Flights

Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights

Originally Posted by DeanN
Thanks for that tip. I did look into it shortly after and the information I found seemed to suggest that the flight delay compensation only applied if the airline was based in an EU country, which Air Transat are not. But if you were able to get compensation for a delay with Air Canada flight then I might have been misinformed previously. Will look into it again.
It applies to EU based airlines or flights with non EU carriers departing the EU. Do you know why it was delayed? Presumably an aircraft fault?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
It applies to EU based airlines or flights with non EU carriers departing the EU. Do you know why it was delayed? Presumably an aircraft fault?
The initial five hour delay was due to a late inbound flight, which was, according to Air Transat, due to weather conditions in Canada. The second five hour delay was a mechanical problem with the aircraft.

This is helpful and hopeful though... if I get anything back I owe a few drinks at the next Toronto meetup.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that tip. I did look into it shortly after and the information I found seemed to suggest that the flight delay compensation only applied if the airline was based in an EU country, which Air Transat are not. But if you were able to get compensation for a delay with Air Canada flight then I might have been misinformed previously. Will look into it again.
EU261 delay compensation is for flights originating from EU countries irrespective of where the airline is based.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is not always the airline! Imagine dealing with some of the issues staff and crews have to deal with on a daily basis.

I recall having to return to the airport, we had multiple bird strikes just as we were rotating, only one way we could go, up. One engine very bad, one not doing so well. As we only had two, this was not panning out too well. Lost the airspeed indicator, so speed was a guess, overloaded, had to dump fuel. Cabin shaking due to impeller damage in one engine, pax a little upset. All ends well, we get on the ground no injuries, only to be berated for not going around the birds (a few thousand of them) and who was going to feed the cats back home because they were supposed to be home that night.

Unreasonable pax behavior happens somewhere, on a daily basis.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
EU261 delay compensation is for flights originating from EU countries irrespective of where the airline is based.
Also check travel insurance mine had compensation for delays of more than 90 mins and also for a delay that resulted in a missed connection etc.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is not always the airline! Imagine dealing with some of the issues staff and crews have to deal with on a daily basis.

I recall having to return to the airport, we had multiple bird strikes just as we were rotating, only one way we could go, up. One engine very bad, one not doing so well. As we only had two, this was not panning out too well. Lost the airspeed indicator, so speed was a guess, overloaded, had to dump fuel. Cabin shaking due to impeller damage in one engine, pax a little upset. All ends well, we get on the ground no injuries, only to be berated for not going around the birds (a few thousand of them) and who was going to feed the cats back home because they were supposed to be home that night.

Unreasonable pax behavior happens somewhere, on a daily basis.

Wow! Pretty high pucker factor on that one then!!!!

Of course you just had to take it and couldn't say 'do you have the remotest idea how lucky we are to be having this conversation!'

I recall the sharp intakes of breath and a few stifled screams when a 737 I was on did a simple go-around (probably coz someone was a bit slow in clearing the runway)!

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Mar 30th 2017 at 10:10 am.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

The initial five hour delay was due to a late inbound flight, which was, according to Air Transat, due to weather conditions in Canada. The second five hour delay was a mechanical problem with the aircraft.

This is helpful and hopeful though... if I get anything back I owe a few drinks at the next Toronto meetup.
You should be eligible if the second delay was mechanical failure. Delay due to bad weather is not any fault of the airline.

Look on Moneysavingexpert.com and look at their letter templates for claiming compensation. Amend one and send it off recorded to Air Transat.

Otherwise, PM me your email address and I will send you a copy of the letter we used. We got the full compensation available (as you should for a 5 hour delay) which is 600 euros per passenger.

