Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights booked, landing 26th July

Flights booked, landing 26th July

Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Flights booked, landing 26th August

I have just booked our flights to come over to activate PR cards etc, but we are only staying for 11 days before returning home.

Air Canada, Heathrow to calgary, £1380 return for 3 of us! Much cheaper than the charter airlines (if you left it late like me).

Must sort out car hire, hotels, bank account, places to visit etc next.

Any downtown hotel recomendations would be welcome for 2 or 3 nights as I would like to see what the city has to offer before moving further afield.

Last edited by Wearsider; Jul 7th 2009 at 8:14 am.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Cool Re: Flights booked, landing 26th July

Good luck with your landing and activating PR, hope it goes well, am also looking forward to mines as well..

MR79
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:12 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flights booked, landing 26th August

Originally Posted by Wearsider
I have just booked our flights to come over to activate PR cards etc, but we are only staying for 11 days before returning home.

Air Canada, Heathrow to calgary, £1380 return for 3 of us! Much cheaper than the charter airlines (if you left it late like me).

Any downtown hotel recomendations would be welcome for 2 or 3 nights as I would like to see what the city has to offer before moving further afield.

Good luck with the landing we stayed at the Sandman downtown as a cheap alternative. Do NOT stay there we had money stolen and a few other things that were really disappointing!! Im sure someone will know a better hotel, Just don't stay there.

We used budget for car hire they were pretty good.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice
Default Re: Flights booked, landing 26th July

When we were over we stayed at Carriage House Inn, not downtown but about 10-15 mins away. Hotel justifies the phrase "dont judge book by cover" when we arrived we thought a bit run down but once you got inside it was all modern and the staff very friendly. So would highly recommend.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:15 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Good luck with the landing we stayed at the Sandman downtown as a cheap alternative. Do NOT stay there we had money stolen and a few other things that were really disappointing!! Im sure someone will know a better hotel, Just don't stay there.

We used budget for car hire they were pretty good.
Originally Posted by md5037
When we were over we stayed at Carriage House Inn, not downtown but about 10-15 mins away. Hotel justifies the phrase "dont judge book by cover" when we arrived we thought a bit run down but once you got inside it was all modern and the staff very friendly. So would highly recommend.
Agreed with both of the above.

Book this one and I can wave at you from my Balcony
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...yType=Location

Having just done a search on Expedia (assuming you want to be 'downtown') it is also your best bet (price and location).
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes with the landing and congratulations for getting to the back end of the process.

Glad to see that mclauchlan35 has relayed his Sandman experience. He told us about it while he was here - Sandman don't appear to have covered themselves in glory there.

When we came over on a research trip, we stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites on Macleod Trail. It's about a 10 minute walk to 39th Ave C Train station that will have you into downtown in short order. Palatial it wasn't but it was certainly fairly functional. There's a Thrifty car hire place on site too that seems fairly reasonably priced (in so far as any car hire here is reasonably priced).

Beyond that, we know a number of short-term accommodation options in Calgary and surrounds and B&B's too, so if you want details of any of those, just drop us a PM.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:57 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how old you are, the Westin has a deal right now where you pay full price for one night and then the year you were born for the other two...could be a bargain if you were born in the 30's or 40's!!! Nice comfy beds and pretty centrally located for all the downtown stuff.
http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....OP_US_WI_1078&

If you are au fait with how Priceline works, there are some good deals on at the moment and people have been getting the Hyatt at a pretty decent rate.

Another reasonable area for hotels is Motel Village, which is right opposite Banff Trail C-Train Station (NW). Most of the cheap and cheerful chains are here e.g. HoJo, Comfort Inn, etc, plus some restaurants, plus free parking for the car if you want to take transit downtown.

For car hire, we have used these all in the past, mainly because we got an all-inclusive price with the insurances, mileages, etc:

www.canadian-affair.com
www.carhire3000.com
www.wheelsabroad.com

Have fun!

Flossie
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:07 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Agreed with both of the above.

Book this one and I can wave at you from my Balcony
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...yType=Location

Having just done a search on Expedia (assuming you want to be 'downtown') it is also your best bet (price and location).
I was just going to recommend this hotel but Butch beat me to it! I work directly opposite this Best Western and they have recently just done a refurbishment and it's very clean and tidy (we use it for visiting clients) - Butch is right it's got the best price and location of a "downtown" hotel.

Enjoy your visit! J
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

volovolo1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wearsider

Wow ! We'll be on the same plane as you. Also will be activating our PR. What a coincidence.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by volovolo1973
Wow ! We'll be on the same plane as you. Also will be activating our PR. What a coincidence.
Congratulations to you too volo...etc. Nice to get to the end of the process isn't it!

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by volovolo1973
It depends what date

I have 26th July on the Forum front page and 26th August once you open the page. August 26th is the correct date.

Happy landing either way.