Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

flashing green lights

flashing green lights

Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:39 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flashing green lights

Originally Posted by iaink

Frankly I think the UK should introduce the "pull over and get the hell out of the way" rules that apply to emergency vehicles here, I think they are a great rule.
I think that generally applies, even if it's not law in the UK (is it? I dunno), it's generally observed - I don't remember any occasion where I've seen people not letting emergency vehicles have the right of way and/or pull over - you'd have to be a serious tosser to not do that....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Was that really necessary.

Miserable sod.
Charming,,,
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:53 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
how the heck did you pass ya test
You don't need to pass a test if you swap a UK license in ON, they just let us loose on the roads Which when you're learning what a 4-way Stop etc is by the seat of your pants, it can be interesting
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I think that generally applies, even if it's not law in the UK (is it? I dunno), it's generally observed - I don't remember any occasion where I've seen people not letting emergency vehicles have the right of way and/or pull over - you'd have to be a serious tosser to not do that....
it's a difference in extent, really. In the UK people will make a somewhat half-hearted attempt to pull out of the way, or clear a lane on dual carriageways or at junctions. Here, traffic in both directions pulls right over to the side of the road as a matter of course, and comes to a complete stop while the emergency vehicle is passing by.

The only other place I've witnessed such effective getting-out-of-the-way was on holiday in Switzerland, being driven round the Bern ringroad in a very busy rush hour with three or four lanes of slow-moving traffic. An ambulance came along, and an extra lane magically opened up as all the drivers squeezed over... the ambulance came through, closely followed by about 30 motorcyclists occupying the hole it had punched through the traffic.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
You don't need to pass a test if you swap a UK license in ON, they just let us loose on the roads Which when you're learning what a 4-way Stop etc is by the seat of your pants, it can be interesting
So you are saying it would be prudent for newcomers to canada to take a few lessons ???
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:57 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

So you are saying it would be prudent for newcomers to canada to take a few lessons ???
It certainly couldn't hurt....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
it's a difference in extent, really. In the UK people will make a somewhat half-hearted attempt to pull out of the way, or clear a lane on dual carriageways or at junctions. Here, traffic in both directions pulls right over to the side of the road as a matter of course, and comes to a complete stop while the emergency vehicle is passing by.

The only other place I've witnessed such effective getting-out-of-the-way was on holiday in Switzerland, being driven round the Bern ringroad in a very busy rush hour with three or four lanes of slow-moving traffic. An ambulance came along, and an extra lane magically opened up as all the drivers squeezed over... the ambulance came through, closely followed by about 30 motorcyclists occupying the hole it had punched through the traffic.
its only a 3 and 2 lane ring round bern,,,but you may have also noticed that they also have road signs showing how to react when an emergency vehical approaches,,ie "Gasse"
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:08 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

When i was last in London Uk Oct Nov 2008 i read a guy went into a jnct at RED traffic lights and got flashed by the red light camra, he was getting out of the way of an ambulance on a call, in the paper it said he got done for this 3 points and a fine:curse:
What do you think would happen here (Cnada) in the same situation.
Im sure they said he should not of done it and should of waited.....
Thats UK mentality 4u

Mag
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
They dont pull over an STOP, on BOTH sides of the road (if there is no median between), thats for sure. Thats the law here.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...not sure if it was you Batty, but didnt you have a bad spin in your car in the snow the other week if so and now you ask this question regarding green flashing lights, well do you really think its safe for you to be on the road how the heck did you pass ya test
I take it you havent seen "canadas worst driver". Batty isnt close to that level, and that all had licences. Besides, spinning in the ice can happen to anyone, and not knowing some obsure light detail hardly places you in the bottom percentile does it!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by G77
There are stop signs in the UK too, so technically you should know what to do anyway....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I think it was geedee going the other way!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:27 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
There are stop signs in the UK too, so technically you should know what to do anyway....
Stop signs yes, but 3/4 way stops etc, I never recall seeing those before. A 4-way stop in the UK would be a mini roundabout or a roundabout imo...
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:47 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It not rocket science, 4 way stops, first come first served, if the yanks can doit then anyone can.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by G77
Stop signs yes, but 3/4 way stops etc, I never recall seeing those before. A 4-way stop in the UK would be a mini roundabout or a roundabout imo...
Or a set of lights that were not working

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.