Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flight Costs/Fuel Surcharges Down?

Flight Costs/Fuel Surcharges Down?

Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:43 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Flight Costs/Fuel Surcharges Down?

Ensconced now in Toronto and taking a trip home in March so have been checking flights often over the past few weeks. With the nonsensical one-way flight charges I find myself booking another return from London > Toronto > London with the return to the UK far off into the future knowing I'll have to pay to change it I'll be getting home on the return leg of the flight I booked to come out here.

Anyway, cost for a flight (LHR>YYZ 13th March, YYZ>LHR 22nd March) with BA/AC/AF in the past month on has averaged out at about CAD $950+ with maybe $30 saved if I bite the bullet and do flight pong with the American lines and see a few airports in the states on my way there and back.

Looking tonight though it's way down to $669.58. Does anyone know what happened? And if its due to change back anytime soon?!

Checked costs through BAA's website at http://www.baa.com/ originally cos they're cheap and you can link to some good car hire deals but opodo, kayak et al are offering similar rates too.

Any clues?

Last edited by windward; Dec 21st 2008 at 3:46 am. Reason: mindblank
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flight Costs/Fuel Surcharges Down?

I checked on Air Canada a couple of days ago and it seems that have reduced their fuel surcharge quite a bit. Its anyones guess as to how long it will stay like that though...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flight Costs/Fuel Surcharges Down?

Originally Posted by compchris
I checked on Air Canada a couple of days ago and it seems that have reduced their fuel surcharge quite a bit. Its anyones guess as to how long it will stay like that though...
I guess it depends on how far ahead they have hedged. The basic seat prices seem to change little. I had an email offer from them a couple of days ago offering "cheap" tickets for travel up to the end of next year.