Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights Booked and a question!

Flights Booked and a question!

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough
Default Flights Booked and a question!

So have finally pressed the "ENTER" button to confirm our booking for
March 2012.

Just starting to do my list to do before leaving and the Immunizations was one.

Will the red book suffice for the boys which has all their imms in them to date or do I have to get the form that was given in the return pack with the passport filled in by the GP?

I have to express am ***t scared with this move and wondering if its the right, have waited sooooo long (5 1/2 years to be precise) for the visa and now the time has come am totally crapping it. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

AliceApple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights Booked and a question!

I phoned up our doctors and they just printed me off a list of all their immunizations since birth - I also took the red books just in case. But the schools didnt ask for them which I thought they did.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 12:28 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the same for us as AliceApple said. Our doctors gave us a print out showing all the info too and I also carried the red books with us but that was more for my peace of mind than anything else and, again, the schools never asked to see any records.

It was only recently that I provided the school nurse with a copy of their immunization record so she could see what additional shots they would need here as there a some variations to what they would have in the UK.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 4:40 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mhut
I have to express am ***t scared with this move and wondering if its the right, have waited sooooo long (5 1/2 years to be precise) for the visa and now the time has come am totally crapping it. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
What bits precisely - all moves of this type I think are terrifying. I have lived in a number of other countries and cultures, but have never 'emigrated' before, 'before' I've just moved my bags and bagages, and now I'm moving my child and animals and feelings. I have made peace with myself, and you have had time to do the same.... what are you unsure of? Is it that you have waited so (too? ) long? Have a big think and a big discussion with your familly.

Why did you make the application in the first place? It took time, and effort, so you must have had a good wind behind you to do it in the first place - try to think back and remember why???
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

For our girls, we got the practice nurse to fill in the form, but also have used photocopies of the entries in the red book - I worked on a belts and braces approach....
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi,

We leave for Toronto in two weeks

Driving to Devon for Christmas tomorrow and then, on our return,a huge "to do" list to cross off.

We took the printed form in to our GP surgery and they completed it.

No great words of wisdom...just try to break things down into manageable chunks. I have a notebook and each night I make a list of things to do the next day and cross it off as I go.

We haven't had a huge farewell party ( not our thing) but obviously that's a personal choice. I have found it easier to say my goodbyes spaced over a period and with different groups of people...dinner with some, afternoon tea with others etc. it's still hard but hasn't seemed so final.

Relax and enjoy Christmas...Good luck!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Bring more money
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 3:01 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deeny
Hi,

Driving to Devon for Christmas tomorrow and then, on our return,a huge "to do" list to cross off.

No great words of wisdom...just try to break things down into manageable chunks. I have a notebook and each night I make a list of things to do the next day and cross it off as I go.

We haven't had a huge farewell party ( not our thing) but obviously that's a personal choice. I have found it easier to say my goodbyes spaced over a period and with different groups of people...dinner with some, afternoon tea with others etc. it's still hard but hasn't seemed so final.

You sound exactly like us one year ago, even the Devon bit is the same, lol

Good Luck and enjoy the adventure!

BTW wouldn't worry too much about snow gear there's hardly any damn snow pretty much everywhere!!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowcandy
You sound exactly like us one year ago, even the Devon bit is the same, lol

Good Luck and enjoy the adventure!

BTW wouldn't worry too much about snow gear there's hardly any damn snow pretty much everywhere!!
Thanks,

I think it's going to take longer to do the journey to Devon than Toronto

Glad about the lack of snow as we are woefully unprepared; plan is to buy there as necessary, hoping the shops won't be full of Spring gear on Boxing Day!

Have a great Christmas.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that Aliceapple, TheThornes and Chookie
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Bring more money
LOL trying my best, Ebay has been great with being able to pay for the flights from the monies collected on there for selling what we call clutter and junk

Mhut
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
What bits precisely - all moves of this type I think are terrifying. I have lived in a number of other countries and cultures, but have never 'emigrated' before, 'before' I've just moved my bags and bagages, and now I'm moving my child and animals and feelings. I have made peace with myself, and you have had time to do the same.... what are you unsure of? Is it that you have waited so (too? ) long? Have a big think and a big discussion with your familly.

Why did you make the application in the first place? It took time, and effort, so you must have had a good wind behind you to do it in the first place - try to think back and remember why???
I just go through pangs of so called anxiety and then feel of real happiness and then OMG what have I done, sometimes I think I am going crazy. It is the thought of the unknown cuz until you live somewhere (which seems like paradise) you never really know. Keep saying to myself "think positive" "calm down" and my boys favorite is "mummy uuuuuuusaaaaaaaah"
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deeny
Hi,

Hey Deeny,

Thanks for that, our farewell is pretty much planned the way that you have done it. I think the notebook idea seems like a sensible thing to do, so am gonna take that approach as I find myself awake half the night thinking of the list and then end up forgetting it all by morning

Might PM you if I have any further twangs of OMG's

Where are you guys heading to?

A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR

Mhut
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

LOL trying my best, Ebay has been great with being able to pay for the flights from the monies collected on there for selling what we call clutter and junk

Mhut
We hoped we could scrape by on $30k for our 9 month stay but we think it's going to be closer to $45 so just trying to prepare you for the initial setting up costs. You get more for your money when buying a house and the cost of gas/petrol is cheaper but everything else seems more expensive (the weekly shop, second hand cars, cable TV, mobile/cell phone contracts) We're still very new to all this so may find cheaper deals as we gain experience.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

So have finally pressed the "ENTER" button to confirm our booking for
March 2012.

Just starting to do my list to do before leaving and the Immunizations was one.

Will the red book suffice for the boys which has all their imms in them to date or do I have to get the form that was given in the return pack with the passport filled in by the GP?

Many thanks.
lol pretty much where we are at atm :P
trying to work through a huge list of to-do's
When in March do you go? We fly out on 17th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.