Flights

Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Lmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to behold
Default Flights

Who does everyone prefer to fly with? I'm currently looking around for a reasonable priced flight and westjet seem be cheapest so far. From London to Toronto
Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights

Originally Posted by Lmjt
Who does everyone prefer to fly with? I'm currently looking around for a reasonable priced flight and westjet seem be cheapest so far. From London to Toronto
Westjet don't have direct from TO to London have a look at their routing as they don't have the planes yet for that distance.

Flying from TO you have Air Canada, Air Transat, BA direct and some will do KLM or others via a EU city then connect. With the dollar at the moment I don't think going by a US carrier out of a US airport would be any cheaper.

You pay for what you get. Transat has the Club seats which are worth the extra expense but will double the price of economy seats. Look at paying at least a $1000 round trip unless you scoop up a deal or can travel last minute.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Westjet don't have direct from TO to London have a look at their routing as they don't have the planes yet for that distance.

Huh? Yes they do (or at least did). We personally flew with them from LGW to Toronto in May 2016 (they had just started this route then). We really liked WestJet and would be happy to fly with them again. Great customer service, but of course you pay for everything, but then it is cheap.

BA are permanently on our 'no fly' list for repeated screw ups and shocking service.

Quite like Air Canada - they fly out of LHR, but pricey. We will be flying their direct service from LHR to Ottawa this Easter.

Air Transat out of LGW, can be seasonal depending on location.

Would always fly direct if at all possible, otherwise the options are of course endless.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Correction the year they started trans atlantic they didn't fly direct as they were operating 737's and have now got 767's.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Lmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to beholdLmjt is a splendid one to behold

Just had a look at Air Canada and for dates we want for 2 people was over £2500 had look at Air Transet same days and a direct flight £760 for us both, can't find options on luggage though might call them.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look at Air Canada and for dates we want for 2 people was over £2500 had look at Air Transet same days and a direct flight £760 for us both, can't find options on luggage though might call them.

If you want cheap and direct (from 'London') then WestJet and Air Transat will be you best options.

I have flown with them both and would happily fly with each again. Certainly WestJet have an 'EasyJet' type approach where you pay for what you want, including each bag etc.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

leighmcgough is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew Airtransat last summer as their luggage was included in the price and food as well.

We looked at Westjet but it looked like food and luggage were extra.

We've also flown KLM but it was a lot more expensive.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Westjet are fine. Their 767s are 2-3-2 configuration, and a lot more comfortable than the "slave ship" high density (HD) config aircraft that AC are increasingly putting on to their LHR services. I've noticed BA is cutting corners and I certainly won't fly their long-haul economy product any more. Transat is also OK, but certainly aren't always the cheapest.

If you get the RBC/WestJet credit card ($99), you get $250 in Westjet Dollars after making your first purchase on the card - which you can put towards any of their fares (no buggering about with trying to redeem points for potentially non-existent availability).
You also get a companion voucher which (IIRC) gets you another seat on the same flight as the card holder for $299 - which is also good for their premium economy product (Plus).
Bag fees are also waived for card holders, you don't need to have paid using the card, my wife's got her fees waived by showing her card at the bag drop.

So if you're only looking for two seats, and want to get a good deal in premium economy, there's some good potential to be had with the WestJet c/card.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

I've just remembered one other option. Air Canada Rouge.

Avoid the regular economy seats at all costs - seat pitch is *awful*! - but I scored a very good deal last year that involved flying Rouge on their Dublin-Toronto route, and sprung the $100 for "preferred" extra legroom seating - which was a perfectly tolerable 35".

I know some people object to paying for extras, but seeing as I paid a smidge over $300 for the return trip I just factored this in to my overall total cost and still felt it was a great deal (stacked two promotional offers - a United seat sale, and a Flight Centre $100 off certain transatlantic destinations... I got very lucky for a peak summer seat! Flew out with United and was allocated a free E+ seat at check-in; the travel gods really were smiling on me last year!)

As I recall, Rouge serve Gatwick and Manchester, so there may be some competition between them and Transat on fares from time to time (and with WestJet for LGW). But if you flew Rouge both ways, you'd be looking at 2 x $100 for the extra legroom in both directions - I suspect that may be more than any price differential, but if you see an itinerary offered that has one Rouge long-haul leg, this is a trick worth considering.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Westjet fly 767's from Toronto to London. As these (ex-Qantas) aircraft are getting on a bit, their reliability was a bit of a problem last year with multi-hour delays. If they've got their spares and servicing in order, then they should be a bit more reliable this year one hopes.

Air Canada flies 787/767 & 777 to London. Avoid the 777-300HD or Slaveship configuration unless you are prepared to spring for Premium Economy. Air Canada Rouge is Air Canada's version of a low cost airline - low cost for them, same cost to you. As has been pointed out, the Rouge+ seating is acceptable but the standard Rouge is dire unless you are vertically challenged.

No idea on Transat & haven't flown BA long haul in years. Essentially in Canada air travel is a duopoly between AC & WJ. WJ has a better image but I've had perfectly acceptable service on AC so would happily fly either. It comes down to price on the dates you want to travel. In general terms, expect to pay way more than you are used to for travel from UK. Air travel is expensive in Canada.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
I've just remembered one other option. Air Canada Rouge.
Avoid the regular economy seats at all costs - seat pitch is *awful*! - but I scored a very good deal last year that involved flying Rouge on their Dublin-Toronto route, and sprung the $100 for "preferred" extra legroom seating - which was a perfectly tolerable 35".
It might depend on what is important to you, but Air Canada Rouge's, seat width was wider than competitors for the trans-Atlantic section, although its legroom is less. (Based on my research for last years flight)
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

In our recent (last 7 months) recce trips we have flown Air Canada, BA (twice) and Air Transat on trips to Canada.

Air Canada

As already mentioned by bgpz, the config of the AC aircraft is not great. Flight was delayed for hours and we got re-routed via Halifax for new crew (not ideal with a 2 year old). We got a good deal in the AC sale and if the price is right I would use them but would not pay the usual prices, especially for the open plan cabin layout.

BA

I agree that BA have been cutting corners. We have used their economy and premium economy recently and I flew YYZ - LHR in club last year. As with AC, the price has to be right to use BA in economy as the product is very poor and no better than Air Transat. Premium Economy/Club varies depending on aircraft type and as a lot of the YYZ flights use the old 747s, it isn't really worth it.

Air Transat

Cheap and cheerful. Service from the cabin crew was fine and there were no issues. Bringing plenty of M&S food on board was a lot better than the food included with BA or AC. For the price, I would use Air Transat every time in future. We have only been using AC/BA due to being based in Germany and having to get a seperate flight to LGW to connect onto the Air Transat flight, which puts the cost up to the same levels as BA or AC for us. If we were in the UK, I would use Air Transat for sure (or try Westjet).

Whatever you choose, have a good trip!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I have just checked checked the WOW airlines website

Round trip Flight May 9 - May 17 (or 18) YYZ-LGW-YYZ (via Iceland) $439.98Cdn total cost

or call them 1 - 888 209 3170

The WOW air customer service center is open 24-hours a day, 7 days a week

FAQ

https://en.wowair.ca/customer-service/faq/luggage/

https://en.wowair.ca/travel-info/opt...s-and-charges/

Last edited by not2old; Mar 28th 2017 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Air Transat and upgrading to Option Plus is a good deal.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 2:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

update, seeing that you're looking for a one-way flight London - Toronto

From the Wow airlines website, LGW-YYZ May 8 is $289/person

Check the baggage link in my previous post above for any additional costs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.