHR-YHZ does not have a heated hold? So that even if we used it in June time, they'd be flying in 2 degree temperatures? (not happening...)

Also, does anyone know if two animals can fly in one crate? We have two small indoor cats that are only 3kg each. They've never been separated and think it would stress them out being in separate crates. (And before anyone asks, no we won't want to take them in the cabin with us).
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

I'm not sure which plane is used on the London > Halifax route by Air Canada, but we have been advised from the pet travel company and Air Canada themselves that this plan on this route does not have the heated hold and so does not take pets.

West Jet also run flights April > October London > Halifax direct, but they do not allow pets full stop flying in and out of certain destinations, which includes the UK.

Companies like Lufthansa who also advertise direct flights on this route are actually still Air Canada. Same plane, same flight. Check the flight number.

So definitely not an option for us to fly to Haliax direct with our dog. Simply not possible on the current Air Canada flight set up.

Also, worth comparing costs. Air Canada £1,500 per person. Flights to Toronto Air Transat £300 per person. Probably similar cost to Montreal?

Can't help on the two pets on case part. Not certain, sorry. You'd need to speak to a pet transport company. I would expect a no, but you never know.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

glb19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interestingly enough I've just remembered that when I had a nosey at quotes with PetAir 6 months ago for that route, they provided me a full quote with Air Canada from LHR to to YHZ... at that point AC had already changed to the narrowbody aircraft for that route (which is the Boeing 737 Max 8) and they didn't mention anything to me about pets not being able to fly on it.

Think I'll send them a query about it and see what they say about it. Strange!
Old Feb 19th 2019, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, that is strange. They may find when they actually try to book the pet in on that flight that they cannot.

Also, pets can fly in the passenger compartment. Very small pets. Dogs only I think?

Be sure to post the outcome here!!!
Old Feb 19th 2019, 2:43 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure which plane is used on the London > Halifax route by Air Canada,.
Both Air Canada and WestJet fly the 737Max on London-Halifax year round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.