Whilst I don't really like the compensation culture and believe the airlines are trying their best, the 14 hours on the aircraft on a flight to Toronto was pretty painful with a child about to turn two years old, so I didn't feel too bad claiming.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Air Canada from Heathrow to Montreal last year on our recce trip, and it was pretty good. I was expecting it to be painful - we went with a three year old and 10 month old twins - but it was fine. Staff were really helpful, price was the cheapest we saw anywhere, everything was on time, luggage allowance was decent.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:22 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting at Terminal 3 Manchester for BA flight to LHR- Terminal is very descriptive
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie73
This depends on the plane. The last time we flew to London, the flight over had the overhead screens but we had individual screens on the flight home. The overhead screens suck when you've been flying with individual screens for years. It was like going back in time.
i booked my Air Transat flight just over a week ago - paid £696 return for whole of UK summer holidays.
Spoke to Air Transat airline direct (on the 0207.... UK number) about the flight/plane and if i needed to upgrade to Club Class for legroom/comfy seats etc

they advised to travel from LGW instead as the planes are larger than those leaving Manchester which means that i wouldn't have to upgrade. Also said that larger planes have individual entertainment screens
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OtherDave
We flew Air Canada from Heathrow to Montreal last year on our recce trip, and it was pretty good. I was expecting it to be painful - we went with a three year old and 10 month old twins - but it was fine. Staff were really helpful, price was the cheapest we saw anywhere, everything was on time, luggage allowance was decent.
How was Recce trip?

Was it what you expected?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
Just back using Air Transat flights. Awful, awful, awful. Hideously uncomfortable seats. Food was a heated up sub, same menu served for both meals. Very few liquids provided s make sure you take water and food on with you. My gluten free food was inedible. They have "mood" lighting which means just as you are falling asleep the light colours change and so you wake. There are only ceiling mounted tv screens. No choice of movie and no subtitles available.
The staff are friendly and helpful but don't really have much opportunity to help.
I'll never willingly fly with them again
sorry you had such poor experience!
fingers crossed that they will have got their act together for my flight over the summer.

when you say just back, do you mean to Canada? if so, how do you find the gluten free food in Canada?

I am wheat/gluten intolerant but it seems that my intolerance is to British wheat (apparently they use something called 'round up' to make the wheat look better, bigger etc! i can eat wheat abroad generally no problem; e.g french and turkish wheat)
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:11 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

air canada isn't exactly known for its high quality gluten free food. My celiac brother was mildly disgusted at the fish in tomato sauce that they served him for breakfast!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:15 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
i booked my Air Transat flight just over a week ago - paid £696 return for whole of UK summer holidays.
Spoke to Air Transat airline direct (on the 0207.... UK number) about the flight/plane and if i needed to upgrade to Club Class for legroom/comfy seats etc

they advised to travel from LGW instead as the planes are larger than those leaving Manchester which means that i wouldn't have to upgrade. Also said that larger planes have individual entertainment screens
I still personally wouldn't travel on Air Transat economy whatever they say- we travelled on their so called Club Class from YVR to LGW and it is better than BA and Air Canada premium economy products- we would fly with them again on our current trip but they weren't flying when we needed them. We booked bulkhead seats which were great on Air Transat and then flew back with IcelandAir as we were spending 2 weeks in Iceland.

The configurations on whichever Airbus you choose is 2:2:2 versus 3:3:3. Sadly that says it all. TBH Bat's comments don't surprise me - we have had family travel on Club Class as well as Economy and their comment on the latter was "never again"

Update on Terminal 3- Snoop has suggested, the worst Western European airport terminal that she has visited and for once I think she is spot on!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 30th 2017 at 8:18 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

not that it matters when it comes to airline food

Never expect quality food or beverages or the point 'hey I paid for this as part of the travel, so I'm going to consume it', then, either whinge about how bad it was or get food poisoning'

For the longest time taking flights to anywhere, I have always brown bagged it, snacks in the under the seat carry-on.

Do not partake of anything the airline offers. Just put me in my seat, blindfold on & wake me up when we get to the destination. That from a direct 13 hour flight I was on from Seoul, Korea to Toronto in 1996 - never took the airline food since then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.